Professional Standards Framework
Once you have reviewed the AdvanceHE website and the BCU scheme, you may have specific questions or are unsure of the most appropriate Fellowship category to apply for. You can then choose to do any or all of the following, depending on the support you feel is most appropriate for you:
- Use the Fellowship Category Tool to self-assess the most appropriate category - we would recommend this is if you aim to apply for Senior Fellowship
- Attend an Introductory session (see iCity site)
- Consider the activities you’ll reflect on in your application - complete an EPA for D1/D2 or for D3; alternatively, make your own notes
- Contact your School/Faculty Lead for advice, please see ICity.
Ready to start working towards recognition?
Arrange to meet your Faculty Lead. This is to agree on the Fellowship category and your intended submission date; you should therefore bring along an EPA or your own notes, to support the discussion.
Your Faculty Lead will allocate a Mentor or advise on the Mentee support available, as well as clarifying the expectations and roles in the Mentee/Mentor relationship. If your plans change, please let your Faculty Lead know, so the database can be updated.
Resources to support your application
For each Fellowship category on BCU’s scheme, there is a Candidate Support Pack, which contains specific guidance and documents relevant to the category, which can be accessed here:
- Associate Fellow Support Pack D1
- Associate Fellow Application Form D1
- Fellow Support Pack D2
- Fellow Application Form D2
- Senior Fellow Support Pack D3
- Senior Fellow Application Form D3
Excerpts from successful applications
Candidates often ask for examples of applications and find it useful to view others’ previous submissions; to address this some of our colleagues have kindly permitted us to share excerpts from their successful applications here.
These excerpts are intended to demonstrate the wide assortment of good practice that could be reflected on within an application for Fellowship; there is no ‘best’ in terms of content or style - the key requirements are of meeting the descriptors for the category and setting these out on the relevant application form, within the word allowance. As these are short excerpts, one Case Study or one example of an Area of Activity may not include all of the dimensions; this would be reviewed in the context of the application as a whole, to ensure all dimensions are met - as you will no doubt consider when submitting your own application.
Submitting your application
- Send your application to your referees at least two weeks before your planned submission and advise on the date you require returned by.
- Check you have all the application documentation (completed application form, any associated evidence (if appropriate) and referees’ statements)
- Prepare your application - this should be one document (or a zipped file) - label your document or file by Surname, Category of application and Faculty/Department, e.g. 'SMITH_D2_EDS'
- Email your application as one file to PSF@bcu.ac.uk by midday of the submission date
If you have any questions on the application process please ask your School/Faculty Lead or email email@example.com.