BUCS sport teams
As well as supporting scholars at Birmingham City University we have identified a number of target sports who have a commitment to performing at the highest levels possible. This enables them to receive specific support for their development including:
- Club development support,
- Strength and conditioning support,
- Nutritional advice,
- Sports therapy
- High level of coaching
As a result this will allow these clubs to perform at the highest levels within the British Universities and Colleges (BUCS) leagues.
The Target Sports for the 2019-20 year are:
- Badminton (Men's and Women's)
- Men's Basketball
- Women's Basketball
- Cricket (Men's and Women's)
- Men's Football
- Women's Football and Futsal
- Men's Futsal
- Men's Hockey
- Women's Hockey
- Women's Netball
- Men's Rugby
- Women's Rugby
- Table Tennis
Most sports teams typically train for two hours a week and have a match on Wednesdays against other universities as part of the BUCS Competition.
In order to join and participate in a BUCS sport, students are required to purchase a sports card (£100) and then pay a club fee of £5-10. The club fee belongs to the team and the BUCS sport membership covers the cost of the 20 week BUCS program. This membership allows you to compete in BUCS and represent the university.
The Membership includes:
- Facility hire for training and match days
- Professional Coaching
- Branded Mizuno on field kit
- A warm up tee for off field
- Transport to and from matches
- Membership with the British University and Colleges League (BUCS)
If you currently play sport at a competitive or national level, you may also be interested in our Sport Scholarship.