Professor Hong T. M. Bui
Professor Hong T. M. Bui has a broad social science background, including economics, education, communication, management, and various methodologies in both qualitative and quantitative. Her research focuses on the learning organisation, organisational studies and interdisciplinary approach to innovation and sustainability.
The Public Administration Review journal in 2014 reviewed Hong as a "talented researcher" and "leading scholar". She has an extensive network with researchers, practitioners and policymakers in various disciplines working on grand challenges such as sustainable cities, new energy, innovation, climate change, healthcare in the UK and many developing countries worldwide.
Hong is passionate about developing business education to transform society toward innovation and sustainability. Forbes Vietnam named her in its list of 20 Inspiring Women 2021.
Areas of Expertise
- Learning organisation for innovation and sustainability, particularly in higher education
- Co-innovation process
- Multiple methodologies
- Wicked issue investigation
- Interdisciplinary collaboration
- Provincial and regional socio-economic and environmental strategy development
- PhD in Management
- MA in Communication & Language Studies
- MA in Educational Leadership & Management
- BA in Economics
- BA in English
- 2021 - ongoing: Visiting Professor at International College, Vietnam National University, Hanoi
- 2019 - ongoing: Visiting Professor at IPAG Business School, France
- 2015 - 2017: Visiting Professor at the VN-UK Institute for Research and Executive Education, Da Nang University, Vietnam
- 2022-2023 - Australian Alumni Grants Funds: Empowering Teachers for an Uncertain Future (CoI)
- 2022-2023 - Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey: Grounded Dynamism in a Nascent Entrepreneurship Ecosystem: Perspectives from Turkey and the UK (Project supervisor for Dr Begum Samur Teraman).
- 2021 - UK-Pakistan Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to participate in “Texonomy” workshop (07-09/06) (Online participant)
- 2021-2022 - US Department of State – Alumni & Yseali Grant Programs: Disaster Risk Reduction Capacity Development for Teachers in Disaster-Prone Areas (Supervisor & Advisor)
- 2020-2021 - Crowdfunding: Vietnamese Higher Education’s Response to Covid 19 (PI)
- 2019-2020 - AVSE Global: Edit and publish a book on Vietnamese Education: Changes and Innovation.
- 2018-2019 - School of Management’s Seed Corn Grant, University of Bath: “Modern Slavery in Vietnamese Nail Bars in the UK”, (PI)
- 2017 - UK-Turkey Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to participate in “Empowering Entrepreneurship Ecosystem Leaders: Theory and Action” workshop in Ankara, Turkey (02-05/10). (Participant)
- 2017 - UK-Thailand Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to organise “Innovate Higher Education to Enhance Graduate Employability” workshop in Bangkok, Thailand (31/07-03/08) (PI)
- 2017 UK-Brazil Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to participate in “Higher Education for all” workshop in Maceio, Alagoas, Brazil (20-23/03) (Participant).
- 2017 - UK-Mexico Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to participate in “Decarbonising the Yucatan region in Mexico” workshop in Merida, Mexico (08-12/01) (Participant).
- 2016 - Research Mobility Award funded by Santander to participate “Sustainable Systems and Societies: Energy, Environment and Policy Frameworks’ workshop among University of Bath (UK), Unicamp (Brazil), Stellenbosch (South Africa) and Zhejiang University (China) in Campinas, Brazil (16-18/11/2016) (Participant).
- 2016 - UK-South Africa-Egypt Newton Trilateral Researcher Links Grant to participate “Building research capacity towards assessing success-factors in building ethical cross-sectoral healthcare management partnerships within the business, government and NGOs” workshop in Stellenbosch, South Africa (11-15/11) (Participant).
- 2016 - UK-Brazil Newton Fund Researcher Links Grant to participate “The expansion of new frontiers for renewable energy: Effects, conflicts & alternatives for populations in spaces of socio-environmental vulnerability” workshop in State of Goiás, Brazil (24-27/10) (Participant).
- 2016 - UK-Indonesia Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to participate in “Maximising Migration Benefits: Indonesian Migrant Workers from Security to Development” workshop in Jakarta, Indonesia (19-21/09) (Participant).
- 2016 - UK-Kazakhstan Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to participate in “Energy Challenges and Rural Development in the Context of Climate Change in Kazakhstan” workshop in Almaty, Kazakhstan (24-26/08) (Participant).
- 2016 - UK-Kazakhstan Newton Fund Researcher Links Grant to participate “Energy – Food – Water Nexus in Kazakhstan & UK Integrated Approach to Green Economy Transition” workshop in Astana, Kazakhstan (21-23/08) (Participant).
- 2016 - UK-Mexico Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to participate in “Sustainable Development - Exploring Energy Efficiency Opportunities through Supply Chain and Operations Innovation” workshop in Aguascalientes, Mexico (23-27/05) (Participant).
- 2016 - UK-Thailand Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to participate in “Short Food Chain: A pathway to sustainable development and employment creation” workshop in Bangkok, Thailand (21-23/03) (Participant).
- 2016 - UK-Malaysia Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to participate in Agri-Innovation Workshop: Building resilience to climate change in Malaysia through innovative and sustainable agricultural technologies in Selangor, Malaysia (14-17/03) (Participant).
- 2016 - UK-Brazil Newton Fund Researcher Links grant to participate in “1st Community-based Sustainable Energy” Workshop in Florianopolis, Brazil (15-18/02) (Participant).
- 2016 - UK-Philippine Newton Fund International Research Grant to participate in “Sustainable Cities” workshop in Manila, Philippine (25-29/01) (Participant).
- 2015 - RENKEI (Japan-UK Research and Education Network for Knowledge Economy Initiatives) Intercultural Workshop on “Renaissance Entrepreneurship: Shaping a Future of Demographic Change” at UCL sponsored by the RENKEI network and the University of Southampton (Participant).
- 2015-2017 - British Academy/Leverhulme Trust 2015 Round: Roles of Business Schools for New Generations of Innovative Business Leaders, (PI).
- 2014-2018 - University of Southampton, Faculty PGR Scholarship: Non-rational decision making in uncertainty (PI).
- 2014-2015 - University of Southampton, Faculty Research Grant: Systems Thinking and SME business performance, (PI)
- 2013-2014 - Bournemouth University, PhD Studentship: Systems thinking and performance, (PI).
- 2013-2014 - Bournemouth University, EUADS Grant: Developing measure for systems thinking, (PI)
- 2012 - Bournemouth University, Small Grant: Networking and research bids, (PI)
- 2012-2015 - Vietnam National University & Vietnam Government: Large Grant “Database for Sustainable Development of Vietnam”, (CoI).
- 2012-2013 - Bournemouth University, Fusion Grant: Student satisfaction and employability, (CoI).
- 2011-2013 - Vietnam National University Hanoi, Special Research Project: Public sector employees’ responsibility and performance, (CoI)
- 2004-2005 - Hanoi University of Science, Research Grant: Creating a learning organisation, (PI).
Note: External funding grants are in bold.
- Caroline Baylon: Unintended consequences of international education partnerships in UK research-intensive universities (lead supervisor, completed 2021, received the Richard Mawditt Award).
- Nandarani Maistry: Developing a holistic strategic thinking perspective at the individual level that enhances Strategic Enrolment Management (SEM) at higher education organisations (lead supervisor, completed 2020, received the Richard Mawditt Award).
- Linda du Plessis: Sensemaking and Legitimacy during Radical Change at South African Higher Education Institutions (lead supervisor, completed 2020, received the Richard Mawditt Award).
- Tadhg Leane: Effective Followership in Higher Education (lead supervisor, completed 2020).
- Daniela Bariakova: Systems thinking and social innovation: The case of Bulgarian education (lead supervisor, completed 2020).
- Hang Tran: Protean careers of blue and white-collar Vietnamese (2nd supervisor, completed 2019).
- Sterling Rauseo: Decision making and organisational performance (lead supervisor, completed 2019).
- Giang Hoang: Administrative, organisational culture and performance (lead supervisor, completed 2019)
- Kien Nguyen: CEOs careers in Vietnam (2nd supervisor, completed 2019).
- Hien Tran: Corporate social performance and corporate financial performance: Theory and empirical evidence from the recent financial crisis (coordinating supervisor, completed 2015).
- Yazan Hatamle: Role of transformational leadership on innovative behaviour in Jordanian higher education (lead supervisor, PG Diploma exit).
- Ana-Marija Petrunic: The Lived Experiences of Women in Middle Management: Power along the Pathway (second supervisor).
- Rachel Foster-Borman: Industry Engagement and Strategic Partnering as a Route to Development and Sustainability of STEM Research Facilities (lead supervisor).
- Jim O’Hagan: Responses to performance management in UK public universities: An Institutional Logics Perspective (second supervisor).
- Ahmad Alhusan: Examining the changing role of “Strategy and Planning Offices” in the UK HE sector: Their role in strategic planning process and risk management. (second supervisor).
- Anneshia Welsh: Impact of Social Capital on Resource Mobilization in Academic-Industry Partnerships (lead supervisor)
- Rodolph Boughaba: Understanding Wrongdoing at Higher Education Institutions (second supervisor).
- Hanadi Bahsir: Employability in the Era of Artificial Intelligence (lead supervisor)
- Tran, H, Baruch, Y. and Bui, H. T. M. (2021). On the way to self-employment: The dynamics of career mobility. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 32(14), 3088-3111. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09585192.2019.1640267?journalCode=rijh20
- Jones, D., Gardner, T. & Bui, H. T. M. (2021). Vietnamese Early Career Academics’ Identity Work: Balancing Tensions between East and West. Studies in Higher Education, https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/03075079.2021.1876651?journalCode=cshe20
- Bui, H. T. M. & Galanou, E. (2021). Translation of Systems Thinking to Organizational Goals: A Systematic Review. Journal of General Management
- Bui, H. T. M. (2021). From the Fifth Discipline to the New Revolution: What we have learnt from Senge’s ideas over the last three decades. The Learning Organization, 27(6), 495-504. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/TLO-04-2020-0062/full/html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=rss_journalLatest
- Bui, H. T. M., Liu. G., Ko, W. W. and Curtis, A. (2021). Harmonious Workplace Climate and Employee Altruistic Behavior: From Social Exchange Perspective. International Journal of Manpower, 42(1): 95-112. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IJM-11-2019-0518/full/html
- Bui, H. T. M, Shoaib, S., Tran Vu, V. H., Nguyen, Q. T. & Mai. N. (2021) Career Ambition and Employee Performance Behaviour: The Presence of Ideological Development. Journal of General Management, 46(4): 302-312. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0306307020983239
- Bui, H. T. M, Nguyen, H.T.M and Chau, V. S. (2020) Strategic agility orientation: The impact of CEO duality on corporate entrepreneurship in privatised Vietnamese firms. Journal of General Management, 45(2), 107-116. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0306307019886170?journalCode=gema
- Bui, H. T. M., Chau, V. S., Degl’Innocenti, M., Leone, L. and Vicentini, F. (2019). The resilient organisation: A meta-analysis of the effect of communication on team diversity and team performance. Applied Psychology: An International Review, 68 (4), 621–657. (Received Award of Top Downloaded Paper in Applied Psychology 2018-2019). https://iaap-journals.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/apps.12203
- Bui, H. T. M., Pinto, J. and Srivastava, A. (2019). Sexualisation of the work environment and emotional exhaustion: The case of emerging India. International Journal of Manpower, 40(4), 558-573. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IJM-05-2017-0106/full/html
- Bui, H. T. M., Chau, V. S. and Cox, J. (2019). Managing survival syndrome as scenario planning methodology … and it matters. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 68(4), 838-854. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IJPPM-05-2018-0202/full/html
- Wanick, V and Bui, H. T. M. (2019). Gamification in Management: a systematic review and research directions. International Journal of Serious Games, 6(2), 57 - 74.
- Secchi, D. and Bui, H. T. M. (2018). Group effects on individual attitudes toward social responsibility. Journal of Business Ethics, 149(3): 725-746. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10551-016-3106-x
- Bui, H. T. M., Kuan, A. and Chu, T.T. (2018). Female entrepreneurship in a patriarchal society: motivation and challenges. Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, 30(4): 325-343. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08276331.2018.1435841?journalCode=rsbe20
- Bui, H. T. M., Zeng, Y. and Higgs, M. (2017). The role of person-fit in the relationship between transformational leadership and job engagement. Journal of Managerial Psychology. 32(5): 373-386. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/JMP-05-2016-0144/full/html
- Bui, H. T. M. (2017). Big five personality traits and job satisfaction: evidence from a national sample. Journal of General Management, 42(3), 21-30. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0306307016687990?journalCode=gema
- Bui, H. T. M., Liu, G. and Footner, S. (2016). Perceptions of HR practices on job motivation and work-life balance: Mixed drives and outcomes in a labor-intensive sector. International Journal of Manpower, 37(6): 1004-1023. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/IJM-12-2015-0214/full/html
- Bui, H. T. M., Baruch, Y., Chau, V. and He, H. (2016). Team learning: The missing construct from a cross-cultural examination of higher education. Asia Pacific Journal of Management, 33: 29-51. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10490-015-9426-z
- Secchi, D., Bui, H. T. M. and Gamroth, K. (2015) Involuntary Wellness Programs: The Case of a Large US Company. Evidence-based Human Resource Management, 3(1): 2-24. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/EBHRM-09-2013-0031/full/html
- Tabvuma, V., Bui, H. T. M. and Homberg, F. (2014) Adaptation to externally driven change: the impact of political change on job satisfaction in the public sector. Public Administration Review, 74(3): 384-395. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/puar.12204 (A Commentary on the study’s impact published on the same journal issue: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/puar.12224 )
- Bui, H.T.M. (2014) Student-supervisor expectations in the doctoral supervision process for business and management students. International Journal of Business & Management Education in Higher Education, 1(1): 12-27. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.11120/bmhe.2014.00006
- Bui, H.T.M., Ituma, A. and Antoconapoulou, E. (2013). Antecedents and Outcomes of Personal Mastery: Cross Country Evidence. International Journal of Human Resource Management24(1-2): 167-194. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09585192.2012.669781?journalCode=rijh20
- Homberg, F and Bui, H.T.M. (2013). Top Management Team Diversity: A Systematic Review. Group and Organization Management 38(4): 455-479. (Editor’s Choice Award) https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/1059601113493925
- McCarthy, D., Bui, H.T.M. and Chau, V. S. (2013) Assessing performance determinants of Higher Education Academics in developed and emerging economies: the UK vs Vietnam. Strategic Change, 22(5-6): 371-385. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1002/jsc.1946
- Bui, H.T.M. and Baruch, Y. (2012). Learning organisations in higher education: an empirical evaluation within an international context. Management Learning, 43(5): 515-544.https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1350507611431212?journalCode=mlqb
- Bui, H.T.M. and Baruch, Y. (2010). Creating learning organisations: a systems perspective. The Learning Organization, 17(3): 208-227. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/09696471011034919/full/html
- Bui, H.T.M. and Baruch, Y. (2010). Creating learning organisations in higher education: applying a systems perspective. The Learning Organization,17(3): 228-242. https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/09696471011034928/full/html
- Bui, T.M.H. (2021). Future Vietnamese citizens. In Duong Bich Hang, Hoang Anh Duc & Bui Thi Minh Hong (ed), pp. 37-45. Vietnamese Education: Changes and Innovation. Hanoi: Nha Xuat Ban dan Tri. (In Vietnamese)
- Bui, H.T.M. (2020). What impacts academics’ performance from the learning organisation perspective? A comparative study. In Phan Le Ha & Doan Ba Ngoc (Ed), pp, 78-106. Higher Education in Market-Oriented Socialist Vietnam: New Players, Discourse, and Practices. Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan
- Bui, H.T.M. (2019). Senge’s learning organisation: Development of the learning organisation model. In A. Örtenblad (Ed), pp. 35-49. The Oxford Handbook of the Learning Organisation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bui, H.T.M. (2019). Other definitions of the learning organisation: When more is not less: Toward a new definition of the learning organisation. In A. Örtenblad (Ed), pp. 137-147. The Oxford Handbook of the Learning Organisation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Bui, H.T.M. (2019). Building multidisciplinary programmes that engage industry: A critical task for higher education to enhance graduate employability. In H.T.M. Bui, T.M.H. Nguyen & D. Cole (Ed). Innovate Higher Education to Enhance Graduate Employability, pp. 9-19 London: Routledge.
- Bui, H.T.M. and Nguyen, H.T.M. (2019). Higher education, innovation and employability. In H.T.M. Bui, T.M.H. Nguyen & D. Cole (Ed). Innovate Higher Education to Enhance Graduate Employability, pp. 1-8. London: Routledge.
- Bui, H.T.M. and Baruch, Y. (2013). Universities as Learning Organizations: Internationalisation and Innovation. In A. Örtenblad (Ed). Handbook of Research on the Learning Organisation: Adaptation and Context. Pp 227-244. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar.
Work With Industry
- AVSE Global, France
- British Council Thailand & Thai Higher Education Council, Thailand
- Da Nang Provincial Council, Vietnam
- Eastleigh Council and Hampshire Creativity Industries, UK
- EMA Consultancy Group, UK
- Ho Chi Minh City Council, Vietnam
- JP Morgan, UK
- Nanofabrication Centre, University of Southampton, UK
- NHS, UK
- Normandy Business School, France
- Ordnance Survey, UK
- P165, Vietnam Government
- Quang Tri Provincial Council, Vietnam
- RNLI, UK
- Vail Williams, UK
- Yen Bai Provincial Council, Vietnam