Borrowing, renewing and returning
You can request library items that are currently unavailable because:
- All copies are on loan
- Copies are held at one of our other library sites
Please see our items not in stock page for help requesting items that are not held in our libraries.
How do I request an item?
To request an item you will need to search for it via Library Search.
- Click on the item's title from your list of results in Library Search.
- Sign in using the "Birmingham City University students and staff" option.
- From the "How to Get It" section click on "Request".
- Choose your pickup location - please note that you can only arrange collection at an alternative campus. If the item is available on the shelf then you cannot request to collect it from the same campus.
- Enter a date after which the item is no longer required.
- Click on 'Send Request'.
How will I know when my requested item is ready to collect?
We will notify you by email when your requested item is available to collect. From the date we send the email you have seven days to collect the item.
Requested items should be borrowed using our self-service kiosks. Where you collect them depends on the library site:
|Curzon Library||Reservation shelves near to the library helpdesk|
|Mary Seacole Library||Reservation shelves near to the library helpdesk|
|School of Art Library||Reservation shelves near to the library helpdesk|
|School of Jewellery Library (St Pauls)||Reservation trolley near to the library helpdesk|
All requested items are filed under the first letter of your surname/family name and the first six digits of your borrower number, e.g. Tom Jones 11701178 would be filed under J117011.
How do I cancel a request?
When cancelling a request you will need to sign-in to Library Search using your university email address and password.
To cancel a request:
- Sign into My Account (request tab)
- Click on 'Cancel' next to the item you no longer require
- Click on 'Cancel It' to confirm
Browse for eBooks
Find out more about our eBooks as an alternative to requests:
In case of an emergency, including when a First Aider is needed, contact Security from your mobile:
0121 331 6969
... or desk phone extension: