Media and Place
The Media and Place cluster brings together researchers at different career stages to explore the relations between media, culture and the geopolitics of place.
The Media and Place cluster brings together researchers at different career stages to explore the relationship between media, culture and the geopolitics of place. We are interested in ‘place’ as a geographical location and will focus on the role the media plays in cultural, social, political and representational processes in the Middle East and North Africa region, in Africa and the Caribbean. Beyond our focus on emerging economies, we will also consider marginal, hyperlocal and alternative spaces, in the UK, Europe and beyond. In this context, we specifically look at the role of the media in current debates on identity, borders and migration, as well as the persistence of colonial and imperial legacies in the current, post-Brexit moment and the Western-centric blindness/amnesia towards politics outside the West.
Areas of activity include:
- Media and conflict (with a focus on the Middle East and North Africa Region)
- Digital literacy and social impact in post-war and post-revolution countries
- Hyperlocal community media in the UK
- Media, place and music (Representation)
- Gender, media and African feminism(s)
- Community Media (Social Action)
- Citizen media and activist archives
- Migration and displacement; refugee-host community relations