PGCE Secondary partnerships
- Placement Documents
- Professional Expectations
- Mentoring Documents
- Mentor CPD
- Partnership Information
- Minutes, Reports and Newsletters
Our strength in secondary education is the close, working relationship we have with more than 200 secondary schools across the West Midlands. These close ties ensure we are able to produce the right teachers for this demanding sector.
The partnership trains secondary school teachers of Art & Design, Computer Science, Design and Technology (Food, Product Design and Textiles), Drama, English, History, Geography, Mathematics, Music ,Physical Education, Religious Education and Science (Biology, Chemistry and Physics). Partnership schools receive payments for their work with trainees.
These pages contain a range of documents and support materials to accompany our PGCE Secondary course. Documentation is intended to provide partners with a holistic understanding of the course and a more specific knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of tutors, mentors and trainee teachers.
" I can confirm that our commitment to BCU as a very close ITT partner continues to grow from strength to strength." - Professional Mentor and School Direct Lead - Holte School, Birmingham
"Birmingham City University are very supportive of trainees and the academy, we have employed several past students" - Professional Mentor - Heartlands Academy, Birmingham
"The partnership we have with Birmingham City University is excellent. The university tutors provide us with a good level of support and guidance." Professional Mentor - Kings School, Wolverhampton
"Terrific students - brilliant future teachers" - Subject Mentor - Ridgewood High School, Stourbridge
"Very impressed with the whole structure and organisation of placements...Tutors are all very approachable and helpful, and paperwork is very clear " - Professional Mentor - Wood Green Academy, Wednesbury
"I have always found the tutors at Birmingham City University very helpful and knowledgeable" Professional Mentor - Kings Norton Boys School, Birmingham
Mentors in partnership schools and colleges can enrol on a fully funded Level 7 module in Coaching and Mentoring. Find out more about how it will work for you and your teams in schools below:
Placements during a pandemic:
All our trainees have been 'attached' to one school during this academic year to mitigate for issues that arise during the pandemic. Their resilience and flexibility will stand them in great stead for their future careers.
Furthermore, following the recent Government announcement that schools may not fully re-open to all pupils until 8th March at the earliest, we wanted to update you with the plans and expectations for the trainee teachers you are currently supporting.
- Your PGCE student(s) will continue to support learners in classrooms and online and work closely with class teachers and with departmental colleagues.
- Formal lesson observations will be challenging to organise during this time but trainees will benefit from informal feedback, team teaching, professional discussions about the approaches to teaching and learning, particularly online teaching and learning, the progress of pupils and weekly professional discussions.
- Trainee teachers this year may not have equitable experiences in schools. All trainees will be judged against Teachers’ Standards in the context in which they are working alongside teachers in school. The Progress Assessments, made at Progress Meetings will be made as ‘best fit’ judgements and Teachers Standards’ should be considered as a whole rather than a series of bullet points to be met.
For Partnership enquiries, please contact the Partnership Team:
- Telephone: +44 (0)121 331 7105
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please be advised that our History Tutor, Helen Elliott, is currently on maternity leave. Please direct enquiries in History to the PGCE programme lead:
General enquiries about placements should still be sent to email@example.com as detailed in the Placement Information Pack and on the Placement Offers Form available on the links on these pages