Frequently asked questions

What is my Student ID Number?

Your Student ID Number (8-digits long) will be stated on your offer letter(s).

How can I choose my modules?

You can view possible course modules by clicking on ‘Course in Depth’ via the programme pages.

Please contact the Go Abroad Team on  for further details.

How many credits do I need to take?

BCU requires that you take a minimum of 60 credits (30 ECTS) for one semester and 120 credits (60 ECTS) for two semesters.

Can I transfer my BCU credits back to my studies in my home country?

Most students will be able to transfer the credits they achieve at BCU back to their degree at their home university, however, this would be upon agreement with your home university. Please contact your home university for further advice.

How can I apply for accommodation?

If you wish to stay in University-managed accommodation, please ensure you follow the Accommodation Application Instructions once you have received your offer letter and Student ID Number. Please note that this needs to be completed as soon as possible and is subject to availability according to the relevant deadline.

Some accommodation buildings are located a short distance outside of the city centre and you may need to purchase a travel pass to get to and from campus.

Please visit our Accommodation pages or contact Accommodation Services on +44 (0) 121 331 5191 or if you have any further queries.

Can I use another English Language qualification other than IELTS?

We do accept other English Language qualifications in addition to IELTS.

Do I need a visa to study in the UK?

If you are coming to the UK as a student you may need to obtain entry clearance (a visa) before travelling to the UK unless you are a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss National. Find out if you need a visa here.

Will I receive a transcript?

All credit bearing Erasmus+ and Study Abroad students will be issued with a transcript detailing their modules and final grades at the end of the academic year. 

Which countries do your current Study Abroad and Erasmus+ students come from?

BCU currently welcomes students from all over the world for short-term studies. Recent countries include Australia, China, Finland, Italy, Mexico, the Netherlands, South Korea, Spain, Taiwan, the USA amongst others! You’ll find a diverse and welcoming environment at BCU. We’re a modern and dynamic international university, with staff, students and alumni from more than 100 countries.

How can I apply to the Study Abroad programme?

If you are a student at one of our partner universities, your home university will firstly need to send a nomination to Then it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3 …

1. Find your course

2. Complete our application form

3. Submit your completed application form with the required documents to by the stated deadlines.

If you are not a student from one of our partner universities but would like to participate on the Study Abroad programme, please contact us at

How can I apply to the Erasmus+ programme?

If you are a student at one of our partner universities, your home university will firstly need to send a nomination to Once you have been nominated, you will receive the Erasmus+ application form to complete and submit.

Please note that Erasmus+ students applying for Arts, Design and Media (ADM) and Royal Conservatoire courses will need to apply directly to the Faculty.

Can I work while studying at BCU?

Working restrictions will depend on the type of visa you hold (if any). Get further information about student visas.

What are the deadlines for applying?

Deadline for one and two semester applications for September 2020: 12th June 2020 (extended by 2 weeks)

Deadline for one semester applications for January 2021: 23rd October 2020

When will I hear with a decision on my application?

We will send your offer letter as soon as possible having received all required documents. Please note that some applications will require a decision from academics in the Faculties.

How much does it cost?

If you come to BCU on a Study Abroad or Erasmus+ exchange programme from a partner university, your tuition fee will be waived. This includes everyday tuition, examination costs and membership of the Students’ Union! 

For Study Abroad students from outside of our partner institutions, please find further information regarding fees in our brochure.