Birmingham City University (BCU) is hosting a special collaborative event highlighting the potential contribution of magnesium to the emerging Indian market, as part of celebrations for the 75th anniversary of India's independence.
Posted 24 February 2022
Increasing magnesium's industrial reach
The event is taking place on Monday 14 March from 1 - 3.15pm (UK time), in collaboration with the International Magnesium Association (IMA).
The Indian Market is emerging in terms of transport, not only by its size, but also by its engineering potential and its appetite to develop its education capability and technical skills.
So why isn’t magnesium more widely used by the transport sector in India? Hoping to answer this question and increase the material’s industrial reach, BCU and IMA are hosting a seminar to inspire and educate about the wonder of magnesium.
This event is part of a series of business-related events BCU is hosting throughout the year. For more information, visit our BCU Advantage events page.
International speakers with extensive industry
The event will feature a number of key international speakers, including:
- Rick McQueary, President of the IMA, as well as Senior Vice-President and COO of Mag Specialties Inc. Rick boasts over 37 years of experience in the magnesium industry.
- Professor Stephen Brown, Visiting Professor at BCU. Prior to this, Stephen worked at Meridian, designing, developing and manufacturing structural magnesium die cast component for over 20 years.
- Partha Choudhary, COO of LML, a leader in electric mobility. In his previous roles, Partha has successfully led the growth of Hero Lectro, Yamaha and more.
- Akshar Ghai, Managing Director of ALMAMET India Private Ltd since its incorporation in 2012.
- Suraj Navrekar, a graduate in engineering in industrial production from RVCE, Bangalore. He is now proudly associated with Rauch Furnace Technology, handling their business development in India.
- Professor Trevor Abbott, Director of Research and Development at Magontec Limited and Director of Abbottics Pty Ltd.
- Dr R Murugan, Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering, Panimalar Institute of Technology, Chennai, boasting more than 25 years of teaching experience.
- Martin Tauber, Founder of FAURIS, a company which provides industry services on a global basis, as well as European Representative and former Chairman of the European Committee of the IMA.
- Makhan Singh, Senior Development Manager for the Partnerships team at BCU, with a prime partnership engagement focus on India.
- Dr Venkatesh Chennam, leader of the Knowledge-Based Engineering (KBE) Lab at BCU's School of Engineering.
BCU has conducted numerous collaborative projects with India to celebrate the country's 75th anniversary of independence.
For example, the University has recently collaborated with The Lala Bahadur Chand Munjal Foundation to host an event offering expert advice on launching a startup, part of a series of masterclasses before opening an innovation centre in India.
“This programme represents BCU India’s ongoing work to further develop cultural, business, political and academic links between the University and India," says Makhan Singh, Senior Development Manager (India Partnerships) within BCU’s Research, Innovation, Enterprise and Employability directorate.
"I am hoping attendees will learn of the great benefits of magnesium from leading experts and the great reach this material can provide to the ever growing Electric mobility agenda, both in India and internationally.”
Interested in attending? Register your interest via the Eventbrite link.