As set out in the University's Articles of Government the Board is responsible for:
- The determination of the educational character and mission of the University, and for oversight of its activities.
- The effective and efficient use of resources, the solvency of the institution and the Corporation, and for safeguarding their assets.
- Approving annual estimates of income and expenditure.
- The appointment, assignment, grading, appraisal, suspension, dismissal and determination of the pay and conditions of service of the Principal, the Clerk and holders of such other senior posts as the Board of Governors may determine.
- Setting a framework for the pay and conditions of all other staff.
The Board has approved a set of Standing Orders of the Board which govern the operation of the Board and the conduct of meetings.