Business Management (Apprenticeship) - BA (Hons)
Currently viewing course to start in 2024/25 Entry. Switch to 2023/24 Entry
Combining a degree with on-the-job training, the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (CMDA) has been jointly developed by employers, universities and the Chartered Management Institute. At Birmingham City University, the CMDA will provide the opportunity to gain a degree in BA (Hons) Business Management, a professional qualification and paid relevant work experience....
- Level Apprenticeship
- Study mode Blended Learning
- Location City Centre
- Award BA (Hons)
- Start date September 2024
- School Birmingham City Business School
- Faculty Faculty of Business, Law and Social Sciences
Combining a degree with on-the-job training, the Chartered Manager Degree Apprenticeship (CMDA) has been jointly developed by employers, universities and the Chartered Management Institute.
At Birmingham City University, the CMDA will provide the opportunity to gain a degree in BA (Hons) Business Management, a professional qualification and paid relevant work experience.
As an approved apprenticeship standard, it allows employers to use the apprenticeship levy and gives apprentices a head start in their management career.
Our CMDA is a three-year work-based learning course, offering flexible delivery options including day release and block release, using blended learning to suit employees in a wide variety of management roles at companies of all sizes.
Topics covered include Contemporary HR for Managers, Marketing Foundations, Finance for Managers, Operations for Managers, Supply Chain Management, Applied Management and Contemporary Global Management Issues. There will also be opportunities for negotiated work-based learning.
How to apply
You apply for a degree apprenticeship in the same way you apply for a normal job. You’ll need to submit an application to the recruiting employer.
Employers advertise degree apprenticeships throughout the year and there is no application cycle like there is with university applications. The vacancy will state when the application deadline is, and when the apprenticeship is due to start.
You cannot apply directly to the University for a degree apprenticeship. To apply for an apprenticeship, you first need to find one that you are interested in applying for.
Find an Apprenticeship is the government website where the majority of apprenticeship vacancies are advertised. It only shows live jobs (so it won’t tell you previous vacancies, nor what’s coming up), so you will need to check it regularly to see new vacancies as the employers advertise them.
What's covered in this course?
Your learning will embrace the development and operation of business markets, the management of key resources including human capital, financial management, strategic management and cultural awareness. In addition, you’ll gain an insight into digital business exploring how technology has remodelled the business world, and reflect on the accompanying issues around social responsibility and ethical behaviour.
Our accreditation by the CMI ensures you’ll be provided with the latest information and knowledge, as well as providing key industry links and insight.
This course is accredited by:
Why study on a higher or degree apprenticeship?
Essentially, you get the best of both worlds – all the academic challenge of a highly regarded degree, alongside a full-time wage and your first step on the career ladder with a prestigious employer.
You will work with and make connections with people in your chosen industry who can help you achieve your career goals in the future. And at the end of the course, you will have between three and six years' work experience, a degree-level qualification, and you won’t owe any tuition fees.
You will have to have (or be predicted to achieve) at least 112 UCAS points at A-Level in any discipline excluding General Studies. You will also have GCSE grade C in Maths and English Language (or equivalent).
Applicants should also have great organisation skills, be IT literate and have a good attention to detail. Additionally, you will need to have some work and/or volunteer experience under your belt.
Why Choose Us?
- This degree course is aligned with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).This means that the course is as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- You’ll be involved in real world business projects and hear from leading industry speakers, who will share current thinking around business and management.
- Recognising the global scope of business, all our courses have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one.
- We put a heavy emphasis on the hands-on skills needed in modern business management, with practical assessments as well as exams.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s business district, one of the largest in the UK
Facilities & Staff
We are constantly investing in our estate and have spent £340 million on new learning facilities.
The Curzon Building
This course is based at our City Centre Campus – and specifically The Curzon Building, alongside other Social Sciences, Law and Business students.
The £63m building offers students a unique social learning space, including a dedicated student hub incorporating student support services, in the heart of Birmingham’s Eastside development.
The Business floors house an extensive number of IT facilities, breakout areas, and specialised rooms. The Marketing Link Agency is designed to replicate a modern marketing firm, allowing students to get real-life experience of working in the marketing sector. There is also the City Trading Room, which features state of the art stock market tracking equipment, keeping you up to date with all the financial comings and goings of the London Stock Exchange and Wall Street.
The Curzon building is also conveniently close to Birmingham’s business and financial centre, allowing for strong links between your studies and the real world.
The Curzon Building also features:
- An impressive library with access to over 65 million full text items and stunning views of Eastside City Park
- Your Students’ Union which is located in a beautifully restored 19th century pub, The Eagle and Ball
- A modern 300-seat food court with space to study and socialise
- Accessible IT facilities with full Office365 for all students for free
- Shared facilities with the wider campus including the Parkside Building and Millennium Point