Birmingham School of Architecture was originally arranged by Birmingham Architectural Association towards the end of the 19th century. The School originated in classes held at the College of Art in Margaret Street. In 1908 the School became a department of the College.
Recognition by the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) of the Part 1 Examination was granted in 1923, followed by the Part 2 and Part 3 Examinations in 1930.
In 1970 the principal Colleges of Higher Education in Birmingham were amalgamated to form Birmingham Polytechnic. A facility structure grouped architecture with construction and surveying, planning, landscape and housing in the Faculty of the Built Environment.
The vocational field of Interior Design was developed at Birmingham Polytechnic between 1971 and 1992.
University status was granted in 1992 when the Polytechnic became the University of Central England in Birmingham (UCE).
In 2001 the School of Architecture and Landscape was formed within the Faculty. In June 2005 Birmingham School of Architecture moved to the Birmingham Institute of Art and Design (BIAD) at Gosta Green campus.
In 2008 the School celebrated its Centenary year. Announcements were made about a move to a new £62 million building at Eastside.
Now and next
The move to The Parkside Building at Eastside took place in September 2013.
From September 2014, the School is part of the Faculty of Arts, Design and Media. The Faculty embodies the strong creative and cultural offer of the University and builds on our distinctive strengths.
In August 2015, the School incorporated 3D Design into its structure, becoming Birmingham School of Architecture and Design.
Our students take a role in City Centre Campus project
The second phase of our City Centre Campus project has seen our students team up with Birmingham-based Willmott Dixon Construction Ltd to build the 24,300m² facility.