Our focus on employability
University is your best career move – it will give you the opportunity to get a better job, earn more money and reach your full potential.
At Birmingham City University, we've been launching careers since 1843, and we're dedicated to ensuring our students develop the skills employers need.
Six months after graduating, 97.4 per cent of our graduates were in employment or further study. (DLHE survey 2016/17)
Gain an advantage
Our graduates gain an advantage in the job market because:
- We work with companies like Microsoft, Cisco and Cartier to develop cutting edge curriculums and to collaborate on course projects.
- We attract the best staff – including both academic experts and experienced business leaders with the latest knowledge and industry contacts.
- We offer students opportunities for work placements, Erasmus years and sandwich courses.
- We operate an ‘employer mentoring scheme’, which gives second and third year students the chance to learn from employers or successful alumni.
Learning through doing
Like at all universities, our students learn in lecture theatres and in tutorials. But our students get the added bonus of learning through doing, which prepares them for the workplace:
- Our law students debate in simulated courts and our teaching students enjoy replica classrooms.
- Our media and art students enjoy state-of-the-art blue screen video production suites and photographic studios.
- We’ve pioneered virtual learning environments for our teaching students.
- Our business students benefit from our Student Enterprise Society, which helps them to start businesses together.
Find out more
Here are some more of the ways we're working to ensure our students are among the most employable in the UK:
- The Careers and Job Prospects Service helps students and graduates to develop employability and career management skills. Services include providing access to jobs and work experience opportunities, employer mentoring and recruitment events.
- Knowledge Transfer Partnerships (KTPs) create three-way partnerships between graduates, leading businesses and the University to solve real world problems.
- Our bespoke Knowledge Innovation Technology Transfer Scheme (KITTS) matches the skills of qualified graduates and postgraduates with the specific needs of businesses.
- The Education Development Service (EDS) is working with academic staff and course teams to develop student employability in the classroom as an integral part of the curriculum.
Find your course
You’ll find a diverse and welcoming environment at Birmingham City University, at the heart of the UK's second largest city. Our staff, students and alumni come from more than 100 countries and benefit from our £340 million investment in facilities.