We currently have more than 1,500 undergraduate and postgraduate international students from over 80 countries at Birmingham City University.

Within the School of Nursing and Midwifery we have students from West Africa, South-East Asia, the Middle East and South Asia. We have built partnerships with a range of higher education institutions including Saxion University in the Netherlands, Aegean-Omiros College in Greece, and institutions in Malaysia and China.

As an international student it's likely there will be other students from your country studying here, and there will be many opportunities to make friends with people from different countries and cultures.

Courses available

We accept EU and International students onto the below programmes only. A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 is required across all programmes. If you do not currently have a score of 6.5, our Personal Development Department will be able to help. We offer a preparation programme that may be suitable.

Undergraduate level study

Open to healthcare professionals working in a healthcare environment

Dimensions in Healthcare

Research courses

Master of Philosophy (MPhil)

An MPhil usually takes two years by full-time study or three years by part-time study. However, there is no minimum period for the completion of the degree. You will complete a thesis but the criteria used in its assessment are different from those applied at PhD level. No 'original contribution' is required, which will allow other aspects of the discipline to receive more weight. The maximum registration period is three years full-time and four years part-time.

Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)

A PhD usually takes three years by full-time study or four years by part-time study. However, there is no minimum period for the completion of the degree. Your thesis must contain an original contribution to the understanding of the subject which is sufficiently important to merit publication. The maximum registration period is five years full-time and six years part-time.

Opportunities exist to transfer from MPhil to PhD if your progress demonstrates that development to this level can be achieved. You must submit a transfer report with your application, and undergo an oral examination.

We accept a wide range of overseas qualifications - to find out the entry requirements for students from your country, please visit our dedicated country pages

Please note that due to immigration regulations, non-European students are unable to enter the UK to undertake part-time courses.

Find out more about our research courses

General information

Our international pages contain all the information you'll need to know about the University and studying in the UK, including:

  • Tuition fees
  • Living costs
  • Bursaries
  • Accommodation
  • Student support
  • English language requirements