Birmingham has long been known as the UK home of engineering and manufacturing, employing over 100,000 people in the industry and contributing billions of pounds to the national economy.
Major automotive manufacturing businesses including Jaguar Land Rover and MG are based in Birmingham and the greater West Midlands region — and we have links with most of them.
In 2013 we joined forces with Westfield Sportscars Ltd, based in Kingswinford, in a new partnership to develop the world’s first build at home electric race car kit, an all-electric sports car designed and engineered to support a growing demand for zero emission racing vehicles.
In the greater Midlands region, we have been working as a supplier for research with the Aerospace Division of Rolls-Royce since 2008, on a project examining its advanced engineering systems. It is currently collaborating on the £90 million Technology Strategy Board-funded project, SILOET (Strategic Investment in Low Carbon Engine Technologies).
Reasons to study in Birmingham
- In 2015, Birmingham was the top destination for people moving out of London. People were attracted by high employment rates, low house prices in comparison to the south east, and its central location.
- The Greater Birmingham and Solihull region ranked 4th in the top 10 mid-sized European regions in terms of its economic potential - the best performing UK region – meaning that you can expect to find job opportunities on graduation.
- Birmingham is attracting investment from major businesses including Jaguar Land Rover, MG Motors, Changan, Kraft, SCC, HSBC and Deutsche Bank, many of which will be looking for graduates with skills in engineering and project management.
- In the 2013/14 financial year, Jaguar Land Rover led the charge with a £1.5billion investment in its Solihull site as part of plans to develop an all-new technically advanced aluminium vehicle architecture.
- Vax, the household floorcare manufacturer owned by Hong Kong-based TechTronic Industries has its new R&D facility in the heart of Birmingham’s Colmore Business District.