Frequently asked questions

Applying for Accommodation

When can I apply for accommodation?

The accommodation application will open on/after 3 March 2020.

From 3 March 2020 if you have chosen BCU as your first choice, and have accepted a firm course offer you will then be sent an email with a link to the accommodation portal in order to make an application.

Please view the appropriate portfolio for your academic year in-take. If there are medical or mobility factors which have a bearing on your accommodation needs, please provide full details and supporting evidence at the time of application to enable us to allocate appropriately. You may also wish to contact the Disability Services Team for advice and assistance by clicking on or calling +44 (0)121 331 5588.

To register and apply for accommodation you will need to use your University Application number/Student ID (it has eight numeric characters):

      • Register in the Accommodation Portal

      • Select your Application Pathway that is relevant to your Campus

      • Where required please select your accommodation preferences and contract length which is suitable for your course

      • Please use the Additional Information section to advise us of any requirements that is relevant to the allocation of your room

Note: to avoid any delay please ensure you frequently check the progress of your application.

Why am I not able to register in the Accommodation Portal?

There are several reasons why you may not be able to register;

      • Birmingham City University is your insurance choice
      • You have not yet accepted your course offer
      • You have used an incorrect University Application Number - in some students assume the UCAS ID is the same as the University Application Number, this is not the case
      • Your details are not on the University's admissions system
      • You may have entered your personal details incorrectly

If you need any assistance please contact Accommodation Services 

What if I don't have a University Application Number?

Your University Application Number should be on your offer email. It is made up of eight unique numbers this should be on your Birmingham City University Course Offer. If you are unable to locate this number please contact Accommodation Services

Why have I not received my validation code email?

Please allow up to 30 minutes to receive the email and also check your spam/junk emails. If you have still not received the email, contact Accommodation Services

How much is the rent?

Please see individual accommodation location pages for prices, alternatively you can view the Residence Fee Summary for 2019-20. Please note: 2020/21 the rents will be confirmed on 31 January 2020.

Residence Fee Summary 2019-20

I am a student with disabilities or a long term health condition. Will my accommodation needs be met?

If you have a disability or long-term health condition which causes you significant difficulties in your day-to-day life it is essential that you contact Accommodation Services as soon as possible to discuss your specific requirements. We will not be able to make you a room offer until we can confirm that reasonable adjustments can be made. We may be able to offer you accommodation for the duration of your course but due to possible changes in the portfolio this may not be the same accommodation each year.

If you have a personal support worker who will be enabling you to live independently at university, we can also provide a room for them (the full cost of this room is applicable).

Please ensure you have also informed the Disability team of your medical condition

What if I am studying at Birmingham City University for one Semester?

We aim to provide accommodation at University Locks for Semester students, this is subject to availability.

Can I apply if BCU is my Insurance choice?

Once Birmingham City University becomes your firm choice, (which is usually after you have received your results), you will then be able to then apply for accommodation.

We do not guarantee but will aim to provide you with a room in University accommodation. If there are no rooms available we will assist you in finding alternative accommodation with a University-approved provider. You must apply through the on-line process if accommodation is required by 31 August 2020.

I am a Late /Clearing applicant to the University. Will you still guarantee me accommodation?

If you are a late/clearing applicant we do not guarantee but will aim to provide you with a room in University accommodation. If there are no rooms available we will assist you in finding alternative accommodation with a University-approved provider. You must apply through the on-line process if accommodation is required by 31 August 2020.

Allocation Process

When will I know I have been allocated a room?

Students who have accepted an Unconditional Course Offer at BCU as their first choice will receive a room offer from 1 April 2020. Students who have accepted a Conditional Course Offer at BCU as their first choice will receive a room offer from 13 August 2020.

You will receive an email from Accommodation Services informing you that you have been offered a room, please ensure you accept and make the relevant payment required before the offer deadline date (three days UK Students or five days for EU/Overseas students) which will be stated in the accommodation portal. Please follow the instructions in the email on how to accept your offer.

Please Note: If you have been allocated a room at Jennens Court, Lakeside, Staniforth House, The Heights, Bagot Street or Belgrave View your offer and contract is with one of our University Partner Providers.

If you miss the offer deadline date your room offer will be withdrawn. If your offer is withdrawn and you still require accommodation you will be required to make a new application and your application will be placed accordingly in the queue to await allocation.

Can I live with my friend/s?

If you wish to live with a friend/s, you must both/all clearly indicate this on each of your application forms in the additional information section. We will endeavour, but cannot guarantee to place you near to each other, this will depend on course offer status at the point of applications made and is subject to availability. 

How are students grouped in shared accommodation?

We take into account age, gender and course in order to place students near to others with whom they may have something in common, but not necessarily in the same flat.

Am I guaranteed my top preference?

We cannot guarantee you will receive your first choice of accommodation. Your preferences will be used as a guideline and we will make every effort to offer you your preferred accommodation but this is dependent on the availability of rooms at the time of allocation.

What if I am unhappy with my Room Offer?

We will offer you the best option available on the day of allocation, taking into account date of application, availability, suitability, additional information provided and the need to create a balanced community in halls.

If your offer is rejected or withdrawn and you still require accommodation, you will be required to make a new application and your application will be placed accordingly in the queue to await allocation.

Is there provision for students under the age of 18?

All student accommodation is an adult environment where most residents are aged over 18. Students sharing a flat with a student under the age of 18 will not have been vetted. All bedrooms are single occupancy however, students will share kitchen/dining/lounge facilities. Allocations are not based on age, gender or religious belief.

Is a payment required to accept the Room Offer?

Yes – you are required to pay either an advance payment or deposit to accept the room offer, depending on which accommodation you have been offered. Please see each of the accommodation pages or the Facilities Summary.

Do I need a guarantor?

For the majority of the accommodation sites, you are required to provide a guarantor. Please see each of the accommodation pages or click on the Facilities Summary.


When can I move in?

You can move in on the start date as indicated on your Tenancy or Licence Agreement. If you need to move in earlier or later than this date please contact Accommodation Services to advise them

Can I view my accommodation before I move in?

It is not possible to view the halls of residence independently, but some faculties do arrange talks and viewings as part of their Applicant Visit Days. Tours of selected halls are also available on our University Open Days

What is provided in my room/flat?


  • Bed with mattress

  • Mattress protector

  • Desk, chair, wardrobe

  • Bookshelf, notice board, mirror

  • Blinds or curtains


  • Fridge/freezer

  • Cooker

  • Microwave

  • Toaster/kettle

  • Vacuum cleaner

  • Dustpan & brush, mop & bucket, Kitchen Bin

  • Iron/ironing board

What items do I need to bring?

  • Bedding (duvet, pillows, sheets, pillowcases) - just remember to check your bed size first!
  • Laptop/mobile phone and charger/s
  • Towels (tea and bathroom)
  • Cutlery and crockery (plates, bowls, mugs, glasses, pots & pans, knives and forks)
  • Clothes hangers
  • Medicines (paracetamol, lemsip, plasters)
  • Cleaning products (washing up liquid, surface cleaner, sponge, scourer)
  • Basic food provisions until you do your first shop
  • Home comforts

Remember, it all has to fit in your room (and car). Plus, a lot of things you can buy when you get here.

You can pre-order bedding and kitchen packs from the Unikitout website and they will be delivered to your room ready for your arrival. Use the promotional code 'BCITY10' – this discounts all orders by 10 per cent. Please ensure that delivery date for these kits on or after 2 September 2020.

What items are not permitted?

  • Pets
  • Candles, joss sticks, oil sticks, heated wax
  • Fireworks
  • Portable heaters
  • Plug in fairy lights
  • Your own furnishings/curtains
  • Foam covered bedding material and inflatable furniture
  • Fridges
  • Electric blankets

Can I send my luggage/parcels in advance of my arrival?

No, as there are no storage facilities available. Please do not send anything in advance of your arrival at the University.

Can I bring a car?

Parking is extremely limited and costly, it is much easier to get around by bus/bicycle or on foot, as well as being better for the environment.

There is limited parking at The Heights and Belgrave View, (please contact them directly to check availability and cost).

There is no parking available at University Locks, Jennens Court, Lakeside, Staniforth House and Bagot Street.

What options of contract length are there?

39, 40, 41, 43, 44, 45 and 45.4 week contracts are most suitable for undergraduates, whereas postgraduates usually prefer the 51 Week contract. If you choose a shorter contract and find you need to extend over the summer vacation, you can apply for this directly with the accommodation provider.

Do I need a TV licence for my room if I choose to watch TV?

If you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand – you will need a licence. Get more information about TV licensing.

Do I need to upgrade my contents insurance?

This will depend on what equipment/belongings you will be keeping in your accommodation. It is advisable to obtain additional for specific items such as musical instruments and laptops.

Enter your policy number at to check your policy details.

Visit the review cover link to:

  • Check what is covered
  • Check key exclusions and limitations
  • Check your policy excess
  • Check how to make a claim, extend and personalise your cover.

Policy numbers below:

Bagot Street             HH1225
Belgrave View        
Jennens Court 
Staniforth House
The Heights            
University Locks    

It is important to find out exactly what you are covered for as you may find that the contents cover is not sufficient and you need to extend it to protect all of your possessions both inside and outside of your room.

What is the Accommodation Induction and when is this available to view?

The Online Induction/Welcome contains important information about your move to Birmingham City University, including where you'll need to go to collect your keys, the teams who are here to help you during your stay, safety information, health and wellbeing advice, and lots more.

You will be emailed a link to your online induction prior to arrival.

How can I find my postal address?

You can view your postal address on the specific accommodation page on our website or once you have accepted your accommodation offer you, will be emailed with a link to your accommodation Facebook page where you can view this.

Do I need to register with a doctor in Birmingham?

We strongly encourage students new to Birmingham to register with our healthcare provider Handsworth Wood Medical Centre (part of the Modality Partnership), which runs surgeries from City Centre and City South campuses.


What accommodation is available after the first year?

Returning students in their second year and above also able to re-book direct with some of our partner providers.

Unite Students

Student Roost

CLV (Campus Living Villages)

Our Student Union also has its own letting agency, Birmingham City Student Homes and they are able to provide a range of properties within Birmingham.

BCUSU Student Homes

I want to change rooms, what can I do?

Please contact your site accommodation office to discuss your request to transfer.

Do I need to vacate my room during the Christmas/Easter Vacation?

No, you do not need to move your belongings or vacate the room during these holidays.

How do I collect my post/parcels?

There are post boxes for each flat, so you should arrange for your letters to be delivered to you directly.

Reception can receive packages and parcels on your behalf, which will be stored until you are able to collect them. You will be notified once a parcel has been received which will include instructions on when and where to collect it.

Please ensure that all packages are addressed correctly.

Can I have visitors?

Yes – visitors are permitted. Please view the visitors’ policy in your accommodation contract or contact the reception to enquire about this. 

Is accommodation covered by a code of practice?

Under the 2004 Housing Act, University Locks accommodation complies with the Universities UK Student Accommodation Code for University managed student accommodation.

Please click for further information about the Code

Jennens Court, Lakeside, Belgrave View, Bagot Street, Staniforth House and The Heights are fully accredited by the Accreditation Network UK (ANUK) code. This code ensures that residents benefit from clear policies and procedures relating to Health and Safety, effective day-to-day management and completion of maintenance and repairs, detailed procedures for dealing with any complaints and/or disputes, Student Welfare and Environmental Quality.

Please click for further information about the Code

Can't find what you're looking for?

Contact us

Get in touch and a member of our accommodation team will get back to you as soon as possible.

Get in Touch

Phone us

If you still can't find what you're looking for give us a call. Office hours: Mon-Thurs 9am-5pm, Fri 9am-4pm.

0121 331 5191