Kashan Pirzada earned his Ph.D. in Accounting from the University of Malaya. He began his academic career in 2009 at Bahria University, where he gained his MBA. He is an enthusiastic academician in financial accounting and corporate governance.
Before joining Birmingham City University, Kashan was a Senior lecturer of Financial Accounting at Tunku Puteri Intan Safinaz School of Accountancy (TISSA), University Utara Malaysia, and an Associate Fellow of the Asian Research Institute for Corporate Governance (ARICG). He served as program course coordinator and was involved in several administrative committees, including being a member of the EFMD accreditation team and recipient of a UUM excellent service award in 2020.
Dr. Pirzada’s doctoral dissertation dealt with the topical issue of nomination committees, demographic faultline of directors using interdisciplinary theoretical perspectives ranging from power issues, ethnic struggles, and cultural and political ramifications combined with GMM estimation modeling. During his teaching tenure, he taught different financial accounting modules at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. He has supervised several honours and master’s degree students and 4 Ph.D. students at UUM and elsewhere.
Dr. Pirzada's an active researcher operating around the issues of corporate governance, corporate reporting, accounting disclosure, and CSR/sustainability in developing, emerging, and advanced economies. His work has been published in scholarly journals such as the Social Responsibility Journal, Cogent Business and Management, Journal of Risk and Financial Management, and International Journal of Economics and Management.
He is on the editorial board of several reputable refereed journals, such as the International Journal of Ethics and Systems, Polish Journal of Management Studies, Accounting and Finance Review, and a lead guest editor for Foresight and STI Governance. He is also a columnist for The Epoch Times.
- Corporate governance (Board composition, sub-committees, ownership structures)
- Corporate reporting
- Corporate disclosure
- PhD in Accounting, University of Malaya
- MS in Accounting and Finance, Shaheed Zulfikar Ali
- Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology
- MBA in Finance, Bahira University
- BCOM in Accounting, University of Karachi
Dr. Pirzada's research interests focus on accounting and corporate governance (including board composition, sub-committees, and ownership structures); corporate reporting and disclosure; corporate social responsibility, and green sustainability. Over the years, his focus on understanding the practices by which corporate governance composition influences structural outcomes, such as efficiency/financial distress, disclosure, reporting, and others.
In his current working papers on the corporate governance stream, he intends to understand the antecedents and consequences of corporate governance arrangements in different organizational settings, including integrated reporting and sustainable corporate governance.
- Fachrudin, K. A., Pirzada, K., & Iman, M. F., (2022). The Role of Financial Behavior in Mediating the Influence of Socioeconomic Characteristics and Neurotic Personality Traits on Financial Satisfaction. Cogent Business and Management 9(1).
- Ahmed, Z., Hussin, M. R. A., & Pirzada, K. (2022). The Impact of Intellectual Capital and Ownership Structure on Firm Performance. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 15(12), 553. doi:10.3390/jrfm15120553
- Kurniawati, E., Kohar, U. H. A., & Pirzada, K. (2022). Change Or Destroy: The Digital Transformation of Indonesian MSMEs To Achieve Sustainable Economy. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 26(2), 248-264. doi: 10.17512/pjms.2022.26.2.15
- Hanif & Pirzada, K. (2022). The Effect of Incentive Principles Based on Mato System Toward Firm Performance Through Employee Work Productivity. Journal of Governance and Regulation, 11(4). doi:10.22495/jgrv11i4art11
- Rudyanto, A., & Pirzada, K. (2021). The role of sustainability reporting in shareholder perception of tax avoidance. Social Responsibility Journal, 17(5), 669-685.
- Wati, L.N., Pirzada, K., Ramdany; Momon, (2020). Determinants of Accounting Conservatism in Politically Connected Firms. Journal of Security and Sustainability Issues, 10(1): 189-201. doi:10.9770/jssi.2020.10.1(14)
- Eriandani, R.; Pirzada, K.; Kurniawan, M. K. (2020). The role of auditor characteristics: earnings management and audit committee effectiveness, Entrepreneurship, and Sustainability Issues, 7(4): 3242-3252. doi:10.9770/jesi.2020.7.4(44)
- Arniati, T.; Puspita, D. A.; Amin, A.; Pirzada, K. (2019). The implementation of good corporate governance model and auditor independence in earnings' quality improvement, Entrepreneurship and Sustainability Issues 7(1): 188-200. doi:10.9770/jesi.2019.7.1(15)
- Hanif, H., Rakhman, A., Nurkholis, M., & Pirzada, K. (2019). Intellectual capital: extended VAIC model and building of a new HCE concept: the case of Padang Restaurant Indonesia. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism, and Leisure, 8(Special Edition), 1-15.
- Suryani A., Pirzada K., Mufidah M. (2018). Analysis of Opportunistic Behavior of Management to Company Performance. Polish Journal of Management Studies, 18 (1): 379-388. doi:10.17512/pjms.2018.18.1.28
- Pirzada K., MZ, M. and Alfan E. (2017). Antecedents of Ethnicity Diversity: The Role of Nomination Committees. International Journal of Economics & Management, 11 (S1), 103 – 119.
- Solikhah, B., Firmansyah, ND., Pirzada, K., (2017). The influence of effective BOC on the choice of auditor. Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities, Vol 25 (S), 271 – 280.
- Pirzada K., MZ, M. and Alfan E. (2016). The Role of Nomination Committee in Selecting Female Directors: A Case of Malaysia. Pertanika Journal of Social Sciences & Humanities, 24 (S), 105 - 118.
- Pirzada, K, Wickramasinghe, D., Moens Gabriël, Ahmed, K. (2016). "EDITORIAL: Introduction to Special Issue on Contemporary Issues in Management and Social Sciences Research. Elsevier Procedia Journal of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 219, Pages 1-3.
- Pirzada, K., Mustapha, M. Z. B., & Wickramasinghe, D. (2015). Firm performance, institutional ownership, and capital structure: A case of Malaysia. Elsevier Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 211, 170-176. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877042815053653
- Pirzada, K, Wickramasinghe, D., Moens Gabriël, Hamid, AFA. (2015). "EDITORIAL: Introduction to Special Issue on Multidisciplinary Perspectives on Management and Society. Elsevier Procedia Journal of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 211.
- Pirzada, K, Wickramasinghe, D., Moens Gabriël, Ahmed, K. (2014). "EDITORIAL: Introduction to Special Issue on Contemporary Issues in Management and Social Sciences Research. Elsevier Procedia Journal of Social and Behavioral Sciences, Volume 172.
Papers in Progress
- Does the Independence of a Board Nominations Committee Influence Demographic Diversity and Performance? Evidence from ASEAN Countries.
- Stock Price Synchronicity, Earnings Quality, Foreign Ownership: Evidence of ASX200 Firms.
- The Roles of Digital Services in Achieving Financial Sustainability and Financial Performance in Public Banks.
- Integrated Reporting: A Review and Future Directions.
Opinion Pieces, The Epoch Times
- Pirzada, K., Moens, G., 2022. Pakistan’s Politics Fuelling Economic Malaise. https://www.theepochtimes.com/pakistans-politics-fuelling-economic-malaise_4854346.html
- Pirzada, K., Moens, G., 2022. The War in Ukraine: A Challenge for the Global Economy. https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-war-in-ukraine-a-challenge-for-the-global-economy_4717839.html
- Pirzada, K., Moens, G., 2022. Blaming Pakistan’s Flood Disaster on Human-Driven Climate Change May Be Premature. https://www.theepochtimes.com/blaming-pakistans-flood-disaster-on-human-driven-climate-change-may-be-premature_4703315.html
- Pirzada, K., Moens, G., 2022. Bridging the Cultural Divide in Malaysia: A Challenge for Doctoral Supervisors? https://www.theepochtimes.com/bridging-the-cultural-divide-in-malaysia-a-challenge-for-doctoral-supervisors_4599601.html
- Moens, G., Pirzada, K., 2022. The Demise of Pakistan's Khan Government https://www.theepochtimes.com/the-demise-of-pakistans-khan-government_4403365.html
Member of Editorial boards
- Member of Editorial board of International Journal of Ethics and Systems
- Lead Guest Editor Foresight and STI Governance
- Member of Editorial board of Polish Journal of Management Studies
- Founding Editor of Accounting and Finance Review
- Member of Editorial board of International Trade and Business Law Review
- Member of Editorial board of Journal of Multiparadigm Accounting