Choosing where to study is a big decision and you’ll want to make sure you choose the right fit for you. Here’s a few top reasons why you should study computing at Birmingham City University.
As a student here, you'll have access to our quality computing facilities, which include:
- A specialist forensics laboratory fully equipped with essential hardware and software for sensitive area of study.
- A specialist games laboratory which houses high specification game development PCs, Sony PlayStation Dev Kits and a range of industry standard software.
- Our laboratories, featuring specialist hardware training and development resources, and industry-standard software development and simulation tools.
- Our City Centre Campus houses a range of facilities that you will have full access to, across our Millennium Point and Parkside Buildings – including, a Vicon motion capture studio, one of the largest fixed green screen studios in the UK and a Milo motion control system.
- Your learning will span across all of these campuses to make the most of our outstanding facilities – including seven industry standard recording studios, SSL mixing desks (more than anywhere else in Europe!) and complete AV digital interconnection.
Strong links with industry
To help you to stand out in today’s competitive jobs market, our courses offer a placement option. Our students have undertaken placements with companies including: Cisco Systems, IBM, Royal Shakespeare Company, Pinewood and more. Our location in the city centre means we have great industry partnerships providing you with placement and graduate opportunities.
The University is a Select Partner academy for Cisco Systems. It is the largest Academy Support Centre in the UK. We’re also a Microsoft Academy Centre and one of Microsoft’s top UK university-based academies. Students can become certified trainers such as Luke Tainton, who now works at Cisco.
We offer a range of scholarships designed to support you throughout your studies. Discover scholarships such as the Co-op scholarship and see if you’re eligible.
Located in Digbeth, STEAMhouse is BCU’s centre for innovation and creation. It is a place where you can explore a new product idea, network with industry professionals and have the opportunity to apply for an SME grant of £2,500 to go towards your materials and prototypes.
Learn from the experts
When you study with us, you’ll be taught by a range of staff who use their years of industry experience and knowledge to help prepare you for the world of work. This includes Professor Andy Aftelak, the Head of the School, Computing and Digital Technology. He is an experienced engineer and senior executive with 26 years of service at top companies including Google and Motorola. Learn more about our talented lecturers by reading their profiles.
Exciting events to be part of
This year Birmingham Tech Week will be running a number of events online to celebrate its tech industry and encourage collaboration to occur.
You’ll also get the chance to take part in Innovation Fest and our annual Hacks. These are great opportunities to expand your skills and showcase your creations.
Our Students Union has many societies you can join, or set up your own! Hackathon and Computing Society (HaCS) and Film Society are just a few that you can join to get involved in events, workshops and social sessions. Each society is led by a team of student volunteers, and you can join at any point throughout your time here.
We are passionate about gender balance in science and technology, which is why we are official members of WISE.
Coupled with this agenda we also have representatives from within the faculty acting as Ambassadors for the Women in Games initiative. These links allow our students to actively participate in events that encourage and promote engagement from women and girls in STEM related areas. Examples include the UK University Diversity in eSports Conference 2020 hosted by Women in Games.
Find out more
To be part of the School of Computing and Digital Technology visit our courses page to find the right degree for you.