Accounting and Finance (Masters Stage) - UK Campus - MSc
The Accounting and Finance (Masters Stage) course offers the opportunity to top up your existing professional accounting qualifications to MSc level quickly, gaining additional insight and understanding in the process....
Studying with us in 2021/22
It is possible that the 2021/22 academic year may be affected by the ongoing disruption caused by the Covid-19 pandemic. Information about the arrangements the University has put in place for the 2021/22 academic year in response to Covid-19 and the emerging variants can be found here.
Should the impact of Covid-19 continue in subsequent years of your course, any additional and/or alternative arrangements put in place by the University in response will be in accordance with the latest government public health advice, pandemic-related/health and safety legislation, and the terms and conditions of the student contract.
The Accounting and Finance (Masters Stage) course offers the opportunity to top up your existing professional accounting qualifications to MSc level quickly, gaining additional insight and understanding in the process.
Our course will put you in an excellent position to approach and perform middle and senior management roles across different accounting and finance sectors, as well as gaining practical and transferrable skills.
What's covered in this course?
- You’ll extend your understanding and awareness of the major finance theories behind strategic decision-making, as well as the finance theories which underpin a company’s financial decisions.
- The course encourages the analytical, technical, interpersonal and intellectual skills that may have been missing from your CCAB qualifications, and you’ll also learn the modern methods used to research topics in accounting and finance.
- By choosing this course, you’ll study with Birmingham City Business School, a well-respected institution which has been granted Platinum Approved Learning Provider status from the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA). This accreditation means our courses remain fresh and relevant, as well as giving us great industry links which will prove invaluable for your career prospects.
- On our Accounting and Finance (Masters Stage) course, you’ll get to apply the knowledge and skills you’ve gained in your studies with a research project, choosing a relevant topic and conducting in-depth research.
Why Choose Us?
- The course offers a respected programme of study around one of the business world’s key functions, preparing you for finance jobs and accountancy careers.
- You’ll work in an international atmosphere, with students from across the globe offering different viewpoints and methods.
- As a University, we are an Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) Platinum Approved Learning Partner, recognising our high-quality student support and teaching. This also assists and embellishes your employability prospects upon graduating.
- Our small class sizes and comprehensive learner development support ensure you get the most of your course.
- You’ll work in our new, cutting-edge facility, The Curzon Building, which boasts state-of-the-art facilities.
- If English is not your first language, you’ll have the opportunity to develop a high level of adequacy in the international business language of English.
- You will be able to work on exciting projects for real-life clients through our Business Advice Centre, giving you exposure to the challenges and issues faced by businesses as well as the chance to develop successful solutions. Opportunities are available with local, regional, national and even global businesses such as BMW.
- The Centre also offers expert support for your own entrepreneurial ideas, so you can start planning your own start-up or take your existing business to the next level. Following graduation, you will have the opportunity to apply for STEAMhouse Business Incubator membership.
Find out more
|Typical Offers (UK Students)|
Any of the six CCAB accounting professional qualifications, which could be any of ACCA, CIPFA, ACIEW, ACAS, ACAI and CIMA final stage examination completion.
Or equivalent overseas qualifications which have been fully recognised by any of the CCAB members or the University.
Additional information for EU/International students
Applications from international applicants with equivalent qualifications to 112 points are welcome. Please see your country page for further details on the equivalent qualifications we accept.
In additional to the academic entry requirements listed above, international and EU students will also require the qualifications detailed in this table.
|English language requirements 2020/21|
6.0 overall with 5.5 minimum in all bands
If you do not meet the required IELTS score, you may be eligible for one of our pre-sessional English courses. Please note that you must have a Secure English Language Test (SELT) to study on the pre-sessional English course. More information.
|Other accepted qualifications||Visit our English language page|
Fees & How to Apply
- UK students
- International students
Starting: May 2022
- Full Time
- 6 Months
- £3,700 per year
Starting: May 2022
- Full Time
- 6 Months
- £4,400 per year
Access to computer equipment
You will require use of a laptop, and most students do prefer to have their own. However, you can borrow a laptop from the university or use one of our shared computer rooms.
You will receive £5 print credit in each year of your course, available after enrolment.
All essential field trips and associated travel costs will be included in your course fees.
Access to Microsoft Office 365
Every student at the University can download a free copy of Microsoft Office 365 to use whilst at university and for 18 months after graduation.
You will be able to download SPSS and Nvivo to your home computer to support with your studies and research.
Subscriptions to key journals and websites and available through our library.
Free access to Rosetta Stone
All students can sign up to the online learning language platform for free through the Graduate+ scheme.
Excess printing (optional)
Once you have spent your £5 credit, additional printing on campus costs from 5p per sheet.
Accommodation and living costs
The cost of accommodation and other living costs are not included within your course fees. More information on the cost of accommodation can be found in our accommodation pages.
Students are required to submit a personal statement as part of their application for this course.
Your postgraduate personal statement is going to shine a light on your personal experience, academic success, personal skills and any other factors that will support your application for further study.
Here are the key areas you’ll need to address:
Your passion and motivations
Studying a postgraduate course usually means you want to specialise in something. So what’s driving you?
Why this course?
Show that you’ve researched the course offering. What is it about this particular course that appeals to you? Is it the lecturers? The modules? Etc.
What makes you a good postgraduate candidate?
Tutors want to know that you can handle postgraduate study, so show them how your undergraduate experiences or work life has equipped you for a more advanced level of study. Key areas to address are research and group work but this can vary depending on your chosen course.
Relevant academic or work experience
Add anything relevant that relates back to your chosen course and shows how your skills will contribute towards your learning. What extra-curricular activities have you taken part in? What awards have you won? What employment or voluntary experience do you have that has helped you develop transferable skills? How do these specifically relate to the course you are applying for?
You should also mention your future plans and how a postgraduate qualification fits in. Try to look beyond your postgraduate study – do you plan to jump straight into a specific career or follow your studies with a research degree? Lastly, use plain, professional English and, where possible, utilise the language of your chosen industry.
Get more information on writing personal statements.
Course in Depth
This is an integrative module which is the culmination of your studies and it is designed to be developmental in nature. It enables you to develop a deeper understanding of methodological paradigms to enable you to develop a robust proposal and enable the successful completion of the dissertation/project.
You’ll work on a full-time basis over six months, and be provided with support from our experienced team of tutors and staff.
Coming into this course, you’ll already have a professional qualification, so this is a chance to build on that. You’ll become adept at expressing yourself in a succinct, professional manner in the accounting and finance sector.
Work on the course is primarily assessment-based.
Enhancing Employability Skills
The course will put you in an excellent position to confidently approach and effectively perform middle/senior management roles across different accounting and finance sectors.
Postgraduates earn an average £9,000 more per year than those with just undergraduate degrees*. A postgraduate qualification can really help you stand out from the crowd in today’s competitive job market. By becoming a specialist in your field, you’ll have the chance to advance thinking in that subject and lead, rather than follow, the latest developments.
* Department for Business Innovation & Skills, 2015.
OpportUNIty: Student Jobs on Campus ensures that our students are given a first opportunity to fill many part-time temporary positions within the University. This allows you to work while you study with us, fitting the job around your course commitments. By taking part in the scheme, you will gain valuable experiences and employability skills, enhancing your prospects in the job market.
It will also allow you to become more involved in University life by delivering, leading and supporting many aspects of the learning experience, from administration to research and mentoring roles.
Business Advice Centre
The Business Advice Centre (BAC) is the Business School's hub that offers a range of support services to you throughout each stage of your student learning experience.
We have a range of support solutions for students as well as opportunities to enhance your employability and entrepreneurial qualities.
Whether you are considering starting your business, connecting with real companies or enhancing your graduate opportunities, the Business Advice Centre can help you.Find out more
Welcome to the Birmingham City Business School, home to students from over 70 countries all around the world!
Birmingham City Business School is one of the UK’s largest, most established and most respected business schools. Our programmes are practice based and many have an international focus, which means your course will be entirely relevant to today’s business world. Almost all of our courses, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level, are open to international students.
We also have links with universities across the world, including Europe, the USA, China, India and Malaysia.International Services
Our international pages contain a wealth of information for international students who are considering applying to study here, including:
- Explore some of the good reasons why you should study here
- Find out how to improve your language skills before starting your studies
- Find all the information relevant to applicants from your country
- Learn where to find financial support for your studies
The University is conveniently placed, with Birmingham International Airport nearby and first-rate transport connections to London and the rest of the UK.
Facilities and Staff
We are constantly investing in our estate and are currently in the process of spending £340 million on new learning facilities.
The Curzon Building
This course is based at our City Centre Campus – and specifically The Curzon Building, alongside other Social Sciences, Law, Business and English students.
The £63m building offers students a unique social learning space, including a dedicated student hub incorporating student support services, in the heart of Birmingham’s Eastside development.
The Business floors house an extensive number of IT facilities, breakout areas, and specialised rooms. The Marketing Link Agency is designed to replicate a modern marketing firm, allowing students to get real-life experience of working in the marketing sector. There is also the City Trading Room, which features state of the art stock market tracking equipment, keeping you up to date with all the financial comings and goings of the London Stock Exchange and Wall Street.
The Curzon building is also conveniently close to Birmingham’s business and financial centre, allowing for strong links between your studies and the real world.
The Curzon Building also features:
- An impressive new library with access to over 65 million full text items and stunning views of Eastside City Park
- Your Students’ Union which is located in a beautifully restored 19th century pub, The Eagle and Ball
- A modern 300-seat food court with space to study and socialise
- Brand new, accessible IT facilities with full Office365 for all students for free
- Shared facilities with the wider campus including the recently opened Parkside Building and Millennium Point