Cookies and Privacy

The University uses cookies on this website to provide the best experience possible including delivering personalised content on this website, other websites and social media. By continuing to use the site you agree to this, or your can go to our cookie policy to learn more and manage your settings.

Parents and supporters

Should my son or daughter live at home or in halls of residence?

Deciding whether or not to move away from home for university is a very personal decision.

Some students decide to live at home for their first year, then move into a shared house with friends in their second and third years. Others want to live in halls even if their parents live close to campus.

If you live further than 10 miles from your place of study and have accepted an offer on a full-time course at Birmingham City University, you are guaranteed a room in our halls of residence during your first year of study, provided you have applied for accommodation by the deadline date.

Living with other students close to campus Costs
More independence More responsibility for domestic chores
Making new friends Losing touch with friends from home

What accommodation do you offer?

We maintain friendly and affordable self-catering halls of residence with CCTV and 24-hour security. Accommodation varies from en suite rooms to two bedroom flats. We also can offer single sex accommodation.

Most of the students living in our halls are first-year students – most second- and third-year students choose either to re-book with our partner providers or privately rent shared houses together.

Birmingham City University has eight campuses, but most of our students study at one campus most of the time. Unfortunately, due to demand, we can’t always offer students their first preference, however we do have an extensive portfolio of accommodation in key locations.

For full details, please visit our Accommodation section.

How much does it cost?

We offer a range of accommodation to suit all needs and pockets.

Accommodation fees are subject to annual increases and can be paid instalments, further details for each property are located on the accommodation web page. Once allocated a room, you would be required to make a security deposit or advance payment and details of a guarantor to secure the booking.

Students living in halls are usually exempt from Council Tax.

What accommodation do you offer for disabled students?

If you have a disability or long-term health condition which causes you significant difficulties in your day-to-day life it is essential that you contact Accommodation Services as soon as possible to discuss your specific requirements.

How do I apply?

Once you have accepted a firm course offer and made BCU your first choice the next day an email will be sent to you to apply for accommodation using our on-line portal.

If you have accepted an Unconditional Course Offer the allocation team will allocate you a room and an offer email will be sent to you, you will be given three days to accept the booking and make the appropriate payment.