Midlands4Cities Fully Funded PhD Studentships
The AHRC-funded Midlands4Cities Doctoral Training Partnership (M4C) brings together eight leading universities across the Midlands to support the professional and personal development of the next generation of arts and humanities doctoral researchers.
- Studentship funding and enhanced support for professional training
- Expert supervision within and across our dynamic mix of university partners
- Networking and collaboration across the Midlands, nationally and internationally
- Links to leading cultural organisations and creative economy partners.
There are also Collaborative Doctoral Awards (CDAs) available with pre-defined projects which involve collaboration with a local cultural institution.
Applications for 2019 intake are now open. The application deadline is 14 January 2019 (noon).
Application writing workshop
We strongly recommend that prospective applicants attend the application writing workshop in Birmingham on Saturday 17th November at The Parkside Building, Birmingham City University 1pm-4pm. Register your place via the Midlands4Cities website.
How to apply
The application is a process:
- Applying for a PhD place at Birmingham City University, and
- Applying for funding from Midlands4Cities
How to apply
1. Find your preferred PhD
Choose from one of our prestigious arts and humanities PhDs:
2. Locate your supervisors
Use the Midlands4Cities supervisor finder to locate the supervisors you would like on your team.
3. Make an enquiry
Please download our expression of interest form (link below), complete it and send to email@example.com. In order to ensure that there is sufficient time to develop a full application, the deadline for the submission of an expression of interest is Friday 30 November 2018.
Top tips for writing your research proposal
Don't know where to start with your PhD application? Dr John Mercer, Professor of Gender and Sexuality at Birmingham School of Media, shares his advice.
John's top tips:
- What’s your topic and what’s the problem?
- Who cares and why does it matter?
- Every word counts, so choose them carefully!
4. Make your full PhD application with us
Once your research proposal is confirmed with the supervisor, you'll be encouraged to make a full PhD application with us.
We will send you a PhD application form to complete by email at this stage.
You must submit two references and this is done as part of the Midlands4Cities online application. The references will be used for your BCU application.
5. Apply for Midlands4Cities funding
You can start your application for Midlands4Cities funding at any time, as it is an online form that can be saved before submission. We advise starting your funding application at the same time as your PhD application. In any event, you will not be able to submit your funding application to Midlands4Cities until you have received your applicant ID.