The Cecil Aronowitz International Viola Competition: Jury Concert
Cecil Aronowitz International Viola Competition and Festival
Recital Hall, Royal Birmingham Conservatoire
200 Jennens Road, B4 7XR
Festival tickets available soon.
See events pages below for individual tickets.
Young violists everywhere are invited to enter the third Cecil Aronowitz International Viola Competition, taking place between 14 - 20 November 2020 at the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire.
Run by the Royal Birmingham Conservatoire, Birmingham City University and the British Viola Society, the competition, dedicated to the South African violist Cecil Aronowitz, invites applications from violists from anywhere in the world aged 21 or under at the time of the competition (born on or after 21 November 1998).
In response to the latest developments regarding COVID-19, we are assuming that the competition in November will go ahead as planned. However, the application requirements have been amended:
- Deadline for applications deferred to 31st May 2020.
- Applicants may film their submissions on a phone if a higher quality device is unavailable.
- Please ensure that there is a full view of you and your instrument in the video.
- You must perform all of the required pieces back-to-back in one recording with no editing.
- The sonata movement may be performed without accompaniment OR you may instead perform a caprice.
We are grateful to you for your enquiries and continued interest amidst these difficult circumstances.
Any further queries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch at email@example.com
- Concerto recording with BBC Concert Orchestra & EM Records
- Performance at the English Music Festival
- £5000 (British Viola Society & British Violin Making Association)
- Fine viola bow (Bishop Instruments & Bows)
- KorkferRest, Strings, Rosin (Pirastro)
- £3000 (Tertis Foundation)
- Fine viola bow (from Ayres Violins)
- Pirastro products
- £1500 (Gwyn Williams Trust & Pirastro)
- Pirastro products
(Additional competition-round prizes to be won.)
- All competitors must be age 21 or under at the time of the competition.
- Any competitors under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian.
- All competitors must be members of the British Viola Society.
- Competitors of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
Royal Birmingham Conservatoire and the Cecil Aronowitz International Viola Competition and Festival would like to thank the following organisations for their support.