Centre for Academic Success - student support
Sign up to the Success course
Access the course via Moodle
What is the Success course?
The Success course has been created to help you develop your academic skills.
Whether you are doing your first degree, or your Master's or PhD, we are here to provide support and information to help you achieve your full potential at Birmingham City University.
This course runs in addition to the qualification you are working towards, and allows you to work on key academic skills at your own pace.
Is this course right for me?
The main content of the Success course is based around skills that you may need during your time studying and is designed to enhance your academic and maths skills. It is split into two sections: Starting university and Maths. You can complete either of these topics you think will be useful.
The course also has a section to help you plan your assignment/s and track your progress.
If you feel like you could use any support in the following skills, this course may be for you.
- Studying at University: Learning and assessment
- Being an Independent Learner: Self Study and Time Management
- Reading, research and critical analysis
- Academic writing essentials
- Referencing, plagiarism and collusion
- Understanding the task
- Writing your assignment
- Proofreading and editing
- Getting feedback
- Calculation strategies (including long division)
- Positive and negative numbers
- Fractions, decimals and percentages
- Rounding and estimation
- Indices and unit conversions
- Algebra and using brackets
- Solving equations and using formulas
What do I need to do to enrol?
All of the content for this course is available through Moodle self-enrolment. If this has been recommended to you, or you think it would be useful, you can access it below.