What questions should I ask at a University Open Day?
You’ve been told that going to university open days is probably a good idea. You’ve just about managed to get your head around what goes on at an open day, and now you (or your parents) have booked on to attend a few. But what questions should you be asking whilst you’re there to help you get the information you need?
With so much going on there'll be lots of people to speak to. From academic staff to student ambassadors, our accommodation team to the students union, we've made a list of all the questions you could ask to help you get all the info you need.
To our academics
The academics for each course and faculty will be leading talks about their subject areas on the day. They’ll always offer you the chance to ask questions at the end and they’ll be more than happy for you to grab them after if you don’t want to put your hand up in front of everyone else.
- What careers have recent graduates gone on to do?
- Will the course have a placement year and how is this organised?
- How much time is spent in lectures, seminars and on independent study? How much time is spent on theory and practical work?
- What facilities are available for me to use?
- Will I need to attend an interview or applicant day after applying?
In the meantime you may find the answers you’re looking for on our course pages.
To our current students
You can’t miss our student ambassadors! You’ll find them all over the university and the city on the day, wearing bright orange t-shirts and hoodies. They’ll be happy to answer any questions you may have as well as pointing you in the right direction. They will also be leading our campus and accommodation tours – it’s a perfect opportunity to grill them on what it’s really like to be a student at BCU.
- What are the best things about studying here?
- What’s it like living in the city?
- How have you found your course?
- Can you give any advice on applying for uni?
- What’s the one thing I should make sure I see whilst I’m here?
To our accommodation staff
You’ll find our accommodation staff in the main foyer at Millennium Point. They have a large stand where you can book onto accommodation tours and ask questions. Our students giving the tours will also be happy to answer any questions you may have.
- What’s it like living in halls?
- What are the rooms like?
- What do I need to bring with me?
- What’s the difference between the halls of residence options?
- What do I have to do to guarantee myself a room?
- When do I have to apply to accommodation?
- How do I get from my halls to uni and from my halls to the city centre? Is there a cost?
- Are there any payments before I move in?
To student life and student union staff
Our Open Day will have several talks from our Students’ Union as well as other sessions on student life taking place throughout the day. There will also be staff available in Millennium Point for you to ask your questions.
- What is the cost of living here like?
- What sports and societies are there? What opportunities are there for me away from my studies?
- How easy is it to find part time work?
- What out of classroom support is there at the university?
- What will the university be looking for in my personal statement?
Our Open Days provide you with the perfect opportunity to discover just what we have to offer.
Find out more about our Open Days.
Do you have any questions?
0121 331 5595