Change in circumstances

Group of students It is important to be aware that certain changes in your circumstances and student status can affect your visa and ability to remain in the UK.

Contact details

As a Student Route Visa holder it is a legal requirement that you keep your contact details up to date with the University and the Home Office (UKVI).

Updating the University

For the University, this includes your UK address details and a UK telephone number.

If you change address or telephone number you MUST:

  1. Log into
  2. Select 'Address'
  3. Change your current address / telephone number
  4. Click 'Save'
Updating the Home Office (UKVI)

You must also change your address with the Home Office:

Follow the instructions to use the online form or send your change of address details and supporting documents to:

Change of address team
7th floor, Lunar House
40 Wellesley Road

Change of course

If during your studies at BCU, you find that the course you are studying is not suitable for you, you need to be aware that changing course may have immigration implications. In the first instance you must submit the Course Approval Form to your Faculty Student Centre who will assess whether it is academically possible. If it is an acceptable change, the UKVI Compliance team will then confirm whether the immigration rules allow you to make the change depending on a number of factors such as subject area, time already spent in the UK etc. 

You should never start attending a different course before receiving written approval from the University.

Change of institution

If you have decided that you want to study at another institution in the UK, there are significant visa implications to be considered and therefore it is essential that you speak to one of the University’s International Student Advisors as soon as possible. Depending on your circumstances, you may be required to return to your home country to apply for fresh entry clearance before you can change institution.

Break in Studies

If you need to take a break from your studies, you may be required to take a Break in Studies. During a “Break in Studies”, the University will need to withdraw your sponsorship under the Student Visa Route and we will inform the Home Office of this. You will need to return to your home country during a “Break in Studies”.

Withdrawing from studies

During your studies, you may decide that you want to withdraw from your course or the University may withdraw you due to misconduct or non-engagement for example. The University must report any withdrawn students to the Home Office and you would need to return to your home country.

Undertake a work placement

If you undertake a work placement that is an integral and assessed part of your course, the University must provide the Home Office with the details of this placement, including the contact details and address for your employer. Those intending to partake in a “sandwich” year should be aware that they will be required to obtain a new visa for this and should seek advice from the International Student Advisors before starting the placement.