Emerita Professor Fatemeh Rabiee-Khan
Professor of Public Health Promotion
School of Health Sciences
Emerita Professor Fatemeh Rabiee is a professor in Public Health Promotion and a registered Public Health Nutritionist with extensive experience of teaching, research, and research supervision in UK, Iran, Netherlands, Turkey, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, and other countries of economic transition. She has initiated, designed, managed, and implemented a number of applied research projects in the broad area of health and social care using a range of quantitative, qualitative, and mixed methods.
Fatemeh is committed to redressing health inequality through working with a range of stakeholders including community groups/ active citizens. Her main area of speciality is translational research working with a range of stakeholders to implement research findings into policy and practice. "Be Active Birmingham" is one of the best examples of such work, highlighting the impact of her research by using the research findings and post research activities to promote the health of population through lobbying, advocacy, and campaigning.
Fatemeh regularly contributes as a chair and keynote speaker to a number of international conferences in the broad area of public health.
- Methods of research and evaluation
- Health promotion/public health theory and practice
- Public health nutrition
- Public health in countries of economic transition
- Global health
- Ethics in health care and research
- Community engagement.
- Nutrition Society
- European Public Health Association
- International Union of Health Promotion & Education (IUHPE).
- Division of Mental Health and Well-being, Warwick Medical School, Warwick University
- School of Public Health, Birmingham University
- Nottingham University
- Avicenna University, Tajikistan
- Tashkent Medical School, Uzbekistan
- Tashkent State Dental Institute, Uzbekistan
- Cardiac Sciences Department, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Saudi Arabia.
- Department of Epidemiology, High Institute of Public Health, Alexandria University, Alexandria, Egypt
- The Maldives National University, Malé Maldives.
- WHO Regional Office for the Eastern Mediterranean, Cairo, Egypt.
- Birmingham & Solihull Mental HealthTrust Foundation (BSMHT), Birmingham
- Royal Society for Public Health
- Nutrition Society
- Heart Friends Around the World
- International Union of Health Promotion/ Education
- European Public Health Association
- European Federation of Nutrition Society
- UK Universities' Ethics Committee
- Egyptian Society of Cardiovascular disease, Cairo, Egypt
- British Council, Tashkent, Uzbekistan
- Public health and health policy
- Health promotion
- Public health nutrition
- Mental health promotion
- Obesity prevention and management
- Health inequality
- Evaluation of Community Based intervention programme.
Current research projects
- Covid-19 Students ‘Health & Wellbeing: The impact of Social distancing on Students’ health & well -being; a collaborative research study with 133 Universities in 27 countries.
- International Covid-19 Study on Nutritional Behaviour, Health and Well-Being of University staff a collaborative study with 4 Universities in 4 Countries.
- G.Berg-Beckhoff, M.Bask, S.S.Jervelund, J.D.Guldagar, A.Quickfall, F.Rabiee Khan, G.Oddsson, K.A.VanDerWel, K.K.Saraajarvi, V.Buffel, V.Skalica, S.Van de.Velde(2022) Political stringency, infection rates, and higher education students' adherence to government measures in the Nordic countries and the UK during the first wave of the COVID-19 outbreak. Preventive Medicine, Volume 164, November 2022, 107245 DOI: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2022.107245
- Berhe, N.M., Van de Velde, S., Rabiee-Khan, F. et al.(2022) Knowledge deficit and fear of COVID-19 among higher education students during the first wave of the pandemic and implications for public health: a multi-country cross-sectional survey. BMC Public Health 22, 1144. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-022-13511-3
- Veerle Buffel, Sarah Van de Velde, Yildiz Akvardar, Miia Bask, Marie-Christine Brault, Heide Busse, Andreas Chatzittofis, Joel Ladner, Fatemeh Rabiee-Khan, Theoni Stathopoulou, Marie-Pierre Tavolacci, Claudia van der Heijde, Claudia R. Pischke, Paula Mayara Matos Fialho and Edwin Wouters (2022) Depressive symptoms in higher education students during the COVID-19 pandemic: the role of containment measures (2022) European Journal of Public Health. DOI: 10.1093/eurpub/ckac026
- S.Van de Velde, V.Buffe, C.van der eijde, S.Çoksan, P.Bracke, T.Abel, H.Busse, H.Zeeb, F.Rabiee-khan, T.Stathopoulou, G.Van al, J.Ladner, M.Tavolacc, R.Tholen, E.Wouters for the C19 ISWS consortium (2021) Depressive symptoms in higher education students during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic. An examination of the association with various social risk factors across multiple high- and middle-income countries. SSM - Population Health, Volume 16, PP;1- 12,
- Report: Student well-being during the first wave of COVID-19 pandemic in Birmingham, UK | Zenodo
- Islam, Zoebia and Rabiee-Khan, Fatemeh and Singh, Swaran P. (2021) Culture and Spirituality in the Process of Mental Health and Recovery: Users and Providers Perspectives. Diversity and Equality in Health and Care, 18 (8). pp. 425-429. ISSN 2049-5471
- Fatemeh Rabiee Khan and Karolina Biernat (2021). Nutritional Behaviour and Perceptions on Staying Well during the First Wave of COVID-19 Pandemic the Experiences of Students from a University in Birmingham, UK. Acta Scientific Nutritional Health 5.8: 03-09.
- Fatemeh Rabiee Khan, Rasmieh Alzeidan, Shabana Tharkar, Anhar Ullah, and Ahmed S. Hersi (2020)Food and Migration: Dietary Acculturation among Migrants to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, Journal of Primary Care & Community Health Volume 11: 1–6 DOI: 10.1177/2150132720949771
- Rasmieh Alzeidan, Amel Fayed, Fatemeh Rabiee, Ahmad Hersi and Hala Elmorshedy (2020). Diagnostic performance of waist-to-height ratio in identifying cardiovascular risk factors and metabolic syndrome among adult Saudis A cross-sectional study . Saudi Med J 2020; Vol. 41 (3), PP253-260
- Rabiee, F and Thompson, L (2018) FABTOTS- An early years community-based obesity prevention programme: A pilot study , Prev Med Commun Health , 2018 doi: 10.15761/PMCH.1000112 Volume 1(2): 1-7
- Rabiee, F (2018) Redressing health inequality through social prescription programme , Volume 2(4): 3-4, Health Prim Car, 2018 doi: 10.15761/HPC.1000146
- Rasmieh A. Alzeidan, Fatemeh Rabiee, Ahmed A. Mandil, Ahmad S. Hersi and Anhar A. Ullah (2017), Changes in dietary habits, physical activity and status of metabolic syndrome among expatriates in Saudi Arabia. EMHJ, Vol. 23, No. 12, PP; 836 - 844 http://applications.emro.who.int/emhj/v23/12/EMHJ_2017_23_12_836_844.pdf?ua=1
- Alzeidan R, Rabiee F, Mandil A, Hersi A, Fayed A (2016) Non-Communicable Disease Risk Factors among Employees and Their Families of a Saudi University: An Epidemiological Study. PLOS ONE 11(11): e0165036. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0165036 http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0165036
- Singh, S. P., Brown, L., Winsper, C., Gajwani, R., Islam, Z., Jasani, R., Parsons, H., Rabbie-Khan, F. and Birchwood, M. (2015) Ethnicity and pathways to care during first episode psychosis: The role of cultural illness attributions, 15(1). DOI: 10.1186/s12888-0
- Zoebia Islam, Fatemeh Rabiee, and Swaran P. Singh (2015) Black and Minority Ethnic Groups’ Perception and Experience of Early Intervention in Psychosis Services in the United Kingdom. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology 1–17 DOI: 10.1177/0022022115575737
- Lovelace, S. and Rabiee-Khan, F. (2015) Food choices made by low-income households when feeding their pre-school children: A qualitative study. Maternal and Child Nutrition, 11 (4). pp. 870-881. ISSN 17408695
- Rabiee, F. and Robbins, A. and Khan, M. (2015) Gym for Free: The short-term impact of an innovative public health policy on the health and wellbeing of residents in a deprived constituency in Birmingham, UK. Health Education Journal Vol. 74(6) 691 –704 DOI: 10.1177/0017896914553957
- Rabiee, F. and Smith, P.(2014) Understanding mental health and experience of accessing services in African and African Caribbean users and carers in Birmingham UK. Diversity and Equality in Health and Care; 11: 125-34
- Stavroula Bibila and Fatemeh Rabiee (2013) Training the powerful: Issues that emerged during the evaluation of a communication skills training programme for senior cancer care professionals. European Journal of Cancer Care. DOI: 10.1111/ecc.12167
- Sally Lovelace and Fatemeh Rabiee-Khan (2013) Food choices made by low-income households when feeding their pre-school children: a qualitative study. Maternal and Child Nutrition First published online. 16 JAN 2013 DOI: 10.1111/mcn.12028
- Yvonne Kerkhof, Fatemeh Rabiee, Charles G. Willems (2013) Experiences of using a memory aid to structure and support daily activities in a small-scale group accommodation for people with dementia. Dementia: The International Journal of Social Research and Practice. Published online before print October 17, 2013, doi: 10.1177/1471301213504210
- Fatemeh Rabiee and Paula Smith (2013) Being Understood, Being Respected: An Evaluation of Mental Health Service Provision from Service Providers and Users’ Perspectives in Birmingham, UK’ International Journal of Mental Health Promotion. Volume 15, No3, pp 162-177
- Morag MacDonald, Fatemeh Rabiee and Caren Weilandt (2013). Health promotion and Young prisoners: A European Perspective. International Journal of Prisoner Health. Vol 9, No.3, pp 151-164
- Yvonne Kerkhof, Fatemeh Rabiee, Charles G. Willems(2011) Memory aid to structure and support daily activities for people with dementia. Assistive Technology Research Series, Vol 29 - Page 3-9. DOI 10.3233/978-1-60750-814-4-3
- Rabiee (2007) The Role of Nutrition and Exercise in Prevention and Management of Cardiovascular Disease. Proceeding of Cardiology update 2006, pp 32-37.
- Rabiee, F. and Smith, P. (2007) Too much overlooking. Mental Health Today, May 2007, pp.26-29.
- Rabiee, F (2006) Sustainability in local public health nutrition programmes: beyond nutrition education, towards community collaboration. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, Volume 65,Number 4, November 2006, pp. 418-428.
- Rabiee, F (2004) Focus group interview and data analysis. Proceeding of Nutrition Society Vol.63, No 4, pp 655-660.
- Gabriele Berg-Beckhoff, Miia Bask, Signe Smith Jervelund, Julie Dalgaard Guldager, Aimee Quickfall, Fatemeh Rabiee Khan, Gummi Kjetil Kiira, Marko Sigrun, Veerle Vera and Sarah Van De Velde. Political stringency, infection rates, and students’ adherence to governmental recommendation in the Nordic countries and the UK during the COVID-19 outbreak. Journal of Preventative Medicine.
Papers in preparation
- Fatemeh Rabiee, Philip Dee and Karolina Biernat A retrospective analysis of the effectiveness of School based obesity prevention programme in West Midlands-UKin preparation for Journal of Health Education
- Fatemeh Rabiee-Khan, Natalia Frankowska, Kowalczyk, Katarzyna, Maher Titi, Rasmieh Alzeidan, Chris Hartley, Lau , Christine Yin-kei and Brown, Kyle Impact of social support on mental health and lifestyle changes in university staff: An international comparison study (Journal of Public Health).
- Fatemeh Rabiee, Karolina Biernat, Veerle Buffel, Sarah Van de Velde, Edwin Wouters, Claudia Maria Van der Heijde, Peter Vonk and Andreas Chatzittofis. The role of social behavior on students’ feelings of loneliness: An international comparison in higher education students during the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic (in preparation for British Journal of Health Psychology).
- Edwin Wouters, Fatemeh Rabiee Khan, Andreas Chatzittofis, Arnold-Broccati Petra, Yıldız Akvarda, Vera Skalicka, Marie-Pierre Tavolacci, Theoni Stathopoulos, Claudia van der Heijde, Heide Busse, Heide Busse and Robert Tholen. Cross-National Variations in Alcohol Use among Higher Education Students during the First Wave of the COVID-19 Pandemic: the Role of Government Containment Measures(considering various options where to submit)
Rabiee-Khan, Fatemeh, Frankowska, Natalia, Kowalczyk, Katarzyna, Titi, Maher Abdulrahim, Alzeidan, Rasmieh, Biernat, Karolina, Lau , Christine Yin-kei and Brown, Kyle. The impact of first wave of Covid -19 pandemic on university staff’s nutritional behaviour, health, and well-being: An international comparison study.