Cookies and Privacy

The University uses cookies on this website to provide the best experience possible including delivering personalised content on this website, other websites and social media. By continuing to use the site you agree to this, or your can go to our cookie policy to learn more and manage your settings.

Once you're here

Register with a doctor The National Health Service

Useful numbers

University medical rooms

+44 (0)121 331 7979

Handsworth Wood Medical Centre

+44 (0)121 523 7117

The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK's state health service and provides treatment for UK residents.

Some services are free and some have to be paid for. The NHS provides medical treatment in four main ways:


Register with a local doctor

Most people register with a local doctor called a GP (General Practitioner). Doctors normally work from a GP surgery or Health Centre, and there will normally also be a nurse. The GP is usually the first point of contact for medical treatment as most illnesses and other problems can be treated by a GP or nurse. You normally need to book an appointment to see a GP or nurse.


NHS Walk-in Clinic

These nurse-led clinics offer access to a range of medical treatment for minor injuries and illness.



If your GP refers you to hospital for treatment, you will usually see a specialist consultant for an appointment, or be admitted to a ward and stay overnight or longer.


Accident and Emergency (A&E)

You should only call an ambulance by dialling 999, or visit an A&E department for urgent or life-threatening emergencies.

Do I have to pay for NHS treatment?

The type of visa you have will affect if you have to pay for NHS treatment.

Tier 4 Student Visa for less than 6 months

Accident and emergency services will be free but not follow-up treatment, or admission as an in-patient to hospital. We would strongly advise you get medical insurance before you leave your home country to make sure you are covered for health costs as they can be very expensive.

Tier 4 Student Visa for 6 months or month

As part of your visa application you will have paid an NHS healthcare surcharge, this means you will qualify for free NHS hospital treatment.

Please note that you may still have to pay for some NHS services such as dental care, eye tests and prescriptions for medicine.

NHS dentist treatment and prescriptions from an NHS GP are charged at a fixed rate.

Register with a doctor

It is very important to register with a doctor’s surgery within your first couple of weeks in the UK. You can register with the University’s healthcare provider, or find an alternative surgery by visiting the NHS website.

Our healthcare service is provided by Handsworth Wood Medical Centre, which has consulting rooms at the University’s City Centre and City South Campuses.

You can register with the University’s healthcare service online, or at the registration session the weekend immediately before Welcome Week.

Alternatively, please visit one of our medical rooms and register there instead.