Who can qualify for the Academic Visitor Scheme?

Who qualifies as an academic visitor

To qualify as an academic visitor with Birmingham City University, you must be an academic who is:

  • Taking part in a formal exchange arrangement with a UK counterpart at Birmingham City University
  • Undertaking research for your own purposes whilst on sabbatical leave from your home institution.

An academic visitor must also provide evidence they have been working as an academic in an institution of higher education overseas, or in the field of their academic expertise immediately before applying for a place on our Academic Visitor Scheme.

You will not qualify for the Academic Visitor Scheme if you are:

  • A recent graduate,
  • On sabbatical leave from a private research company,
  • Post-graduate researcher who is undertaking studies leading to an accredited UK academic qualification,
  • Named researcher undertaking grant funded research,
  • Lecturer undertaking a series of fee - paid lectures.

For further information, please visit www.gov.uk.

Please note that Academic Visitors are not able to:
  • Register as a student
  • Work towards a qualification
  • Undertake paid work
  • Stay longer than 12 months