Walking and running
Walking and running is a simple, cheap and great way to get around and keep fit. It can lower your stress levels, give you more energy and improve sleep quality.
Did you know that you can burn approximately 100 calories in only 20 minutes of walking?
Getting from A to B
Punch in your location and destination into walkit.com and you'll get a route map as well as circular and themed walks which include your journey time, calorie burn, step count and carbon saving.
- Birmingham City Council – Walking and jogging routes around Birmingham.
- MapMyWalk – A walking app showing distance, pace, speed, elevation and calories burned. You can also save workout data when you finish.
- ViewRanger Outdoors GPS - GPS with downloadable global maps, ideal for outdoor activities.
- CityMapper – For navigating urban public transport, including train, tube, bus, bike and walking.
- Changers CO2 Fit - Measures the distance travelled through walking, cycling or using public transport, and calculates the amount of CO2 saved and rewards you with bonuses.
14 Great city centre walks in Birmingham
Got a bit of spare time? Enjoy a bit of free exercise and take in the best of our city with the Birmingham Mail's guide to city centre walks in Birmingham.
Walking and Running Safety
- Wear reflective clothing
- Stick to paths away from traffic whenever possible
- Carry a mobile phone
- Make sure to stop and look before crossing the road
- Be careful in dark areas and avoid walking alone at night when possible