At BCU, we want every student to achieve their potential – and we’re here to back you every step of the way.
We recognise that starting university comes with some big financial considerations, which is why we’re offering our BCU Accelerate Scholarship, available to all students from lower income households who enrol with our University via the Accelerate programme.
If you come from a lower income family or household, there are two pathways to accessing our Accelerate offer and scholarship. This means you could receive an offer that is two grades below our normal entry requirements – and possibly claim a £1,000 scholarship too.
The scholarship is worth £1,000 paid in three instalments across your first year of study to support you as you make the move from school or college.
You could be eligible for an Accelerate offer and scholarship if you are either...
At a school or college that we are working with to support you in applying to university.
This means that your school or college is working with BCU through one of our schemes, such as:
• our Accelerate progressive programme
• our Into University centre in Kingstanding
• another formal connection you have with us prior to your application.
From a lower income household, with a home address postcode that falls into POLAR4 quintile 1 or 2. You will also need to complete our online Accelerate course and attend a BCU Accelerate day on campus before you start your studies, both of which will give you the support you need to make a successful transition from school to higher education.
Eligible through option 2?
Sign up to hear when the BCU Accelerate module is available online.
HOW CAN I APPLY FOR THE BCU ACCELERATE OFFER AND SCHOLARSHIP?
With BCU Accelerate there are no extra forms to complete – all you need to do is apply via UCAS by the January deadline and add BCU as one of your UCAS choices and we’ll take care of the rest.
Frequently asked questions
- How do I know if I'm eligible for Accelerate?
- What's a BCU Accelerate day?
- When are the BCU Accelerate days?
- Which courses are excluded from the Accelerate scheme?
- Which academic year does this apply to?
- When will I know if I have received an Accelerate offer?
- When will I receive my scholarship?
- Can I read the full terms and conditions?
How do I know if I'm eligible for Accelerate?
You could be eligible if you attend a school or college that already works with BCU or is part of our widening participation activities, or if you're from a lower income household. Read the full terms and conditions to find out if you're eligible.
What's a BCU Accelerate day?
On one of our BCU Accelerate days, you’ll be able to see the spaces you’ll be learning in, meet other new students and even start your enrolment – making the beginning of your uni life even easier when it comes around.
When are the BCU Accelerate days?
Accelerate days will take place in the summer of 2024, on Tuesday 20 August, Tuesday 27 August, Wednesday 28 August and Wednesday 4 September. You will be invited to book your preferred date after you have accepted an Accelerate offer.
Which courses are excluded from the Accelerate scheme?
The Accelerate scheme is for students applying to undergraduate courses (BA, BSc, LLB, MSci), except the following:
- BA Acting, BMus Music and BMus Jazz at Royal Birmingham Conservatoire*
- Sub-degree courses such as Foundation Year entry, Foundation Degrees and HNC/HND
- Courses delivered by BCU partners
- Fast-track/accelerated degrees
- Part-time courses
- Professional Practice/CPD courses
- Short courses (credit-bearing and non-credit-bearing)
- Distance learning/online courses
* BA Acting, BMus Music and BMus Jazz students are not eligible for a reduced offer but will be considered for the scholarship element of the scheme if they meet the other eligibility criteria.
Which academic year does this apply to?
Accelerate is available for those starting in the 2024/25 academic year – joining courses in September 2024 or January 2025.
When will I know if I have received an Accelerate offer?
If you have received an Accelerate offer, this will be outlined in your offer letter.
When will I receive my scholarship?
If you meet the conditions of your Accelerate offer, attend one of our Accelerate days and pass all required modules, you will receive the first instalment of your scholarship at the end of December. There will be two more instalments, payable if you continue to meet the academic requirements set out at enrolment.
Can I read the full terms and conditions?
Read the full terms and conditions here.