English language and English tests
- Accepted qualifications and English tests
- Pre-sessional English courses
- In-country English
- Tests online - pay
- Tests online - schedule
We are pleased to introduce the BCU EPT Online Test. The online test will allow you to take your test at home. You can find more information and book a test on this page.
English language tests online
The BCU English Proficiency Test is used to assess your English language ability in the four skills of listening, reading, writing and speaking. Each part of the test is designed to activate the language skills you will need to begin a course of study at Birmingham City University, and it will report on your current level in each skill.
There is no single pass mark for everyone, because different courses at the university will require you to achieve a different level in the test. The test can be used as evidence of English language ability for any undergraduate or postgraduate course at Birmingham City University.
- The Listening, Reading and Writing tests will be delivered through a platform owned by Calibrand Ltd. and Examity Inc.. Your personal information and test performance will be collected and stored by these companies.
- Applicants who have already joined a Pre-sessional course or have accepted a Pre-sessional course offer will not be allowed to take the test.
- The test registration closes 10 days before the test dateor when the test is fully booked, whichever comes first.
- Each applicant is allowed to sit one test only in one calendar month. If an applicant books more than one test date and does not subsequently need to use all test spaces booked, they may not be entitled to a refund for any unused test spaces. (Please read the BCU EPT refund policy below.)
- Applicants will need to ensure they have the use of the following for all parts of the test:
- A quiet, private room
- Use of a working laptop or computer with webcam, microphone and speakers
- Google Chrome browser
- Strong and stable internet connection (minimum speed of 2Mbps)
How to book a BCU EPT Online Test:
The BCU EPT Online Test is delivered in two parts:
- Listening, Reading and Writing tests are delivered online in one session.
The test starts every half an hour between 9.00 and 11.30 (UK time) on test day.
The duration of the session is approximately two and a half hours –
Security and ID verification: 15 minutes
Listening: approx.30 minutes
Reading: 60 minutes
Writing: 45 minutes
- Speaking test will be available to book after you have completed the Listening, Reading and Writing tests. (20 minutes)
Please follow the steps below to book a place for our Online Test:
Step 1 – Make a Payment
- Please select a test date and complete your payment.
- You will receive a payment confirmation email once the payment is successful.
Step 2 - Register & Select Start Time
- One week before your test date, you will receive an email with instructions and details on how to register and select a start time for your test.
If you don't receive this email five days before your test, contact Testing@bcu.ac.uk.
Step 3 - Start on Time
- On your test day, make sure you start the test on time to complete your Listening, Reading and Writing tests.
- Your 'online examiner' will also be there to carry out security checks at the beginning of the test and monitor throughout the test.
Step 4 - Book Your Speaking Test
- After you have completed your Listening, Reading and Writing tests, you will receive an email with instructions on how to book your Online Speaking Test.
Please note, if you may require additional support due to a disability, we will usually need a minimum of 10 working days before the test date to identify and put this in place.