Jo is an interdisciplinary educator and maker with a particular emphasis on illustration, textiles and costume and an open mind to 2D, 3D and 4D.
Freelance works have included:
Costume and Fashion Design for:
- Welsh National Opera
- Royal Shakespeare Company
- BBC Saturday Night at the Palladium
- Starlight Express
- Kiss Me Kate, Phantom of the Opera
- The Hat Shop Covent Garden
- Terrorism and Cultural Freedom Conference BCU, 2016
- Inspire Festival 2015
- A Line Drawn from the Eye to the Summit, BCU, 2015
- Stroud International Textile Exhibition, 2009/2010/2016
Live Student Projects have included:
- Flatpack Film Festival
- Student Exhibitions
- Illustration Competitions
- Fashion Shows
MA Art and Design: Interdisciplinary Practices
BA Fashion and Textiles: Costume
Jo is currently the Course Director of the Foundation: Visual Arts and Communication Course based in Birmingham School of Art. The ethos of the Foundation Course invites students to question the position of their work in multiple scenarios and encourages he analysis of material relationships from an experimental and interdisciplinary point of view.
It is designed to voke diverse ways of thinking and students are invited to share, socialize, listen and take notice of what can easily be missed.
The course feeds directly into the following BA courses at BCU and is the first year of a 4-year program:
- BA Art and Design with Foundation
- BA Fine Art with Foundation
- BA Illustration with Foundation
- BA Graphic Design with Foundation
- BA Photography with Foundation
- BA Video Games, Digital Arts with Foundation
The Foundation course addresses the development of social and academic confidence alongside core skills, experimentation and technical competencies.
Jo has 20 years of teaching experience at levels 3, 4, 5 and 6 and her interdisciplinary approach has been developed through practice and teaching across a wide range of specialisms and experiences:
- Art & Design
- Sculpture & 3D
- Costume Design
- Textiles Surface Pattern
- Constructed Textiles
- Life Drawing
Fundamental to Jo's teaching is humour, experimentation and play. Throughout her career she has spent time building flexible studio environments to generate teaching spaces that trigger active participation and shared learning for both staff and students.