Gemmology - MSc *
- Level: Postgraduate Taught
- Starting: September 2021
- Study mode: Full Time
- Location: School of Jewellery
Our Masters programme gives you the tools and techniques necessary to undertake research at the forefront of your chosen gemmological area.
Based in custom designed facilities within Birmingham’s Assay Office, in the historic Jewellery Quarter, you will have access to equipment more commonly seen in research laboratories, and, through our network of contacts, potential access to a greater range of tools.
What's covered in the course
This course encourages you to investigate gemmological questions and theories, by way of literature-based peer-reviewed research and practical testing.
You'll be supported throughout your studies by our experienced tutors, with a wealth of knowledge and experience between them - all recognised industry professionals.
As well as learning important skills for your future career development from our practical modules, you’ll learn valuable research techniques and analytical skills, which will stand you in good stead with future potential employers.
You will also benefit from the extensive network of gemmologists through our contacts in various organisations across the globe, including laboratories, museum, auction houses and various other related sectors.
Why choose us
- Birmingham School of Jewellery is celebrating 130 years of involvement in the jewellery trade in Birmingham. The gemmology department has, in recent years, relocated into custom-built facilities within the Assay Office, ensuring close industry contact and a dedicated environment for study.
- You'll instantly become part of the Faculty of Arts, Design and Media’s 6,000-strong student community, and you will be supported by our highly experienced staff, who are all nationally and internationally recognised.
- You will also benefit from interacting with a dedicated cohort of gemmology students, from those studying at undergraduate level upwards, enabling you to build a network of contacts from a varied range of backgrounds.
Sign up for updates
This course is brand new and we're just working on getting all the final details together. We'll be publishing detailed information about our new courses on the website over the next few weeks, as well as fees and how to apply. Sign up below and we'll send you an email as soon as more information is available.
This course is open to International students
Subject to approval
The content of this course has been refreshed and updated to make sure you graduate with the skills employers need in an ever-changing job market.
Our quality control experts are currently reviewing the content and we anticipate receiving formal approval shortly.
Our Gemmology students are based in new, state-of-the-art premises at Moreton Street in the Jewellery Quarter, within the Assay Office Birmingham building.
The purpose-built workshops are spacious and superbly well-equipped with equipment, samples and books. Within the department, there is access to some of the highest specification of equipment available for gemmological education in the world. Our students also have access to the further advanced equipment housed within the Assay office’s AnchorCert laboratory.
The Research Lab includes a range of spectroscopic analysis equipment, along with the latest diamond screening tools.
All of our staff are respected industry specialists, known throughout the gemmological world, with an extensive range of national and international contacts. All staff have presented workshops and talks at a range of gemmological conferences and societies.