Muslim contribution in numbers
The numbers below demonstrate key contributions of Muslim soldiers and Indian territories on WW1.
- 1,500,000 - Indian soldiers in WW1
- At least 400,000 - Muslim soldiers from India in WW1
- At least 89,000 - Muslim soldiers who died fighting for the Allies in WW1
- At least 73,895 - Indian soldiers who died in WW1
- At least 34,000 - Arabs (with the Allies) who died in WW1
- 2% - British people aware of the extent of the Muslim contribution to WW1
- £479,000,000 - India’s financial and material contribution
- 60% - Percentage British Empire recruits who were Indian
- 20% - Percentage British Empire recruits who were Muslim
- 60% - Punjabis in the British-Indian Army
- 172,815 - Animals shipped from India
- 3,691,836 - Tonnes of supplies shipped from India.