Cookies and Privacy

The University uses cookies on this website to provide the best experience possible including delivering personalised content on this website, other websites and social media. By continuing to use the site you agree to this, or your can go to our cookie policy to learn more and manage your settings.

Arriving in the UK

Coronavirus information for International students

If you are travelling to the UK from outside of the Common Travel Area you are required to provide a negative Covid-19 test result before you are allowed to commence travel. See info:  Coronavirus testing before travel to the UK.

The UK is operating a 'traffic light' system (green, amber, red) which every person travelling to, and arriving in, the UK is subject to. The colour you are subject to depends on where you are planning to to travel to the UK from. The system exists to try to prevent the spread of Covid-19 variants. It is in place to minimise travel to the UK and ensure that those who do travel, do so according to the guidance. For those people subject to the red list - the strictest colour - some are banned from travelling to the UK altogether, whilst others are allowed to travel but must quarantine in specially-arranged hotel accommodation when they arrive.

Most people (including all those subject to red requirements and all of those from amber requirements - but note below the exception from 2 August 2021 for travel into England) are subject to self-isolation ('quarantine') rules after arrival in the UK. There are some people who are subject to the green requirements who may not have to quarantine.

From 2 August 2021 those fully vaccinated in the US or in the EU (there are separate rules for those vaccinated in France), and coming into England from an amber list country, except for France, will be able to travel into England without having to quarantine on arrival (note: this does not apply for travel into Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland). See here for further information, including what qualifies as being fully vaccinated, the separate rules for those coming from France and continued requirements for testing. 

Otherwise, and where quarantining (self-isolating) on arrival is required, having a negative Covid-19 test result will not remove the requirement.

International students FAQs

When should I travel to the UK to start/continue my course?

International students should carefully check the entry requirements and restrictions before travelling to the UK at, and contact the International Office at

When do I need to arrive in the UK for my course in the next academic year?

We will support students with flexible arrival until week 4, exceptionally allowing international students an extended arrival beyond week 4 to support any quarantine required, provided they engage with online lectures by week 4.

If you are unable to arrive in the UK for the start of your course, a tailored session will be organised for a member of the course team to discuss a support plan for you, which will then be in place until you are able to join us on campus.

If you are required to self-isolate, you should continue to engage with learning online during your period of isolation. The University will provide food vouchers to you during your isolation period. Support will also be offered to students required to self-isolate by the University’s Mental Health and Wellbeing team.

I have already arrived in the UK. Can I access campus?

The Government has advised that international students already in the country are still able to access study spaces and certain support services on campus. You must ensure you comply with any quarantine and lockdown measures in place. Lateral flow Covid-19 tests will be available to all staff and students coming onto campus. If you are coming onto campus please book your test here.

Students will not need to complete a registration form before arriving.

If you are in the UK please email us at with the date you arrived and a scanned copy of your passport and your BRP if you have it. If you do not have your BRP, please send a scanned copy of your passport and we will provide further details about how to collect your BRP from us.

Can I still start/continue my course online if I’m not in the UK?

You should still engage with your course online. The University will support you to minimise any disruption to your learning.

All of your online learning will be available on our virtual learning platform, Moodle. You can find all your course information and resources, join discussion groups, submit assignments and talk to your course leader on Moodle.

Simply login at using your BCU login details to get started. You can also access Moodle on the mobile app and via iCity.

Download a guide to using Moodle

If your course is using an alternative virtual learning platform, you will be sent information with more details soon.

I have just returned from overseas. Do I need a test?

Students who have returned from overseas should follow all government guidance when arriving in the country, and are encouraged to take a test before coming onto campus.