Centre for Academic Success - student support
- Workshops and tutorials
- Student success coaching
- Success 2018
- Our staff and tutors
- Online resources
Sign up to the Success courseSign up
Access the course via Moodle
What is the Success course?
The Success course has been created to help you develop your academic skills.
Whether you are doing your first degree, or your Master's or PhD, we are here to provide support and information to help you achieve your full potential at Birmingham City University.
This course runs in addition to the qualification you are working towards, and allows you to work on key academic skills at your own pace.
Is this course right for me?
The main content of the Success course is based around skills that you may need during your time studying and is designed to enhance your academic and maths skills. It is split into two sections, Your First Assignment and Maths. You can complete one, or both, of these topics.
If you feel like you could use any support in the following skills, this course may be for you.
Your First Assignment:
- Are you studying effectively
- Time management and making changes
- Lectures – before, during and after
- Proofreading and editing
- What is academic writing?
- The rules for academic writing
- Research, planning and writing
- Writing issues and editing
- Calculation strategies (including long division)
- Positive and negative numbers
- Decimals and percentages
- Rounding and estimation
- Indices and unit conversions
- Introductory algebra
- Using brackets
- Solving equations
- Using formulas
- Applications of numeracy and algebra
What do I need to do to enrol?
All of the content for this course is available through Moodle self-enrolment. If this has been recommended to you, or you think it would be useful, you can access it below.