Cookies and Privacy

The University uses cookies on this website to provide the best experience possible including delivering personalised content on this website, other websites and social media. By continuing to use the site you agree to this, or your can go to our cookie policy to learn more and manage your settings.

Child Care

If you have children and are considering taking up a place at university yourself, you may have concerns about managing your studies alongside the full-time job of parenting. Our dedicated Child Care Adviser can offer a range of support and advice.

Studying and being a parent can often be challenging. Our Child Care Adviser, located in Student Affairs, is at hand to offer help and support whatever your child care requirements.

Current students can find us on iCity

Student Affairs info is available on our student portal, iCity (A university login is required).

Go to iCity

"The Child Care Adviser's help was real and professional and I hope that she will always be there for every student who needs child care help."

Having a family of her own and a degree, the Child Care Adviser understands the needs of students who are also parents. She can provide confidential advice on a wide range of child care and financial issues to suit your situation. She has a wealth of knowledge and experience and can help you with the following:

  • Finding suitable child care provision
  • What to look for when choosing child care
  • Before and after school clubs
  • Holiday play schemes and extra curricular activities
  • Child care funding
  • Tax credits
  • Child care vouchers
  • The Access to Learning Fund
  • Free entitlement for three/four year olds and some two year olds
  • Applying to a school
  • Balancing and juggling being a student and a parent
  • Emergency child care

International students

Our Specialist Child Care Adviser can give you support on finding and choosing childcare in the UK to help your children settle in to a new country. Where possible, please inform the Child Care Adviser of your requirements before arriving in the UK. Student Affairs can also provide advice about you and your dependants’ immigration.

Discuss your needs

If you would like to discuss your child care needs please contact a member of the Student Help Zone team. They can give you some information on child care options, financial advice and ideas on balancing your studies and family life.

If your child care providers have let you down, our Child Care Adviser may be able to help you.