Child care

If you have children and are considering taking up a place at university yourself, you may have concerns about managing your studies alongside the full-time job of parenting. Our dedicated child care adviser can offer a range of support and advice.

Teacher and child

As a parent studying at Birmingham City University, you will learn the skill of balancing studying, family life, and your own needs. We appreciate your situation and we will do what we can to help you succeed on your student journey.

Childcare advice

Our specialist childcare adviser can provide confidential advice on a range of childcare issues to suit your situation. The childcare adviser has a wealth of knowledge and experience in the childcare field including helping you with the following:

  • Provide confidential advice and guidance on a range of childcare related issues on all university sites
  • Finding suitable child care provision
  • What to look for when choosing child care
  • Before and after school clubs
  • Holiday play schemes and extra curricular activities
  • Child care funding
  • Benefits
  • Free pre-school childcare (criteria applies)
  • Applying for school places
  • Balancing and juggling being a student and a parent
  • Emergency child care.

Discuss your needs

If you would like to discuss your child care needs please contact the Money and Childcare advice team. Our adviser can give you information on child care options, financial advice and ideas on balancing your studies and family life. If you would like to speak with our adviser over the phone you can call 0121 331 6064.

Child care options

Our specialist child care adviser can advise you on many options of child care to suit your individual needs, from a range of childcare options such as nurseries, childminders, before and aftercare, holiday clubs and au-pairs. You can find more information on different types of childcare from Birmingham City Council.


UK undergraduate and postgraduate students can apply for funding through Student Finance England. For those students with children grants may be available, please check Student Finance for more information. 

Students studying NHS courses can find information regarding the new training grant here or you can call them on 0300 330 1345.

Students struggling financially can apply for the University's hardship fund. For more information and to find our if you qualify for this please contact our Money and Childcare advice team.

International students have a dedicated team to support you but if you are in financial need, please contact student support for more information.

Useful contacts

Aston University Nursery

Aston University has a purpose built nursery that caters for up to 104 children aged from three months to five years and is based on Coleshill Street, just a short distance from Birmingham City University, City Centre Campus. They offer a discount for BCU students and staff. Find out more via their website.

The Family Information Service

The Family Information Service is based in Birmingham city centre. The information provided by the Family Information Service is to enable parents and carers find childcare within the Birmingham local authority. They can also provide contact details for surrounding areas. You can find more information on Birmingham City Council's website or call 0121 303 1888.

Student Finance England

You can contact Student Finance England on 0300 330 0607.

Children's services, Birmingam

You can contact children's services on 0121 308 1888.

Gingerbread - support for single parents

If you are a single parent and require support and advice you can contact Gingerbread on 0808 802 0925.

Current students can find us on iCity

Student support information is available on our student portal, iCity (a university login is required).

Find us on iCity