PGCE Secondary courses
Our Secondary PGCE partnership trains secondary school teachers of Art & Design, Computer Science, Design and Technology (Food, Product Design and Textiles), Drama, English, History, Geography, Mathematics, Music, Physical Education, Religious Education and Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics).
Our vision for PGCE Secondary is to work in partnership to develop early career teachers who are dedicated to higher quality teaching and learning, invested in research-informed practice and who actively seek to be committed, creative, confident and collaborative teaching professionals.
Our ITE Curriculum complies with the ITT Core Content Framework (DfE, 2019). Each module within the Secondary ITE Curriculum ensures that trainees acquire research-led pedagogical and curriculum knowledge, and moreover, develop a clear insight into how to implement this knowledge as they develop their teaching skills with the support of expert colleagues across the BCU regional partnership.
Our ITE Core Curriculum comprises six themes that are embedded throughout students' university-based sessions and School-Based Training modules:
- How classroom practice establishes effective behaviour management through the use of high expectations and awareness of pupil wellbeing.
- How trainees’ knowledge and understanding of the curriculum, subject knowledge, pedagogy and how pupils learn impact on pupils’ progress and wellbeing.
- How trainees plan and assess learning to ensure that all pupils make progress.
- How trainees implement effective adaptive teaching approaches to support SEND and EAL learners.
- How trainees use critical enquiry and research informed practice to develop their understanding of effective teaching and learning.
- How trainees have developed professional behaviours and contribute effectively to the wider life of the school.