Midlands4Cities Fully Funded PhD Studentships
The AHRC-funded Midlands4Cities Doctoral Training Partnership (M4C) brings together eight leading universities across the Midlands to support the professional and personal development of the next generation of arts and humanities doctoral researchers.
- Studentship funding and enhanced support for professional training
- Expert supervision within and across our dynamic mix of university partners
- Networking and collaboration across the Midlands, nationally and internationally
- Links to leading cultural organisations and creative economy partners.
There are also Collaborative Doctoral Awards (CDAs) available with pre-defined projects which involve collaboration with a local cultural institution.
Applications for M4C funding for 2019 are now closed. Applications for funding for 2020 will open in October 2019.
How to apply
The application is a process:
- Applying for a PhD place at Birmingham City University, and
- Applying for funding from Midlands4Cities
How to apply
1. Find your preferred PhD
Choose from one of our prestigious arts and humanities PhDs:
2. Locate your supervisors
Use the Midlands4Cities supervisor finder to locate the supervisors you would like on your team.
3. Make an enquiry
You can, however, contact us about applying for M4C funding at any time. Please download our expression of interest form (link below), complete it and send to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can explore the opportunity of your applying in a future recruitment round. In order to ensure that there is sufficient time to develop a full application, the annual deadline for the submission of an expression of interest is 30 November. If you miss this deadline and would still like to be considered, please contact M4C@bcu.ac.uk
Top tips for writing your research proposal
Don't know where to start with your PhD application? Dr John Mercer, Professor of Gender and Sexuality at Birmingham School of Media, shares his advice.
John's top tips:
- What’s your topic and what’s the problem?
- Who cares and why does it matter?
- Every word counts, so choose them carefully!
4. Make your full PhD application with us
Once your research proposal is confirmed with the supervisor, you'll be encouraged to make a full PhD application with us.
We will send you a PhD application form to complete by email at this stage.
You must submit two references and this is done as part of the Midlands4Cities online application. The references will be used for your BCU application.
5. Apply for Midlands4Cities funding
You can start your application for Midlands4Cities funding at any time, as it is an online form that can be saved before submission. We advise starting your funding application at the same time as your PhD application. In any event, you will not be able to submit your funding application to Midlands4Cities until you have received your applicant ID.