Centre for Academic Success - staff information
Centre for Academic Success
Coronavirus alternative support
See all available support from Central Services: Connections - Central Services Support.
Our email address is available for staff queries and consultancy.
Our Staff resource Moodle site provides resources that staff can use in their teaching and add to their Moodle pages to assist with the development of academic literacy skills etc.
The chat service on the student resource Moodle page is also available to staff.
The Centre for Academic Success offers several ways for students to obtain support when off-campus:
- Study guides – our study guides are available from our student resource Moodle page.
- Workshop presentations and resources – slides and activities from our programme of open-access workshops, available from our Moodle page student resource moodle page.
- Success 2019 course – a Moodle based course introducing academic writing, referencing, study skills and maths, aimed at Level 3 and 4 students, but available to all. Enrol on the course.
- Email tutorials – for feedback and advice on assignments, English, maths, study skills etc - book using our usual system.
- Chat – available on our student resource Moodle page for students to ask quick questions.
Our goal is to work with academic staff in exploring their students' needs around academic and assessment literacy, and assist them in identifying and implementing effective approaches to meeting those needs.
To do this, we recommend that academic literacy skills, for example academic writing and reading skills, are embedded within programme teaching. This gives a discipline focus to the development of these vital skills and emphasises their relevance to students' studies. To assist with this, CAS offers a consultancy service to academic staff.
Our consultancy service
Individual lecturers or programme/module teams can book time with one of our Senior Learner Developers to work on approaches to embedding academic literacy into their teaching and the development of teaching resources.
In some cases we are able to offer delivery or co-delivery of sessions.
We also work with academics to develop crucial assessment literacy skills in their students.
Academic and assessment literacy consultancy
We can offer ideas, advice and co-delivery based on our experience and knowledge of practices inside and outside the University on the following:
Embedding academic literacy
- Academic reading and writing
- Critical analysis
- Referencing and plagiarism
- Reflective writing
- Dissertation skills
- Study skills
- Professional skills
- Assignment brief design
- Preparing students for assignments
- Helping students understand assignment briefs
- Avoiding plagiarism
- Revision and exam techniques
Get in touch
Please feel free to contact us regarding any of these issues:
- Tel: 0121 331 7685
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or drop in to our office for a chat and a coffee:
Room C142, Curzon Building
We work alongside our colleagues in other parts of the Education Development Service who offer a broad consultancy service to academic staff and teams, through Academic programme support, a range of Individual professional development, or advice and guidance in Technology Enhanced Learning and Teaching.