English language and English tests

 All teaching at Birmingham City University is carried out in English, so you must have a required proficiency in the language.

A range of courses are available to help you reach this level of proficiency:

United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI) approved tests

If you have to obtain a student visa before travelling to the UK and enrolling on a full-time course at a UK university, you will be classed as a Visa National by United Kingdom Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

If your English has not been taught and assessed, you will have to pass a UKVI-approved Secure English Language Test (SELT).

Applying for a UK visa
Approved English language tests

Pre-sessional courses

If your SELT result is below the required standard, you’ll be eligible to study our pre-sessional courses, where you’ll learn general English and be introduced to Academic English.

You’ll also practice writing, reading, grammar, listening, speaking and complete a mini-project while finding out more about British culture and society.

Courses in your country

In addition to running pre-sessional English courses in the UK, we also arrange in-country courses which help you improve your English skills before coming to the UK to begin your main course.

More information

In-country English

English for Academic Purposes

The Foundation Certificate in English for Academic Purposes (FCEAP) is a university preparation course for international students whose first language is not English.

It aims to develop English language skills and raise awareness of UK academic conventions and practices so that you will find your studies with us more enjoyable and rewarding.

English for Academic Purposes

Foundation Certificate

English tests

We conduct English Language tests in the UK and overseas for applicants holding conditional offers subject to English language.

The four components of the English tests are reading, writing, listening and speaking.

To apply for a place you must have a student ID number and have a conditional offer ‘subject to CEFR B2 level in English Language.’

You are then asked to complete an application form, after which we will send you an email to confirm the time and place for your test.

Tests in the UK

Tests outside the UK