Applying for a Research Degree
The application process for research degree study is different to that of our taught courses. If you are interested in studying for a PhD/DBA/EdD you should read this page carefully and then email or telephone the contact most appropriate to your chosen area of study.
If you are an international student, further Information is available here.
In cases where the faculty wishes to pursue the research degree application, we interview all prospective research degree students to ensure that their research interests align with our research priorities and that we can provide appropriate supervision and facilities.
The guidelines below show the application procedure to be followed.
- Please feel free to contact the designated research contact point for your chosen area to discuss your research interests. You should have an updated CV (including detail of any qualifications and training) and a brief summary of your research interests.
- Apply for your chosen PhD by visiting the relevant online application portal for your area.
- If the faculty can pursue your application, you will be invited to interview with members of the Faculty Research Committee to discuss your application in more detail and to explore your research interests.
- If your intended research can be supported within the faculty, you will be asked to provide any formal documents that may be outstanding for the purposes of an offer (such as qualifications and references). At this point, it is expected that you and the faculty will discuss a mutually convenient proposed start date for the commencement for your research degree. This will be one of three intake points per year for research degrees. The postgraduate research degrees admissions schedule provides details of these intake points and related deadlines.
- You will subsequently receive an offer of a place to study on the PhD/DBA/EdD programme, as appropriate, showing an intended start date and indicating your proposed Director of Studies and Second Supervisor/s. The offer will also indicate your fee status and the fee payment required at enrolment.
- Your online application will be overseen by dedicated staff within Research and Impact Services and your faculty. Should you have a query specific to your application, please email: email@example.com.