We provide a comprehensive, convenient, NHS* health care service for our current students, who register as a patient with the University health care providers.

healthcare image

Our health care service is provided by Handsworth Wood Medical Centre (part of the Modality Partnership), one of the largest surgeries in the heart of Birmingham. It is staffed by an experienced female nurse prescriber practitioner. We strongly encourage students new to Birmingham to register with our healthcare provider, however, students are free to choose any GP practice in the area and are not obliged to register with the University healthcare provider. The most important thing is that you do register with a local practice so that you have timely access to healthcare whenever you need it.

If you're moving to Birmingham to start your studies, don’t wait until you are ill to register with a doctor!

How we can help you

Health care staff offer confidential help and information on a range of health-related issues, carry out treatment and make referrals to other health care professionals. Our services include

  • Medical advice and treatments
  • New and repeat prescriptions for medicines
  • Advice and management for chronic conditions (i.e.epilepsy, asthma, diabetes) and mental health difficulties
  • Contraception – all types, including emergency contraception (‘morning after pill’)
  • Screening, advice, care and treatment for STIs (sexually transmitted infections)
  • Weight management advice
  • Advice about problems with food, diet and eating disorders
  • Drug and alcohol advice
  • Travel advice and travel booster vaccinations
  • University medical notes (e.g. for extenuating circumstances) - usually free of charge!

It's very important that you're registered with a doctor during your time at university. It's much more difficult to seek medical attention if you're feeling ill and you don’t have a doctor.

If you're new to Birmingham, you'll either need to register with the University’s health care provider or with a GP near your term-time address. Your GP at home will not be able to provide you with an 'out of hours' service (evenings / weekends). 

 Are you an international student?
Check out our guide to accessing healthcare in the UK.

Who can register with us?

We register any students currently living in the Birmingham area.

If you would prefer to register with a different practice you can visit the NHS website and search for a doctor in your area by simply typing in your postcode. You'll also find dentists, opticians and pharmacists in your area using the same website, plus a wide selection of health care advice.

Getting your jabs up to date

Before you come to university, it is really important that you check with your GP that your vaccinations are up to date.

This is particularly the case with the Men ACWY vaccination. Meningococcal bacteria can cause meningitis and septicaemia, which can first appear like flu. Both diseases are very serious, especially if not diagnosed early.

If you were born after September 1995 you probably had a MenC jab as a young child, but your immunity to the disease decreases over time. So you should get a Men ACWY booster, which has now replaced the MenC jab from your GP at least two weeks before you come to university.

Find out more about the Men ACWY vaccination.

What if I forget to get the vaccine before I go?

When you register as a patient with the university healthcare service, you can arrange to get the vaccine there, or with the GP practice you are currently registered with. But try and do that straight away – ideally in Welcome Week – don't leave it till later.

In addition to protection against meningitis, it is also very important to ensure you are protected against measles, mumps and rubella (German Measles) before coming to university. All three viruses can spread easily amongst the student population and, although usually symptoms usually pass within seven to ten days, they can cause serious illness and dangerous complications in adults. If you have not had both doses of the MMR vaccine, you are strongly advised to do so before starting university. Find out more on the Government website

*The NHS (National Health Service) is the UK's state health service which provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of health care services. Some services are free and some have to be paid for. If you are not normally resident in the UK, please visit the UKCISA website for more information about health care in the UK.

Current students can find us on iCity

Student support information is available on our student portal, iCity (a university login is required).

Find us on iCity