Protecting your student visa
As a Tier 4 (General) student, Birmingham City University has chosen to sponsor you under its Sponsor Licence.
In order to remain in the UK for the duration of your course, you need to abide by the terms of your visa. You also need to comply with University requirements to ensure we are able to continue sponsoring you as a Tier 4 student. If you don’t follow these conditions your visa may be cancelled and you may have to leave the UK and you could also have future visa applications refused.
We want to support you in keeping these conditions and have therefore outlined your key immigration responsibilities to help you have a safe and problem-free stay at the University and here in the UK.
If you have any questions please contact the International Student Advisors.
Your immigration responsibilities
- Provide us with your passport and visa/biometric ID card when you enrol. You may also be required to present these documents as requested at any point during your studies with us.
- Ensure that your visa is valid for study at Birmingham City University.
- Keep your contact details in the UK up to date with us and with the UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI).
- Ensure that you attend all of your classes, tutorials and lectures and the regular UKVI Contact Points and ensure that you seek permission for any absences.
- Follow University procedures if you need to interrupt your studies or withdraw from your course.
- Return to your home country if you take an interruption of studies or are withdrawn from your course.
- Enrol on your course on time each academic year. If this isn’t possible, inform us so that we can assist you where possible.
- Comply with the conditions attached to your visa regarding working in the UK and registering with the police.
- Follow University procedures if you plan to change your course or take a sandwich course.
- Check your University email account regularly for immigration information and updates.
- Take and keep copies of the passport and visa/biometric residence card (BRP).
- Keep contact details up to date.
- Ensure that we only enrol students with valid leave to study with us.
- Report all students to the UKVI who do not enrol within the specified enrolment period.
- Monitor attendance and report any unauthorised non-attendance to UKVI.
- Monitor changes of status and to report interruptions and withdrawals to UKVI.
- Notify UKVI of any significant changes to your circumstances, such as a change of course or early completion of a course.
- Notify the UKVI if we become aware of any breaches of your immigration conditions.
Please note that the conditions and responsibilities detailed in the “Protecting your Student Visas” pages of the University’s website are not comprehensive and do not represent a full statement of immigration or visa requirements. It is your responsibility to be aware of your own visa conditions. You should ensure you understand your visa conditions and keep up to date with any changes to immigration rules during your stay in the UK in order to protect your immigration status.