Cookies and Privacy

The University uses cookies on this website to provide the best experience possible including delivering personalised content on this website, other websites and social media. By continuing to use the site you agree to this, or your can go to our cookie policy to learn more and manage your settings.


When can I move in?

You can move in on the start date as indicated on your Tenancy or Licence Agreement. If you need to move in earlier or later than this date please contact Accommodation Services to advise them.

Can I view my accommodation before I move in?

It is not possible to view the halls of residence independently, but some faculties do arrange talks and viewings as part of their Applicant Visit Days. Tours of selected halls are also available on our University Open Days

What is provided in my room/flat?


  • Bed with mattress

  • Mattress protector

  • Desk, chair, wardrobe

  • Bookshelf, notice board, mirror

  • Blinds or curtains


  • Fridge/freezer

  • Cooker

  • Microwave

  • Toaster/kettle*

  • Vacuum cleaner

  • Dustpan & brush, mop & bucket, Kitchen Bin

  • Iron/ironing board

*Please note: Toaster and kettle are not provided at Bentley House.

What items do I need to bring?

  • Bedding (duvet, pillows, sheets, pillowcases) - just remember to check your bed size first!
  • Laptop/mobile phone and charger/s
  • Towels (tea and bathroom)
  • Cutlery and crockery (plates, bowls, mugs, glasses, pots & pans, knives and forks)
  • Clothes hangers
  • Medicines (paracetamol, lemsip, plasters)
  • Cleaning products (washing up liquid, surface cleaner, sponge, scourer)
  • Basic food provisions until you do your first shop
  • Home comforts

Remember, it all has to fit in your room (and car). Plus, a lot of things you can buy when you get here.

You can pre-order bedding and kitchen packs from the Unikitout website and they will be delivered to your room ready for your arrival. Use the promotional code 'BCITY10' – this discounts all orders by 10 per cent. Please ensure that delivery date for these kits on or after 2 September 2021.

What items are not permitted?

  • Pets
  • Candles, joss sticks, oil sticks, heated wax
  • Fireworks
  • Portable heaters
  • Plug in fairy lights
  • Your own furnishings/curtains
  • Foam covered bedding material and inflatable furniture
  • Fridges
  • Electric blankets

Can I send my luggage/parcels in advance of my arrival?

No, as there are no storage facilities available. Please do not send anything in advance of your arrival at the University.

Can I bring a car?

Parking is extremely limited and costly, it is much easier to get around by bus/bicycle or on foot, as well as being better for the environment.

There is limited parking at The Heights and Queens Hospital Close (please contact them directly to check availability and cost).

There is no parking available at University Locks, Jennens Court, Lakeside, Staniforth House and Bentley House.

What options of contract length are there?

39, 40, 41, 43, 44 and 45.4 week contracts are most suitable for undergraduates, whereas postgraduates usually prefer the 51 Week contract. If you choose a shorter contract and find you need to extend over the summer vacation, you can apply for this directly with the accommodation provider.

Do I need a TV licence for my room if I choose to watch TV?

If you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV or live on an online TV service or download or watch BBC programmes on iPlayer – live, catch up or on demand – you will need a licence. Get more information about TV licensing.

Do I need to upgrade my contents insurance?

This will depend on what equipment/belongings you will be keeping in your accommodation. It is advisable to obtain additional for specific items such as musical instruments and laptops.

By partnering with Endsleigh, the No.1 student insurance provider, we’ve arranged free contents insurance for all our students staying with us.

It is important all students confirm their cover to ensure you understand what is and isn’t covered. Plus you’ll also be entered into a prize draw, courtesy of Endsleigh!

Visit confirm your cover to see:

  • What is and what isn’t covered

  • Key exclusions - where cover isn’t provided

  • Policy excess – the amount you pay when you make a claim

  • How to make claim

  • Personalise cover.

We understand students have a limited budget so Endsleigh have launched brand new, unique student insurance options. They have been designed to cover the risks that you may encounter whilst living in student accommodation and away from home.

Policy numbers below:

Bentley House HH1437
Jennens Court HH1072
Lakeside HH1072
Queens Hospital Close HH1072
Staniforth House HH1072
The Heights HH1628
University Locks HH1123

What is the Accommodation induction and when is it available to view?

The Online Induction/Welcome contains important information about your move to Birmingham City University, including where you'll need to go to collect your keys, the teams who are here to help you during your stay, safety information, health and wellbeing advice, and lots more.

You will be emailed a link to your online induction prior to arrival.

How can I find my postal address?

You can view your postal address on the specific accommodation page on our website or once you have accepted your accommodation offer you, will be emailed with a link to your accommodation Facebook page where you can also view this.

Do I need to register with a doctor in Birmingham?

We strongly encourage students new to Birmingham to register with our healthcare provider Handsworth Wood Medical Centre (part of the Modality Partnership), which runs surgeries from City Centre and City South campuses.