Assessment only courses
Already a teacher?
If you're already an experienced teacher with a degree but you don't have Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), you may not have to do any further training. The Assessment Only (AO) route to QTS allows you to demonstrate that you already meet all the Teachers' Standards and can therefore be awarded QTS. It does not include any training and is only suitable if you are currently working as an unqualified teacher and have at least two years experience of teaching in your chosen age phase in at least two different schools. In determining your suitability to teach, a range of evidence will be considered, including:
- Information from the application form
- Information from DBS checks
- Referees’ reports
- Advice from schools
In line with the Department for Education's requirements, those wishing to apply for the Assessment Only route will be expected to be working in a school and have the support of the school in the assessment process. You will have a minimum of two years teaching experience and have taught in at least two different schools, early years and /or further education settings.
In addition you must have the following:
Professional Skills Tests
All candidates are required to have passed the Professional (QTS) Skills Tests in Literacy and Numeracy prior to entry. Further information is available from the Department for Education.
For students who begin their course after April 2020, Skills Tests will no longer be required.
All candidates must have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade 4 (formerly a grade C) in the GCSE examinations in English and mathematics, and all who are assessed in settings that include pupils aged 3-11 additionally have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade 4 (formerly a grade C) in the GCSE examination in a science subject.
All candidates must hold an Honours Degree with a 2:2 (UK) or above. Other first degrees will be considered particularly if you have additional qualifications and/ or relevant experience.
That, prior to acceptance for assessment, all candidates have:
- taken part in an interview designed to assess their suitability to teach. The interview process will include: a classroom observation, a written task, a face-to-face interview with a panel, discussions related to the initial Professional Development Portfolio of evidence, and discussions with relevant school leaders
- completed a portfolio of evidence that demonstrates their meeting of all the Teachers' Standards without the need for any further training
- been subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure check and/or any other appropriate background checks.
Please note: we do not accept overseas applications for this course.
We do not normally accept applications outside of the West Midlands. Under exceptional circumstances we may accept strong candidates outside of the West Midlands. However, candidates will need to cover the travel expenses for the University tutor who will be assessing the candidate (approximately three visits).
Initial assessment requirement
All candidates are initially assessed to confirm that they:
- have the intellectual and academic capabilities needed to meet the required QTS standards;
- possess the appropriate qualities, attitudes and values expected of a teacher;
- can read effectively and are able to communicate clearly and accurately in Standard English;
- have met the Secretary of State’s requirements for health and physical capacity to teach.
- Initial contact and preliminary assessment to identify whether or not the candidate is suitable to be registered with the DfE. This involves meeting with the school and the candidate.
- Registration and Assessment against standards for QTS - to be undertaken over three months from the initial registration. This involves registering the candidate with DfE and co-ordinating the assessment of the applicant against the Teachers' Standards, in liaison with school(s) involved with applicant.
- £750 for the initial contact and preliminary assessment
- £1,750 for registration and assessment against the Teachers' Standards for QTS
For more information contact our Pre-Entry Enquiries Team online by using the Course Enquiry Form or by calling +44 (0)121 331 5595.