Student finance

Here are some frequently asked questions and other information about applying to BCU. If you can't find the answer your are looking for you could try our main help and support page to find the answer there.

Finance FAQs


What are the course fees?

All our course fees and options are shown in the 'Fees and How to Apply' section of the individual course web pages on our website. 


I need some assistance with completing my student funding application

There is lots of advice available on the Government website. If it's specific advice relating to BCU, please contact our Funding Team


Does the University offer financial support or scholarships?

Please refer to our dedicated financial support web page for more information.


I have studied previously at undergraduate level. What are the implications for funding for further undergraduate study?

You’ll usually only get student finance if you’re doing your first higher education qualification - even if your previous course was self-funded. You may still be eligible for limited funding in certain circumstances and for some courses.

Further information can be found on the Government's website:  


When should I apply for student finance?

For Undergraduate full-time courses, PGCE teacher training courses and eligible postgraduate-pre registration Master's degree courses in Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health:

Full-time undergraduate student finance applications usually open in March each year. Once applications are open, you can apply. You do not need a confirmed offer of place on a course to be able to apply.

For undergraduate part-time courses:

You can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan. Part-time undergraduate student finance applications are expected to open in March.

For postgraduate taught Master's degree courses:

Applications for the postgraduate Master's loans normally open in June. You can find out more about this loan by on our website.


I cannot find my course listed on the Student Finance site when I am applying for my student loans. What should I do?

Please contact our Funding team who can look into this for you.


Where can I find out more about financial support for undergraduate students?


Where can I find out more about financial support for postgraduate students?

General information:

Find out more about a number of different ways you could potentially finance and pay for your postgraduate studies.

This includes information about Postgraduate Master's Loans, the BCU Graduate Scholarship and tuition fee payment options and plans.

You can also see information about our current fee payment policy.

PGCE initial teacher training courses:

You can find out more about funding for postgraduate PGCE teacher training courses by visiting

Postgraduate Pre-registration Master's courses

This information relates to the following courses only:

  • MSc Physiotherapy
  • MSc Dietetics
  • MSc Speech and Language Therapy
  • MSc Nursing (Pre-registration)

Eligible students can access standard student loans (maintenance loans and tuition fee loans).

Eligible students who have already taken out a student loan will still be access another loan to study these courses. This is not the standard postgraduate student loan but the same loan as that accessed by undergraduate students to cover tuition fees and support living costs.

You may also be eligible for a Training Grant and other support through the NHS Learning Support Fund:

MSc Midwifery (Shortened Route)

Eligible students can apply to Student Finance England for a tuition fee loan to cover their fees.

There is a salary support payable for students on this course which is usually at point 16 band 5. We advise you to contact the NHS trust you wish to undertake this course at for more detail, as the University do not deal with any financial aspects of the course as it is up to each NHS trust to apply for funding from the government for this course to pay for student midwife salaries. The commissioned spaces that provide a salary in the Midlands area are within our local providers trusts which are:

  • Birmingham Women’s and Children’s NHS Trust
  • University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Trust
  • Sandwell and West NHS Birmingham NHS Trust

The NHS trusts above employ students for the duration of the course - 2 years - so we would advise you to contact their HR department for more details regarding salary. Please note any reduction in salary from your current post reflects the change in status back to supernumerary status in clinical practice, as this is an educational training post and 50% of the time of the course is spent within academic settings.

We would advise that you make contact with Student Finance England as they will be able to advise you on the process of applying for tuition fee loans and any other support you may be entitled to through them.

You may also be eligible for a Training Grant and other support through the NHS Learning Support Fund:

Further information can also be found on The Funding Clinic's website.

MSc Social Work

Financial help may be available to eligible students on postgraduate social work courses, in the form of Social Work Bursaries, supplied by the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA). Social Work Bursaries are non-repayable and can be used to help with study and living costs. Only a limited number are available, so there's no guarantee you'll receive support.

Postgraduates can apply for the bursary from their first year of study. If you are eligible for a bursary and receive a ‘capped place’ it will be paid directly to your university. If the University charges a higher amount for tuition fees than the contribution covers, you are responsible for meeting the difference.

We would encourage all those who accept an offer of a place on our MSc Social Work course to make an application for a bursary as, even if they are not on the ‘capping list’, they may still be entitled to the Placement Travel Allowance.

A postgraduate master’s loan may be an option for those who are not in receipt of the NHS Social Work Bursary i.e. those who do not have a 'capped place', subject to the eligibility criteria. The postgraduate loan is a contribution towards the programme fees and/or living costs, while students’ are studying a postgraduate Master’s course. Unlike the Social Work Bursary, it has to be paid back. Please visit the Government's website for details on postgraduate loans: Students must confirm that they are not in receipt of an NHS Social Work Bursary in order to receive a Student Finance England Postgraduate Loan. Once students have enrolled on the course, the University can provide a letter confirming this.

You can receive the Postgraduate Student Loan and the Placement Travel Allowance (PTA) but you can't receive both the Postgraduate Student Loan and the Social Work Bursary.

Still need help?

If you can't find the answer to your question, please don't hesitate to get in touch with our Admissions team.

Contact us