Timetables and term dates

Your personalised timetable will be sacred to you during your studies, so we’ve made it easy for you to access it whenever you need it.

Student in Curzon B

Once you’ve enrolled, you will be able to access your timetable from 11 September 2019 on the homepage of iCity. To get a longer-term view of your timetable, choose ‘Your Timetable’ from the top left menu.

You can also access your timetable from the iBCU app, available on Apple iOS, Android and Windows. Search your app store for ‘iBCU’ and log in using your BCU log in details.

Term dates 2019/20

Please note that these are standard dates for the University and some courses may run on a slightly different calendar. These are usually courses with placement elements, work based learning, specialist professional and regulatory body requirements or courses with performance elements. (NHS associated courses, Teacher Training and Conservatoire courses as well as some Postgraduate courses for example).

It is strongly advised to always consult your course guide to be certain of attendance requirements before you make plans such as holidays or work commitments.

Semester 1
International arrivals w/c 9 September 2019
Welcome Week w/c 16 September 2019
Semester 1 teaching 23 September - 13 December 2019
Assessment Week 1 w/c 16 December 2019
Winter vacation 23 December 2019 - 3 January 2020
Private Study Week w/c 6 January 2020
Assessment Weeks 2 and 3 13 - 24 January 2020
Semester 2
Semester 2 teaching 27 January 2020 - 1 May 2020
Easter vacation 6 April - 24 April 2020
Private Study Week w/c 4 May 2020
Assessment Weeks 1 - 3 11 - 29 May 2020
Semester 3
Semester 3 teaching 1 June - 21 August 2020
Private Study Week w/c 24 August 2020
Assessment Weeks 1 - 2 31 August - 11 September 2020

Get the full calendar

Download your full comprehensive 2019/20 academic calendar


Who do I contact if I have queries/concerns about my timetable?

If you have any questions related to your timetable please complete the timetabling enquiry form. Your query will be forwarded to the relevant member of Timetabling staff. We endeavour to respond to all queries within two working days. If your query relates to changing the timetable in any way, your Programme Lead will be contacted for final approval.

Why can I not see my timetable?

The following things need to have occurred in order for your personalised timetable to be visible:

  • You need to be fully registered for the 2019/20 academic year
  • First year students must make sure that they have fully enrolled in order to view their personalised timetables.
  • All students must be registered on a module/assigned a group – students can check this via their Faculty office
  • If you are in the process of transferring courses or modules, there may be a delay in your timetable becoming visible.
If you are still unable to see your timetable following enrolment, please complete the timetabling enquiry form.

What does the calendar consist of?

  • International arrivals week
  • Welcome Week, which includes academic induction and many other fun activities to allow students time to get to know the campus, local area and one another
  • 12 dedicated teaching weeks, shown in blue, and three dedicated assessment weeks, shown in pink, (for semesters one and two with two assessment weeks for semester three). It is important to note that assessment can take place at any time during the course.
  • Yellow weeks show vacations (see FAQs below for campus closures)
  • Private study weeks
  • Graduate+ weeks (see FAQs below)
  • Graduation award ceremony weeks for Winter and Summer
  • ‘Week four’ cut off point for late course arrivals
The calendar also shows the deadlines for some administrative requirements which won’t be relevant to students, but are shown as they are helpful to staff.

Why are the teaching weeks shown for all year round? I thought that courses didn't run during the summer months, and started again in September?

The calendar shows three 'semesters', but usual practice is that undergraduate courses run over two semesters, often but not always, starting in September (some start in January for example). The 'third' semester is primarily (but not exclusively) for postgraduate courses that run over an intense 52 week period with the final semester (or trimester) often used for dissertation writing. Your course guide will make explicit any attendance requirements.

Do students have to attend University during assessment and private study weeks?

As a student you are expected to be available during assessment weeks. You will be notified by your course team when physical attendance is required during assessment weeks, for example for group work, presentations, examinations, recitals or performances.

Private study weeks are for study, however, you are free to choose how you utilise that time. You will usually be able to decide whether or not you need to physically come onto campus during these private study weeks, for example to use the library or specialist equipment/workspaces.

When do I hand in assessment?

Always check your course guide for assessment deadlines, but a general rule of thumb is that assessment for foundation degrees and first year undergraduates can be handed in (or examinations taken) before the Christmas break. This allows students who are new to Higher Education time to adapt to their learning environment and ensure assessment is out of the way before Christmas, giving more flexibility to prepare for Semester 2 at a reasonable pace.

Second and third year undergraduate students and all postgraduate students can expect to have to hand in assessment or take examinations at any point during the three assessment weeks. It is also important to note that all sorts of assessment (such as group work or presentations for example) can take place at any time during your course (not just during the assessment weeks). Your course guide will tell you when.

Can I book a holiday or commit to part-time work based on the calendar?

Vacation times are shown in yellow on the calendar. During these weeks you are not expected to attend classes or assessment and no coursework is expected to be handed in during vacation times, so you could book a holiday or work during these weeks if you choose. However, always check with your course team before you commit to outside plans to ensure you don’t miss essential learning, especially if you have a placement element to your course.

Does the University ever close?

The University remains open during most of the year, including vacations (with the exception of Christmas week, Good Friday, Easter Monday and other bank holidays). Most online learning material is available at all times, normally 24/7 and some on-campus resources are also open outside of normal office hours. You will be able to check opening times on campus, for example for the library or to use specialist workspaces.

When do student accommodation contracts start?

The main contract for start date for all halls of residence is Saturday 7 September 2019, this also applies to subsequent years going forward.

What is Graduate+ week?

Graduate+ week is term used when employability activities take place. This might include workshops on CV writing, how to make a job application, and how to stand out at interview as well as other support to help students gain employment. As a student you are expected to attend University during Graduate+ activity. It is important to note that employability activity can take place during other times in the academic year too, and is often embedded throughout courses. Also, teaching as usual can take place during Graduate+ weeks. Course teams will indicate what teaching/employability activity is to be expected during these weeks.

Can international students work during their studies?

What are MABs and PABs?

These are Module and Progression Award Boards and are an administrative function. These have to take place following assessment so that course teams can determine which students can progress to the next academic year or graduate, together with assessing who hasn't passed and needs to re-sit assessment. You will normally receive your confirmed marks for your assessment after MABs and PABs.