Cookies and Privacy

The University uses cookies on this website to provide the best experience possible including delivering personalised content on this website, other websites and social media. By continuing to use the site you agree to this, or your can go to our cookie policy to learn more and manage your settings.

Mental health and wellbeing

Current students can find us on iCity

Student Services info is available on our student portal, iCity (A university login is required).

Go to iCity

We offer advice and support whether you are thinking about applying to university, are in the process of applying or currently studying here.

Our experienced, professional advisers can help if you are experiencing all kinds of issues, including:

  • Concerns about your wellbeing – anything that is getting in the way of your studying and enjoying life at university, including concerns about relationships, sexuality and gender, accommodation difficulties, healthy lifestyle and homesickness.
  • Emerging mental health issues – sleeping problems, feeling anxious or isolated, experiencing low mood, thinking about harming yourself
  • Diagnosed mental health difficulties or illness

Our services

You don’t have to get to crisis point before you talk to us. Every year, we see around many students who have all kinds of wellbeing concerns or mental health support needs, so you are not alone in what you are experiencing.

Our services are free, confidential and can be accessed on or near to the site where you are studying. We can provide one-off general advice, or longer-term support, including a mentoring service for students in receipt of Disabled Students’ Allowances.

The counselling and wellbeing staff provide professional support services for students that meets the BACP Ethical Framework.  Support services for student include individual and group sessions, advice, guidance and support through workshops and drop-in sessions.  We provide links to quality resources available within the University and provided by external agencies.  Support services for staff include education and training sessions on mental health awareness, and mental health first aid.

We continue to review and develop the service to meet students’ needs and ensure high quality provision.  We continually review the efficacy of the agencies we refer on to, and maintain close links with reputable agencies that we feel can add value to our students.

The Wellbeing Team is available during the hours of 9am-5pm on weekdays only and does not provide a service at weekends, Bank Holidays, during the Christmas close-down or during the hours of 5pm – 9am. We recommend the following agencies who can support specific needs:

  • If you or someone else is at immediate risk to their physical or mental wellbeing while on University premises, they should call Security on 0121 331 6969 or the Emergency Services on 999 or go directly to the nearest Accident and Emergency (A&E) department.
  • Your GP can help you if you need to be prescribed medication.
  • Forward Thinking Birmingham support young people with a variety of needs such as early intervention psychosis.  They provide immediate help in crisis situations.  Available 24/7 by calling 0300 300 0099
    • Pause – a drop-in service offered by Forward Thinking Birmingham based in Digbeth.  Pause provide spaces to talk and think, and can help with self-help strategies to help manage your emotions.  Pause is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday between 10am and 6pm, Wednesday between 12pm and 8pm, and Saturday and Sunday between 11am and 4pm.
    • Choices in a non-emergency NHS service.  If you need urgent medical help but it is not a life-threatening situation ring 111 to speak to an operator who will direct to the appropriate NHS service. 
    • Mind is a charity that provides useful resources to empower and support people with a range of mental health challenges.  They raise awareness around certain issues, and celebrate useful portrayals and reporting of mental health in the media

    Care leavers

    We also provide an information and guidance service for young people leaving local authority care who are thinking about coming to university, applying or currently studying here.