Borrowing, renewing and returning
You can reserve library items that are currently unavailable because:
- All copies are on loan
- Copies are held at one of our other library sites
Please see our items not in stock information for advice with obtaining item not held in our libraries.
How do I reserve an item?
When reserving an item you will need to sign-in to Library Search using your university email address and password.
To reserve an item:
- Click on the item's title from your list of results in Library Search
- From the 'How to Get It' feature click on 'Request'
- Choose your pickup location - please note that you can only arrange collection at an alternative campus. If the item is available already then you cannot request it.
- Enter a date after which the item is no longer required
- Click on 'Send Request'
How will I know when my reserved item is ready to collect?
We will notify you by email when your reserved item is available to collect. From the date we send the email you have seven days to collect the item.
Reserved items should be borrowed using our self-service kiosks. Where you collect them depends on the library site:
|Curzon Library||Reservation shelves near to the library helpdesk|
|Mary Seacole Library||Reservation shelves near to the library helpdesk|
|School of Art Library||Reservation shelves near to the library helpdesk|
|School of Jewellery Library||Reservation trolley near to the library helpdesk|
All reserved items are filed under the first letter of your surname/family name and the first six digits of your borrower number, e.g. Tom Jones 11701178 would be filed under J117011.
How do I cancel a reservation?
When cancelling a reservation you will need to sign-in to Library Search using your university email address and password.
Cancelling a reservation you no longer need may allow another user to borrow it. To cancel a reservation:
- Expand the drop-down menu adjacent to your name
- Click on 'My Requests'
- Click on 'Cancel' next to the item you no longer require
- Click on 'Cancel It' to confirm
Browse for eBooks
Find out more about our eBooks as an alternative to reservations:
In case of an emergency, including when a First Aider is needed, contact Security from your mobile:
0121 331 6969
... or desk phone extension: