Welcome to BCU FAQs

Here you can find answers to a range of questions about joining BCU, from enrolment to getting set up with your access to BCU systems.



Where is my enrolment email?

Invitation emails are sent in batches so you may not receive it straight away once your place has been confirmed.


Where can I find my enrolment login details?

Invitation emails are sent in batches so you may not receive it straight away once your place has been confirmed.


How do I know if I’ve completed enrolment?

Once you complete each task on our enrolment portal, the block will change to green to show that you’ve completed it. So if you’ve completed everything, all your tasks will be green and we’ll send you an email confirmation.

If they are blue it means our staff need to look at this section before they can check it off, so please be patient and we will check it as soon as we can.

If you’re still waiting on something to complete your enrolment, whether it’s an appointment on campus or approval of your ID card photo, we’ll let you know on the portal or by email.

If you’re not sure what’s outstanding or have any questions about the enrolment process or your ID card please contact us at studentengagement@bcu.ac.uk.


I have enrolled online, but I need to complete my On-Campus ID Check. How do I complete this?

You will be been given an induction/enrolment date on the enrolment portal to complete your On-Campus ID Check.


If I’m waiting to complete my enrolment on campus, does that mean I can’t set up my email?

As long as you’ve completed the online process of your enrolment, you will have access to our systems including your BCU email and our internal web portal iCity.


As part of my online enrolment, I need to list my term-term address however I have not yet been allocated a room. What do I do?

Please list your permanent address and once you have been allocated a room please update your address on your student portal.


What do I do if I've lost my certificates?

You will be able to request replacement certificates from the awarding body. In place of certificates we are able to accept a statement of results from your awarding body and/or School/College.

The statement would need to be stamped and signed by the School/College. If you have lost your degree certificate we can accept a transcript confirming your award or contact your awarding university directly for a replacement certificate.

Further details can be found here.


When I applied for the course I used the wrong email. Can I change this?

You can ask the Enrolment Contact Centre to change this for you and re-send the invitation email. You can email them at studentengagement@bcu.ac.uk or call 0120 0121 331 5684.


Where can I find my BCU email and password?

When you are invited to enrol you should receive a separate email with your student login details, which you can use to access iCity, Moodle, email and more. If you don’t receive this or have problems accessing your account you can contact IT at ithelp@bcu.ac.uk


The link to my induction date isn’t working. Where can I find the information?

You can search for the date for your course on our welcome page.


I have a query about my induction and can’t find the information on the website. Who do I contact?

If you cannot find your induction information you can ask your School Office to send this to you.


When do I start my course?

You will need to attend sessions for your course from Monday 12 September, with teaching beginning from Monday 19 September.

The majority of courses starting in January 2023 will begin at the start of Semester 2 on Monday 23 January.


When do I get my student ID card?

If you complete your enrolment online and your ID card photo has been approved, we’ll send your ID card out to you in the post. If we can’t send it to you then we’ll let you know where you can collect it.

If you need to come on to campus for an appointment to complete your enrolment, you’ll get your ID card at the appointment.


When will I get my timetable?

Timetables for new students will be available at the beginning of September. You can access it on iCity or the iBCU app as long as you’ve completed your online enrolment.


Who can I talk to about enrolment?

Please contact our Enrolment Contact CentreYou can email them at studentengagement@bcu.ac.uk or call 0120 0121 331 5684. The centre is open Monday to Friday, 9am-5pm.



When can I move in?

You can move in on the start date as indicated on your Tenancy or Licence Agreement. If you need to move in earlier or later than this date please contact Accommodation Services to advise them.


Can I view my accommodation before I move in?

It is not possible to view the halls of residence independently, but some faculties do arrange talks and viewings as part of their Applicant Visit Days. Tours of selected halls are also available on our University Open Days


What is provided in my room/flat?

In your room

  • Bed with mattress
  • Mattress protector

  • Desk, chair, wardrobe

  • Bookshelf, notice board, mirror

  • Blinds or curtains

In your flat

  • Fridge/freezer

  • Cooker

  • Microwave

  • Toaster/kettle*

  • Vacuum cleaner

  • Dustpan & brush, mop & bucket, Kitchen Bin

  • Iron/ironing board

*Please note: Toaster and kettle are not provided at Bentley House.


What items do I need to bring?

You should bring:

  • Bedding (duvet, pillows, sheets, pillowcases) - just remember to check your bed size first!
  • Laptop/mobile phone and charger/s
  • Towels (tea and bathroom)
  • Cutlery and crockery (plates, bowls, mugs, glasses, pots & pans, knives and forks)
  • Clothes hangers
  • Medicines (paracetamol, lemsip, plasters)
  • Cleaning products (washing up liquid, surface cleaner, sponge, scourer)
  • Basic food provisions until you do your first shop
  • Home comforts

Remember, it all has to fit in your room (and car). Plus, a lot of things you can buy when you get here.

You can pre-order bedding and kitchen packs from the Unikitout website and they will be delivered to your room ready for your arrival. Use the promotional code 'BCITY10' – this discounts all orders by 10 per cent.


What items are not allowed?

You can't bring:

  • Pets (as much as we love them)
  • Candles, joss sticks, oil sticks, heated wax
  • Fireworks
  • Portable heaters
  • Plug in fairy lights
  • Your own furnishings/curtains
  • Foam covered bedding material and inflatable furniture
  • Fridges
  • Electric blankets

Can I send my luggage/parcels in advance of my arrival?

No, as there are no storage facilities available. Please do not send anything in advance of your arrival at the University.


Can I bring a car?

Parking is extremely limited and costly, it is much easier to get around by bus/bicycle or on foot, as well as being better for the environment.

There is limited parking at The Heights and Queens Hospital Close (please contact them directly to check availability and cost).

There is no parking available at University Locks, Jennens Court, Lakeside, Staniforth House and Bentley House.


What options of contract length are there?

39, 40, 41, 43, 44 and 45.4 week contracts are most suitable for undergraduates, whereas postgraduates usually prefer the 51 Week contract. If you choose a shorter contract and find you need to extend over the summer vacation, you can apply for this directly with the accommodation provider.


Do I need a TV licence for my room if I choose to watch TV?

If you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand – you will need a licence. Get more information about TV licensing.


Do I need to upgrade my contents insurance?

This will depend on what equipment/belongings you will be keeping in your accommodation. It is advisable to obtain additional for specific items such as musical instruments and laptops.

Please see below your contents insurance provider along with the policy number to review which will show you;  

  • What is and what isn’t covered

  • Key exclusions - where cover isn’t provided

  • Policy excess – the amount you pay when you make a claim

  • How to make claim

  • Personalise cover.

Policy details below:

Accommodation  Insurance Provider Policy Number
Bentley House Endsleigh Insurance HH1437
Jennens Court Endsleigh Insurance HH1072
Lakeside Endsleigh Insurance HH1072
Queens Hospital Close Cover4Students Host 21
Staniforth House Endsleigh Insurance HH1072
The Heights Endsleigh Insurance HH1628
University Locks Endsleigh Insurance HH1123

What is the Accommodation induction and when is it available to view?

The Online Induction/Welcome contains important information about your move to Birmingham City University, including where you'll need to go to collect your keys, the teams who are here to help you during your stay, safety information, health and wellbeing advice, and lots more.

You will be emailed a link to your online induction prior to arrival.


How can I find my postal address?

You can view your postal address on the specific accommodation page on our website or once you have accepted your accommodation offer you, will be emailed with a link to your accommodation Facebook page where you can also view this.


Do I need to register with a doctor in Birmingham?

We strongly encourage students new to Birmingham to register with our healthcare provider Handsworth Wood Medical Centre (part of the Modality Partnership), which runs surgeries from City Centre and City South campuses.



How do I tell BCU if I’m using a student loan to pay my fees?

You will be able to let us know that you’re paying your tuition fees with a student loan during your enrolment.


When will I receive my student loan payments?

You will receive your loan in three instalments. If you start your course in September, these payments are usually made in September, January and April. If you’re an undergraduate student, your tuition fees will be paid directly to BCU. However, if you’re a postgraduate student your fees will be paid to your bank account, so you’ll need to ensure this is paid to BCU as soon as you receive it.


How do I pay my tuition fees if I’m self-funded?

If you’re self-funded, we’ll send you an invoice to your BCU email address. Once you’ve received this, you can either pay your fees straight away online or set up an instalment plan to spread the cost across the year using the BCU student invoice payment portal.

You’ll have to set up a card payment plan for your invoice and the payments will be made automatically on the due date.


How do I pay my tuition fees if I’m being sponsored?

If your fees are being paid by a sponsor, you’ll need to provide a letter from your approved sponsor during enrolment. Your sponsor letter must:

  • Be on the sponsor’s official letterhead
  • Clearly state the full student name and your student number
  • Include the sponsored amount or the proportion of the fees sponsored
  • Provide the academic years for sponsorship(clearly stated if multiple years)
  • Provide details of the course or programme
  • Provide full details of where the invoice should be sent, including Sponsor contact name, details, postal address and e-mail address
  • Be signed by the person authorising the sponsorship
  • Provide any reference number or purchase order for the organisation sponsoring
  • Meet the requirements of the apprenticeship contract

When will I get an invoice for my tuition fees?

Soon after you’ve enrolled, our Finance team will send your tuition fees invoice to your BCU email address unless you told us during enrolment that you’re paying with a student loan and this has been verified by the Student Loan Company.

Once you’ve received your invoice, you can either pay it in full or set up a payment plan online using the payment portal (show ipay.bcu.ac.uk on screen).


How is the Meet or Beat scholarship paid?

The £1000 will be paid into your bank account in three instalments during the first year of study.

The first instalment will be paid the month after BCU has received your first tuition fee payment via Student Finance England or your first payment if you are self-funded. 

If you are in debt to the University for your fees, the scholarship will not be paid in cash but instead it will be credited to your student account in three instalments.

You do not need to apply as our Admissions team will check your eligibility and successful students who fully enrol will receive a congratulations email with a link to a secure bank details form for submission to Finance in order to receive the scholarship. 


When will I get my Meet or Beat scholarship payments?

September 2022 intake:

  • 1st Instalment - December 2022
  • 2nd Instalment - March 2023
  • 3rd Final Instalment - May 2023

January 2023 intake:

  • 1st Instalment - March 2023
  • 2nd Instalment - May 2023
  • 3rd Final Instalment - December 2024

Using IT at BCU


How do I get my University email address?

When you are invited to enrol, you will receive a separate email with your student login details, which you can use to access iCity, Moodle, email and more.

Your University email address is usually in the format: Firstname.Lastname@mail.bcu.ac.uk. To access your emails you can log on to iCity and click the mail icon in the top right of the page or type mail.bcu.ac.uk into your browser. If you need help with your email address or your student ID and password, contact IT Help.


Can I change my password?

If you have been set up with Multi Factor Authentication, you will now have access to reset or change your password for BCU services when you:

  • Are working remotely from the BCU network (at home or somewhere else off campus),
  • Have internet access and,
  • Have access to another device (a mobile phone or tablet).

Just follow these simple instructions.


Can I get University emails on my phone or other mobile device?

Yes, you can set up as many devices as you like to receive your student emails. For more details, see our videos on YouTube or visit iCity. IT Help staff can help you set up your phone at the locations above.


Can I use my personal email at University?

Your student email account will be the main point of contact used by the University to send you important information, so please make sure you check it regularly.


What is Moodle?

Moodle is the University’s standard virtual learning environment. This provides a web-based system to support students in their learning. Information and resources can be uploaded to course topics as well a variety of other activities including the e-submission of coursework, discussion groups, and on-line tests.

Find out more about Moodle.


What is iCity?

iCity is the University’s portal giving you access to your emails, timetable, course information, Moodle, Faculty information pages, Library information, University messages and news in one place.


How do I log on to iCity from home?

Type icity.bcu.ac.uk into your Internet browser and enter your student ID and password when prompted. Alternatively, go to the University website and follow the useful links in the top right-hand corner.


Can I use my own laptop or tablet to access WiFi at the University?

Yes, the WiFi network at Birmingham City University is called Eduroam. Select WiFi settings on your device and search for the Eduroam network. Once you have selected this, enter your University email address and password to connect. For more details, see our videos on YouTube or visit iCity. IT help staff can help you set up your laptop or tablet if required.


Can I access Eduroam from University Locks?

Eduroam is not currently available in University accommodation.


Where can I get WiFi access in the University?

All campuses have wireless access in most locations.


What is Your Course?

Your Course gives you quick and easy access to your personal course and module information directly from iCity. You can view upcoming assignments, access Moodle, find contact details for your module and course leaders as well as your personal tutor. At a glance, you can see where you are in your studies and what work needs to be done.


What is the iBCU App?

The iBCU App gives you easy access on mobile devices to iCity and many other features and services. Use the following links to download the App for Androidiphone or Windows.

Multi-Factor Authentication


What do I need in order to use MFA?

MFA requires you to nominate a personal device like a mobile phone as a second factor for authentication. Take a look at the details for each option to work out which works best for you (you can change your mind later). Depending on which option you choose you may need to download an application.


When will I be asked to use MFA?

You will only be prompted to use MFA to log in when you are logging into your emails, Moodle, iCity and Office 365 applications from outside of the University. You will not be asked to use it when you are on campus.


How often do I need to do this?

Once you have logged in to your emails, Moodle, iCity, Office 365 using MFA, you will be remembered for that service until you log out or end your session. Remember this only applies when using protected services when outside of the University network.


Do I have to use this to log in to a BCU PC/laptop?

No. MFA is not used for logging in to PCs or laptops, it only applies to accessing your email, Moodle, iCity and Office 365 applications.


If I take my laptop to a classroom and connect to Wi-Fi, will I have to use MFA?

No, the University Wi-Fi is still considered to be within the University network so you will not be prompted to use MFA if you take your laptop to a room and use the Eduroam Wi-Fi connections.


If I take a BCU laptop home will I have to use MFA?

Yes, if you use a BCU laptop on any network other than in the University you will be prompted to use MFA to access any protected systems.


Can I change my preferred MFA option?

Yes, you can change your option at any time by logging into myapps.microsoft.com and either changing your phone number or choosing a different option. You will be required to authenticate with MFA to log into this site and will be prompted to authenticate with your new option as part of the process so must have the device with you.


Will MFA cost me anything?

There is no charge for using the MFA App, if you decide to use either the call back or SMS text option there is no cost for the calls or messages being sent to you within the UK, however if you use this from outside the UK you may be charged a roaming fee by your service provider. For more details on any charges please consult your mobile phone contract or contact your service provider.


My mobile is not a smart phone, can I still use it?

Yes, you can use any mobile phone to receive SMS codes or a call back to approve your log in.


What data about me does the App collect?

Like many Apps, this one collects data to enable service improvements, the Microsoft Authenticator App’s Privacy policy complies with GDPR and allows you to customise what data is collected and switch on/off data gathering. However, in order to function properly, the App requires access to several phone features and resources including your account settings, contacts, SMS to receive messages, read and write to memory storage and use of the camera to read a QR code on set up.


I don’t have or don’t want to use my mobile phone for this. How can I log in?

If you would prefer, you can use another mobile device such as a tablet or iPad. You can download the authenticator app on this device and use that method to authenticate. Alternatively, it is possible to nominate a fixed land line for MFA, so you can use your home land line if you are working from home. Using a land line for MFA is very simple, at the point where you need to confirm your log in you will receive an automated call that plays a recorded message asking you to press # to confirm you want to log in.


I don’t want to use MFA, what happens?

The use of MFA for access to secure BCU Data outside the University network has been mandated by the University to comply with GDPR. For this reason it is being applied to all University staff and students. If you are unwilling to use MFA you will be unable to access secure BCU data from outside the University and thus will not be able to work/learn from home if you need access these resources to complete that work. You will still be able to access all of these resources from within the University when it is open.


How long can I take to type in the MFA code?

If you chose to receive a code via SMS text message it will be valid for 2 minutes before you will need to refresh the code. If you use the code from the App, these are refreshed every 30 seconds and are only valid whilst displayed on screen. The App shows a countdown of how much time is left so ideally you should wait for the code to auto refresh to give you the most time to enter it.


What if I forget or lose my phone?

After the setup of your primary method of authentication, you have the option to add a secondary option, such as an alternative phone number, or the Microsoft Authenticator App. If you are not connected to the BCU network, and haven’t set up a secondary option, you will not be able to access secure BCU data. In this case, IT can reset your MFA registration, however for security reasons this can only be done by request in person whilst on site as it is not possible to confirm your identity over the phone.


What if I get a code, call, or request to approve access when I am not trying to log in?

Code – ignore this and report to the help desk. If someone is trying to gain access to BCU data using your details, they will not be able to log in without this code, your account will not be compromised. Request to approve access – deny this and report to the help desk. As above, if someone is trying to gain access using your details, they will not be able to without your approval via the app.

Call - hang up without pressing #. If the call is the result of someone trying to gain access to University data using your ID you have successfully blocked them. If you constantly receive calls you can lock MFA by pressing the key combination stated in the automatic message. Contact the IT Help desk as soon as possible to alert them to this and change your password.