Business Management with Enterprise - BA (Hons)
The Business Management with Enterprise course will offer you a practical based degree applicable to a wide range of sectors. You will be able to contribute to critical debates on industry related contemporary issues and understand the dynamic needs of business managers in the 21st century to reflect current knowledge and best practices....
Studying with us in 2021/22 and 2022/23
The University has put in place measures in response to Covid-19 to allow us to safely deliver our courses. Information about the arrangements for the 2021/22 academic year can be found here.
Should the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic continue in the 2022/23 academic year or subsequent years of your course, any additional and/or alternative arrangements put in place by the University in response will be in accordance with the latest government public health advice, pandemic-related/health and safety legislation, and the terms and conditions of the student contract.
The Business Management with Enterprise course will offer you a practical based degree applicable to a wide range of sectors.
You will be able to contribute to critical debates on industry related contemporary issues and understand the dynamic needs of business managers in the 21st century to reflect current knowledge and best practices.
You will gain specialist knowledge on a number of core functions of management, building your self-confidence to prepare you for a progressive and successful career in management. Exciting opportunities including integrated work projects and business placements in the UK or abroad are all featured in your course, therefore your career can start whilst achieving your qualification. You will have the benefit of renowned industry speakers and live projects to inspire and help you to develop.
The course provides a route for those interested in development and sustainability of new enterprises, offering a route for launching their own enterprise or being entrepreneurial within an organisation. Whether you have an idea in mind or like the idea of launching something new and different, taking the enterprise route maybe for you.
You will be exposed to key enterprise modules which will help you get from idea to launch underpinned by academic theory. This route which will be embedded throughout your programme will look to develop your entrepreneurial skills, abilities and behaviours, provide you with the tools you need to become a future entrepreneur. Similarly, the Business Management course embeds the UN Sustainable Development Goals as an integral part of the course.
Tailor your Business Management Degree
Our suite of Business Management courses, available both full time and part time, will enable you to tailor your interests to a specific area. You even have the opportunity to change your degree path after completing your first year. Our Business Management pathways include:
What's covered in this course?
The development and operation of contemporary and international business markets will be embraced in your learning. This will also include the management of key resources including human capital, financial management, strategic management and cultural awareness. You’ll gain an important insight into digital business exploring how technology remodels the business world and consider the accompanying issues around social responsibility and ethical behaviour.
This course is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). This ensures you’ll be provided with the latest information and knowledge, as well as providing key industry links and insight. Success on the programme will additionally award you with a CMI professional certificate.
Why Choose Us?
- This degree course is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).This means that the course is as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- On all of our courses you will gain a professional focus and real world experience of management, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in the business world. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long professional placement as part of your degree course.
- You’ll be involved in real world business projects and hear from leading industry speakers, who will share current thinking around business and management. You’ll also get the chance to go behind the scenes at places such as the luxury outlet shopping centre Bicester Village and Manchester United Football Club with our trips and visits.
- Recognising the global scope of business, all our courses have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, including our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award course enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- Our staff have worked in managerial roles for some of the biggest brands in the world, including the likes of Tesco and Selfridges.
- You’ll be able to choose from two distinct associated courses – Supply Chain Management or Enterprise, enabling you to tailor your interests to a specific course. Conversely, you could stay on the main Management route. The flexibility of the course means you aren’t tied down to any set career path – the skills you learn can be applied to any industry, whether you’re working in large teams or individually.
- We put a heavy emphasis on the hands-on skills needed in modern business management, with practical assessments as well as exams.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s business district, one of the largest in the UK
- The course will prepare you for a variety of management roles, whether they are based in the public, private or voluntary sector, a multinational company, a local organisation or your own business.
- You will be able to work on exciting projects for real-life clients through our Business Advice Centre, giving you exposure to the challenges and issues faced by businesses as well as the chance to develop successful solutions. Opportunities are available with local, regional, national and even global businesses such as BMW.
- The Centre also offers expert support for your own entrepreneurial ideas, so you can start planning your own start-up or take your existing business to the next level. Following graduation, you will have the opportunity to apply for STEAMhouse Business Incubator membership.
Find out more
- Business Management - BA (Hons) - 2022/23 Entry
- Business Management (Apprenticeship) - BA (Hons) - 2022/23 Entry
- Business Management with Supply Chain Management - BA (Hons) - 2022/23 Entry
- Esports Management - BA (Hons) - 2022/23 Entry
- Event, Venue and Experience Management - BA (Hons) - 2022/23 Entry
- Global Hospitality Management - BSc (Hons) - 2022/23 Entry
- Global Sport Management - BA (Hons) - 2022/23 Entry
- Human Resource Management - BA (Hons) - 2022/23 Entry
- Business and Management (South and City College Birmingham) - HND - 2022/23 Entry
- Business Management with a Foundation Year - BA (Hons) - 2022/23 Entry
We accept a range of qualifications, the most popular of which are detailed below.
BBC or 112 UCAS tariff points from a maximum of 3 subjects.
|Level 2 Qualifications|
|UK Qualification||Requirements 2022/23|
|Irish Leaving Certificate (Ordinary Level)||
|Scottish National 5||
|Plus one of the following Level 3 (and above) Qualifications|
|UK Qualification||Requirements 2022/23|
|A level and Advanced VCE||
|AAT Diploma in Accounting (QCF)||
|Access to HE Diploma||
IBO Certificate in Higher Level
International Baccalaureate Diploma
IFS / LIBF Diploma in Financial Studies
Irish Leaving Certificate (Highers)
NCFE CACHE Level 3 Applied General Certificate in Health and Social Care
OCR Cambridge Technical Extended Diploma
OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma
OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technical Extended Certificate
OCR Level 3 Cambridge Technical Introductory Diploma
Scottish Advanced Higher
Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate - Skills Challenge Certificate (first teaching September 2015)
Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Diploma – Core (awarded until 2016)
ESW/KS Combined component
|If you have a qualification that is not listed in the table please refer to our full entry requirements on UCAS.
Further guidance on tariff points can be found on the UCAS website.
Additional information for EU/International students
Applications from international applicants with equivalent qualifications to 112 points are welcome. Please see your country page for further details on the equivalent qualifications we accept.
In additional to the academic entry requirements listed above, international and EU students will also require the qualifications detailed in this table.
|English language requirements 2020/21|
6.0 overall with 5.5 minimum in all bands
If you do not meet the required IELTS score, you may be eligible for one of our pre-sessional English courses. Please note that you must have a Secure English Language Test (SELT) to study on the pre-sessional English course. More information.
|Other accepted qualifications||Visit our English language page|
Fees & How to Apply
- UK students
- International students
Award: BA (Hons)
Starting: Sep 2022
- Full Time
- 3 Years
- £9,250 per year
- Apply via UCAS
- Study Year £9,250
- Placement Year £1,650
Professional Placement Fees
Full-Time courses with a Professional Placement incur a fee during the placement year. The costs for those years when you attend the university for study, and the cost for the placement year are shown here.
- Part Time
- 5 Years
- Register interest
Access to computer equipment
You will require use of a laptop, and most students do prefer to have their own. However, you can borrow a laptop from the university or use one of our shared computer rooms.
You will receive £5 print credit in each year of your course, available after enrolment.
All essential field trips and associated travel costs will be included in your course fees.
Access to Microsoft Office 365
Every student at the University can download a free copy of Microsoft Office 365 to use whilst at university and for 18 months after graduation.
You will be able to download SPSS and Nvivo to your home computer to support with your studies and research.
Subscriptions to key journals and websites and available through our library.
Free access to Rosetta Stone
All students can sign up to the online learning language platform for free through the Graduate+ scheme.
Excess printing (optional)
Once you have spent your £5 credit, additional printing on campus costs from 5p per sheet.
Some modules may suggest that you purchase a key textbook. All module key texts will be in the University library, but in limited numbers. Many students choose to purchase a copy.
Placement expenses (optional)
If you choose to undertake a placement, you'll need to budget for accommodation and any travel costs you may incur whilst living or working away from home.
Field trips (optional)
This course includes the option of additional trips that may enhance your experience.
Accommodation and living costs
The cost of accommodation and other living costs are not included within your course fees. More information on the cost of accommodation can be found in our accommodation pages.
Guidance for UK students
UK students applying for most undergraduate degree courses in the UK will need to apply through UCAS.
The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) is a UK organisation responsible for managing applications to university and college.
Applying through UCAS
Register with UCAS
Login to UCAS
Complete your details
Select your course
Write a personal statement
Get a reference
Pay your application fee
Send UCAS your application
There are three ways to apply:
1) Direct to the University
2) Through a country representative
Our in-country representatives can help you make your application and apply for a visa. They can also offer advice on travel, living in the UK and studying abroad.
3) Through UCAS
If you are applying for an undergraduate degree or a Higher National Diploma (HND), you can apply through the UK’s Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).
You can request a printed form from your school or nearest British Council office. You will be charged for applying through UCAS. Birmingham City University’s UCAS code is B25 BCITY.
UK / EU students are required to submit a personal statement as part of their application for this course.*
The personal statement gives you a crucial opportunity to say why you’re applying and why the institution should accept you.
Here are the key areas you’ll need to address:
Why does this course appeal? What areas are of particular interest?
If you have a specific career in mind, say how your chosen course will help you pursue this goal.
Mention any work that is relevant to your subject, highlighting the skills and experience gained.
School or college experience
Highlight skills gained at school/college, eg summer schools or mentoring activities.
Non-accredited skills or achievement
eg Duke of Edinburgh Award, Young Enterprise scheme.
You should also mention your future plans – if you’re planning to take a year out, don't forget to give your reasons. Talk about any subjects you’re studying that don’t have a formal assessment and any sponsorships or placements you’ve applied for. And don't be scared to add in details about your social, sports or leisure interests.
Get more information on writing personal statements.
*Non-EU students are not required to submit a personal statement when applying for this course.
If you study this course part-time or via distance learning, you will be charged on a pro-rata basis. This means your fee will be calculated per module.
Course in Depth
In order to complete this course a student must successfully complete all the following CORE modules (totalling 120 credits).
Insights into Management 20 credits
Principles of Marketing 20 credits
Developing your Personal Brand 20 credits
Introduction to Entrepreneurship 20 credits
Operations Management 20 credits
Finance for Managers 20 credits
In order to complete this course a student must successfully complete all the following modules (totalling 120 credits).
Supply Chain Management 20 credits
One Planet Issues 20 credits
Management Development 20 credits
Business Analytics 20 credits
The Global Manager 20 credits
Entrepreneurship in Action 20 credits
In order to complete this course a student must successfully complete all the following CORE modules (totalling 80 credits).
Leading and Managing Change 20 credits
Continuous Innovation 20 credits
Strategic Management 20 credits
Growing the Enterprise 20 credits
In order to complete this course a student must choose ONE of the following optional project routes (totalling 40 credits):
Business Advice Project (Major) 40 credits
Business Research Project (Major) 40 credits
Business Start-Up Project (Major) 40 credits
Community Advice Project (Major) 40 credits
Employability Project (Major) 40 credits
Economics Research Project (Major) 40 credits
Business Research Methodology and Practice + Business Research Project 40 credits
Business Research Methodology and Practice + Business Start-Up Project 40 credits
Business Research Methodology and Practice + Community Advice Project 40 credits
All core modules are guaranteed to run. Optional modules will vary from year to year and the published list is indicative only.
Our accreditation from the Chartered Management Institute (CMI) ensures you leave the programme perfectly prepared for management in a range of industries, or your own business.
CMI offers a range of training interventions designed to meet the needs of organisations of all sizes and in any sector, from an individual manager studying a qualification to programmes tailored for your team or organisation.
Chartered Management Institute
This course is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). This means that you can achieve the Level 5 CMI Certificate in Management and Leadership alongside your degree. The award is conditional on successfully completing the Honours degree programme in the appropriate module areas.
You will have had opportunities to undertake live projects with real employers, to study contemporary relevant business issues, developing the capability to manage the complexity and uncertainty of the contemporary global business environment.
Business Management (Enterprise) incorporates modules specifically designed to build a professional and independent approach to study which facilitates lifelong learning.
You will have access to placement opportunities through the Placement Office. In previous years, students have undertaken placements with established companies such as Tesco, KPMG and Intel.
OpportUNIty: Student Jobs on Campus ensures that our students are given a first opportunity to fill many part-time temporary positions within the University. This allows you to work while you study with us, fitting the job around your course commitments. By taking part in the scheme, you will gain valuable experiences and employability skills, enhancing your prospects in the job market.
It will also allow you to become more involved in University life by delivering, leading and supporting many aspects of the learning experience, from administration to research and mentoring roles.
Business Advice Centre
The Business Advice Centre (BAC) is the Business School's hub that offers a range of support services to you throughout each stage of your student learning experience.
We have a range of support solutions for students as well as opportunities to enhance your employability and entrepreneurial qualities.
Whether you are considering starting your business, connecting with real companies or enhancing your graduate opportunities, the Business Advice Centre can help you.More on our Business Advice Centre
Welcome to the Birmingham City Business School, home to students from over 70 countries all around the world!
Birmingham City Business School is one of the UK’s largest, most established and most respected business schools. Our programmes are practice based and many have an international focus, which means your course will be entirely relevant to today’s business world. Almost all of our courses, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level, are open to international students.
We also have links with universities across the world, including Europe, the USA, China, India and Malaysia.International Services
Our international pages contain a wealth of information for international students who are considering applying to study here, including:
- Explore some of the good reasons why you should study here
- Find out how to improve your language skills before starting your studies
- Find all the information relevant to applicants from your country
- Learn where to find financial support for your studies
The University is conveniently placed, with Birmingham International Airport nearby and first-rate transport connections to London and the rest of the UK.
Facilities and Staff
We are constantly investing in our estate and are currently in the process of spending £340 million on new learning facilities.
The Curzon Building
This course is based at our City Centre Campus – and specifically The Curzon Building, alongside other Social Sciences, Law, Business and English students.
The £63m building offers students a unique social learning space, including a dedicated student hub incorporating student support services, in the heart of Birmingham’s Eastside development.
The Business floors house an extensive number of IT facilities, breakout areas, and specialised rooms. The Marketing Link Agency is designed to replicate a modern marketing firm, allowing students to get real-life experience of working in the marketing sector. There is also the City Trading Room, which features state of the art stock market tracking equipment, keeping you up to date with all the financial comings and goings of the London Stock Exchange and Wall Street.
The Curzon building is also conveniently close to Birmingham’s business and financial centre, allowing for strong links between your studies and the real world.
The Curzon Building also features:
- An impressive new library with access to over 65 million full text items and stunning views of Eastside City Park
- Your Students’ Union which is located in a beautifully restored 19th century pub, The Eagle and Ball
- A modern 300-seat food court with space to study and socialise
- Brand new, accessible IT facilities with full Office365 for all students for free
- Shared facilities with the wider campus including the recently opened Parkside Building and Millennium Point
Senior Lecturer in Management Development
Prior to her academic role, Vanessa successfully held management positions within high profile global companies including Tesco, Next and The Body Shop. She has also worked for The Prince's Trust where she was responsible for leading teams and influencing at Director level to co-ordinate peer mentoring programmes for young people across England, Northern Ireland and Scotland.More about Vanessa
Dr Richard Oddy
Senior Lecturer and Programme Director
Dr Richard E. Oddy is a Senior Lecturer and Course Director specialising in Marketing, Sport, Event and Esports Management. He has developed and launched a number of new courses in these specific fields, and has over a decade of teaching experience at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.More about Richard