Business Management with a Foundation Year - BA (Hons) *
- UCAS Code: N104
- Level: Foundation
- Starting: September 2021
- Study mode: Full Time (4 Years), Full Time (5 Years with Professional Placement)
- Location: City Centre
Studying with us in 2021/22
It is possible that the 2021/22 academic year may be affected by the ongoing disruption caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. Any arrangements put in place by the University for the 2021/22 academic year will be in accordance with the latest government public health advice, pandemic-related/health and safety legislation, and the terms and conditions of the student contract.
This course has recently been updated. Please download the course specification for the up to date information.
The BA (Hons) Business Management with Foundation year course at Birmingham City Business School provides a valuable introduction to the management of key resources including human capital, financial management, strategic management and cultural awareness.
We create graduates who possess a global outlook, with the conceptual and applied knowledge in the field of business management that will enable them to make a positive impact on society.
The foundation year is designed to give you the opportunity to develop your academic and interpersonal skills whilst developing your business skills further to support you to success on your academic path.
Tailor your Business Degree
When you successfully complete your Foundation Year, you will be able to progress onto a range of Undergraduate courses at the Birmingham City Business School (excluding our Integrated Master's degrees). These include:
What's covered in the course?
The development and operation of contemporary and international business markets will be embraced in your learning. This will also include the management of key resources including human capital, financial management, strategic management and cultural awareness. You’ll gain an important insight into digital business exploring how technology remodels the business world and consider the accompanying issues around social responsibility and ethical behaviour.
This course is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). This ensures you’ll be provided with the latest information and knowledge, as well as providing key industry links and insight. Success on the course will additionally award you with a CMI professional certificate.
You will gain specialist knowledge on a number of core functions of management, building your self-confidence to prepare you for a progressive and successful career in management. Exciting opportunities including integrated work projects and business placements in the UK or abroad are all featured in your course, therefore your career can start whilst achieving your qualification. You will have the benefit of renowned industry speakers and live projects to inspire and help you to develop.
With our practice-based approach to teaching, you will learn from professionally qualified academics with a wealth of industry experience, and research active academics whose research underpins and informs our approach to teaching.
The international focus of the course is derived through a variety of means including the student body, the teaching team and the use of international teaching materials. Where appropriate to the individual topics covered during the course, implications for sustainability will be identified that relate to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Moreover, you can choose to spend a year or a full semester studying your modules overseas at a partner institution.
Why Choose Us?
- This course is designed to progress students who fall below normal entry requirement levels on to full Undergraduate degrees.
- This degree course is aligned with the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).This means that the course is as professionally relevant and up-to-date as possible, taking into account the very latest developments in the profession.
- On all of our courses you will gain a professional focus and real world experience of management, ensuring you are equipped to make an immediate impact in the business world. You have the opportunity to embark on a year-long professional placement as part of your degree course.
- You’ll be involved in real world business projects and hear from leading industry speakers, who will share current thinking around business and management. You’ll also get the chance to go behind the scenes at places such as the luxury outlet shopping centre Bicester Village and Manchester United Football Club with our trips and visits.
- Recognising the global scope of business, all our courses have an international focus. This is embedded throughout the curriculum, giving you the opportunity to transform your experience with us into a global one. There are a variety of exciting possibilities open to you, including our many overseas study exchange programmes.
- As a student on one of our undergraduate degrees, you will be able to benefit from our Graduate+ initiative. This three-year award course enables you to gain award levels for all the extra-curricular activities you undertake so that you can stand out from the crowd on graduation.
- Our staff have worked in managerial roles for some of the biggest brands in the world, including the likes of Tesco and Selfridges.
- You’ll be able to choose from three distinct associated courses – Supply Chain Management, Consultancy or Enterprise, enabling you to tailor your interests to a specific course. Conversely, you could stay on the main Management route. The flexibility of the course means you aren’t tied down to any set career path – the skills you learn can be applied to any industry, whether you’re working in large teams or individually.
- We put a heavy emphasis on the hands-on skills needed in modern business management, with practical assessments as well as exams.
- You will study in our state-of-the-art City Centre Campus, ideally located for you to take advantage of our links to Birmingham’s business district, one of the largest in the UK
- The course will prepare you for a variety of management roles, whether they are based in the public, private or voluntary sector, a multinational company, a local organisation or your own business.
- You will be able to work on exciting projects for real-life clients through our Business Advice Centre, giving you exposure to the challenges and issues faced by businesses as well as the chance to develop successful solutions. Opportunities are available with local, regional, national and even global businesses such as BMW.
- The Centre also offers expert support for your own entrepreneurial ideas, so you can start planning your own start-up or take your existing business to the next level. Following graduation, you will have the opportunity to apply for STEAMhouse Business Incubator membership.
Find out more
- Business - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Business with Marketing - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Business Management - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Business Management with Enterprise - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Business Management with Supply Chain Management - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Human Resource Management - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Esports Management - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Event, Venue and Experience Management - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Global Sport Management - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Marketing - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Marketing with Advertising and Public Relations - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Marketing with Consumer Psychology - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Marketing with Digital Communication - BA (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
- Global Hospitality Management - BSc (Hons) - 2021/22 Entry
This course is open to International students
This course is accredited by:
Subject to approval
This course is in the final stages of approval to ensure it meets the very highest standards of quality, creativity and applied learning.
We accept a range of qualifications, the most popular of which are detailed below.
80 UCAS tariff points from A/AS Level with a minimum of 2 A Levels.
|Typical Offers (UK Students)|
GCSE English Language and Maths at grade 4 or above, at the point of enrolment. Equivalent qualifications will be considered. Plus, you must have achieved or be completing one of the following:
|UK Qualification||Requirements 2020/21|
|A Level / AS Level||Obtain a minimum of 80 UCAS tariff points at A-level and/or AS-level.|
|Access to Higher Education Diploma||Pass overall with 60 credits, 45 at Level 3. Must already hold GCSE Mathematics and English Language Grade 4 or higher or the equivalent at application point.|
|BTEC National Diploma||DM combined with other level 3 qualifications to achieve a minimum total of 80 UCAS points.|
|BTEC Extended Diploma||MMP (80 points).|
|BTEC Subsidiary Diploma||Accepted alongside other acceptable level 3 qualifications to meet 112 UCAS Tariff Points.|
|International Baccalaureate Diploma||
Obtain a minimum of 24 points overall. Students who do not complete the IB Diploma and who achieve the minimum of 11 points from two High Level subjects, will be considered on the basis of their IB Certificates and alongside other acceptable level 3 qualifications to meet 80 UCAS Tariff Points.
|Irish Leaving Certificate (Higher Level)||Pass the Irish Leaving Certificate with a minimum of 80 tariff points, achieved in three level subjects. This must include Maths and English Language taken at either Ordinary level (minimum grade O1-O4 (or A-C/A1-C3)) or Higher level (minimum H3/D1 taken from three subjects).|
NCFE CACHE Level 3 Applied General Certificate in Health and Social Care
|Scottish Advanced Higher||
Achieve a minimum of 80 tariff points achieved in either three Advanced Highers or from a combination of two Advanced Highers plus two Highers. Where three Advanced Highers have been taken achieve a minimum of grades CDD.
Where a combination of Highers and Advanced Highers have been taken you must achieve (grades of DD in two Advanced Highers plus grades of DD in two Highers).
|If you have a qualification that is not listed in the table please refer to our full entry requirements on UCAS.
Further guidance on tariff points can be found on the UCAS website.
Additional information for EU/International students
Applications from international applicants with equivalent qualifications to 80 points are welcome. Please see your country page for further details on the equivalent qualifications we accept.
In additional to the academic entry requirements listed above, international and EU students will also require the qualifications detailed in this table.
|EU/Non-EU (International) Qualifications||Requirements 2020/21|
6.0 overall with 5.5 minimum in all bands
If you do not meet the required IELTS score, you may be eligible for one of our pre-sessional English courses. Please note that you must have a Secure English Language Test (SELT) to study on the pre-sessional English course. More information.
From A/AS Level with a minimum of 2 A Levels
- UK students
- International students
Award: BA (Hons)
Starting: Sep 2021
- Full Time
- 4 Years
- £13,200 per year
If you're unable to use the online form for any reason, you can complete our PDF application form and equal opportunities PDF form instead. The University reserves the right to increase fees in line with inflation based on the Retail Prices Index or to reflect changes in Government funding policies or changes agreed by Parliament up to a maximum of five per cent.
Guidance for UK/EU students
UK and EU students applying for most undergraduate degree courses in the UK will need to apply through UCAS.
The Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) is a UK organisation responsible for managing applications to university and college.
Applying through UCAS
Register with UCAS
Login to UCAS
Complete your details
Select your course
Write a personal statement
Get a reference
Pay your application fee
Send UCAS your application
In order to complete this course a student must successfully complete all the following CORE modules (totalling 120 credits).
In order to complete this course a student must successfully complete all the following CORE modules (totalling 120 credits).
In order to complete this course a student must successfully complete all the following CORE modules (totalling 100 credits).
In order to complete this course a student must successfully complete at least 20 credits from the following list of OPTIONAL modules.
In order to complete this course a student must successfully complete all the following CORE modules (totalling 60 credits).
In order to complete this course a student must choose ONE of the following project routes (totalling 40 credits):
In order to complete this course a student must successfully complete at least 20 credits from the following indicative list of OPTIONAL modules.
Chartered Management Institute
This course is accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI). This means that you can achieve the Level 5 CMI Certificate in Management and Leadership alongside your degree. The award is conditional on successfully completing the Honours degree programme in the appropriate module areas.
Please note that the course specification above is not finalised, and is therefore subject to change.
When you successfully complete your Foundation Year, you will be able to proceed on to any of of our undergraduate degree courses offered within Birmingham City Business School (excluding Integrated Master's).
What our students say
"Undertaking a placement year with consistent support from staff, the opportunity to apply theory to the real-world working environment has proved invaluable. Birmingham City University has exceeded my expectations both from an academic and professional perspective."
Jamal Qurban, Business Management student
Enhancing employability skills
You will have opportunities to undertake live projects with real employers, and study contemporary relevant business issues, developing the capability to manage the complexity and uncertainty of the contemporary workplace.
Business Management, and its associated programmes, incorporate modules specifically designed to build a professional and independent approach to study which facilitates lifelong learning.
OpportUNIty: Student Jobs on Campus ensures that our students are given a first opportunity to fill many part-time temporary positions within the University. This allows you to work while you study with us, fitting the job around your course commitments. By taking part in the scheme, you will gain valuable experiences and employability skills, enhancing your prospects in the job market.
It will also allow you to become more involved in University life by delivering, leading and supporting many aspects of the learning experience, from administration to research and mentoring roles.
Business Advice Centre
The Business Advice Centre (BAC) is the Business School's hub that offers a range of support services to you throughout each stage of your student learning experience.
We have a range of support solutions for students as well as opportunities to enhance your employability and entrepreneurial qualities.
Whether you are considering starting your business, connecting with real companies or enhancing your graduate opportunities, the Business Advice Centre can help you.
Through our courses we give you the skills and experience needed to get a head start when applying for jobs. But we offer something extra too – Graduate+.
Our unique programme gives you the chance to develop valuable skills outside of the more formal classroom learning. We award points for Graduate+ activities (including firewalking!) and these can be put towards a final Graduate+ award.
Welcome to the Birmingham City Business School, home to students from over 70 countries all around the world!
Birmingham City Business School is one of the UK’s largest, most established and most respected business schools. Our programmes are practice based and many have an international focus, which means your course will be entirely relevant to today’s business world. Almost all of our courses, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level, are open to international students.
We also have links with universities across the world, including Europe, the USA, China, India and Malaysia.
Our international pages contain a wealth of information for international students who are considering applying to study here, including:
- Explore some of the good reasons why you should study here
- Find out how to improve your language skills before starting your studies
- Find all the information relevant to applicants from your country
- Learn where to find financial support for your studies
The University is conveniently placed, with Birmingham International Airport nearby and first-rate transport connections to London and the rest of the UK.
Birmingham City University International College (BCUIC)
International students who have a serious interest in studying with us but who perhaps cannot meet the direct entry requirements, academic or English, or who have been out of education for some time, can enter Birmingham City University International College (BCUIC) and begin their degree studies.
BCUIC is part of the global Navitas Group, an internationally recognised education provider, and the partnership allows students to access the University’s facilities and services and move seamlessly through to achieving a Bachelor’s degree from Birmingham City University.
We are constantly investing in our estate and are currently in the process of spending £340 million on new learning facilities.
The Curzon Building
This course is based at our City Centre Campus – and specifically The Curzon Building, alongside other Social Sciences, Law, Business and English students.
The £63m building offers students a unique social learning space, including a dedicated student hub incorporating student support services, in the heart of Birmingham’s Eastside development.
The Business floors house an extensive number of IT facilities, breakout areas, and specialised rooms. The Marketing Link Agency is designed to replicate a modern marketing firm, allowing students to get real-life experience of working in the marketing sector. There is also the City Trading Room, which features state of the art stock market tracking equipment, keeping you up to date with all the financial comings and goings of the London Stock Exchange and Wall Street.
The Curzon building is also conveniently close to Birmingham’s business and financial centre, allowing for strong links between your studies and the real world.
The Curzon Building also features:
- An impressive new library with access to over 65 million full text items and stunning views of Eastside City Park
- Your Students’ Union which is located in a beautifully restored 19th century pub, The Eagle and Ball
- A modern 300-seat food court with space to study and socialise
- Brand new, accessible IT facilities with full Office365 for all students for free
- Shared facilities with the wider campus including the recently opened Parkside Building and Millennium Point
"Our Foundation Year programme in Business Management is designed to support you through this first year, with modules on the context of business and practice projects geared towards helping you develop your academic and interpersonal skills - all while enriching your business knowledge and experience and setting you up ready to make the most of your BA (Hons) degree."
Nicky Walker, Course Leader
Dr Richard Oddy
Senior Lecturer and Programme Director
Dr Richard E. Oddy is a Senior Lecturer and Course Director specialising in Marketing, Sport, Event and Esports Management. He has developed and launched a number of new courses in these specific fields, and has over a decade of teaching experience at both undergraduate and postgraduate level.